• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Anyone play any instruments?

dadof4

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I play "at" the piano. :mrgreen: I can read music just fine but getting the connection from my brain to my fingers takes a little longer than it should sometimes.

My sister, however, is proficient. That would be 88keys; maybe she'll check in later and tell us about it. :D I think she is also working on another instrument.

• Members

Hello, Dadof4. I'm 88keys, a mom of 4. LOL I play the piano, I can play the organ if the situation requires it, and I recently bought a violin. I am privileged to use my abilities in our church on a weekly basis as church pianist.

• Members

I play the piano and have since I was 5 years old(miss my piano dearly here--have only seen one in a store that was like so far out of my price range I know it'll never make it to the Christmas list let alone the top)--- anyone got a piano they want to donate???? I do play the keyboard at church, but it just isn't the same. I can play the organ if I absolutely have to, but it's not my favorite.

I want to learn to play the violin and/or the flute. Everyone here in Guatemala is required to learn how to play the flute in school (don't ask me--makes no sense at all), so maybe the violin would be better choice--I like to be different.

Rhonda

• Members

My instrument playing began when my cousin gave me his trumpet. I played that untill all 4 french horn players graduated in one year and then switched to french horn (an easy switch). I asked my band teacher if I could also learn to play the baritone saxophone, and he gave me a few lessons. After a couple of lesson, I began to play it in our church orchestra.

From there, I have learned the following:

alto sax
tenor sax
clarinet
flute
oboe
baritone
piano
mountain dulcimer
hammered dulcimer
bowed psaltry
trombone (but not very well)

I also own the following, but have not learned how to play them yet:

zither (mint condition from Germany)
pianolin (kind of like a violin with chord strings running down the middle of it)
wooden flute and fife

Learning instruments has always come easy for me. I have challenged a lady in our church that writes music to give me any instrument, and in 15 minutes, I will play a song on it. She once gave me a "Nose Flute" and asked me to play it. She was surprised when she came back in 15 minutes to hear Beethoven's Fifth Symphony being played on it.

I love music, and have even written some arrangements for brass groups and even a french horn quintet.

Well, anyway, have a good day everyone.

Trent

• Members

Sounds like the Lord gave you quite a talent - keep using it for the Lord's glory!

bowed psaltry

I read that one too fast, and thought it said pastry! :saywhat I was thinking that it would be tasty, but wouldn't want to play it!

• Members

Thanks, I forgot about the tuba - I play that one as well. How I play it is differnt though. I don't read bass clef very well, so I read the bass clef as treble clef and transpose down 1/2 step and use the trumpet fingerings. I know it sounds hard, but it works for me.

Trent

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I play the flute, piano, clarinet, and play at the dulcimer. I mess around with my son's saxophone some, but I wouldn't call it playing! I am so thankful the Lord allows me to play in church and use what I enjoy the most to serve Him. I plunked the piano until four years ago when my husband said I could start taking lessons, in December I became the church pianist. I started playing the flute when I was 8 years old, and that is my favorite to play. (Although since I took the piano at church, I don't seem to get to play my flute much anymore!)