• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What is love?

• Members

What do you typically picture when the word 'love' is mentioned? Is it sweet-scented roses or gazing adoringly into the eyes of the one you want to spend forever with? If you're anything like me, that's the kind of picture of love that entered your mind. For us girls it may be the thought of securely being enfolded in the arms of the man who controls the speed of your heartbeat. For the guys it might be the thought of your sweetheart telling you how much she loves you and telling you you're her hero. Regardless of what your picture of love specifically looks like, it more than likely resolves around a person of the opposite sex, a person who can reach in and touch your heart with the slightest glance or smile.

Perhaps like me you have not yet found that love. Maybe as you read the above description, you were inwardly feeling the knife of sorrow and despair twisting in your heart for what you haven't experienced. Or maybe the thought reminded you of a pain, a loss, that shattered your heart.

But there's still hope. I'm not talking about you finding a boyfriend or girlfriend who will say "I love you" and make you feel cherished. I'm talking about you finding the purest, sweetest love you could ever imagine - the kind of love that goes far beyond what you have ever felt from anyone. It is the love of Jesus Christ.

I can almost see the faces of some of the people who will read this...some faces screwed up in disgust at the thought that I have proposed that being in love with a person does not compare with loving Jesus Christ. Then there's some who are nodding in agreement, declaring that they already love Jesus. Which ever group you may be in, I want you to open your heart and mind to a whole new concept: falling in love with Jesus Christ.

When it comes to romance, we typically think we've got things totally sorted out. Roses, whispered words of affection and candle-lit dinners come to mind. For anyone who is single and sees no prospect of that changing anytime soon, we feel cheated, robbed, stolen of the good time every couple seems to enjoy. We pray earnestly for someone to love with all that is within us, yet feel defeated when our God does not seem to provide that one.

What would you say if I told you He's answered your prayer? Would you look around you and cry "Where?" or excitedly go out in pursuit of whoever you think could fit? Neither of these will help you.

Jesus walks beside us daily, loving us with all He is and will ever be. He sends us flowers every day, makes our skies blue, and tenderly listens to the very deepest cries of anguish from our hearts. There is not a word we will ever utter that He will not listen to. There is not a tear we will shed that He will not wipe away.

When our day is glad He rejoices with us, and when tears of sorrow course down our cheeks, He weeps with us, holding us in His arms, and surrounding us with His love. When we just need a hug, His arms are open. There's no pressure to talk; in silence He comforts. Like a true knight-in-shining armor, he is eager to rescue us from the miry clay of sin whenever we find ourselves therein. When we were bound for death, He stepped up and died in our place. Is there any greater picture of love than in our Lord?

Next time you find yourself calling out to God for someone to love, remember He's already given you Someone. If we will but allow Him to fill that space in our lives, we will be loved and learn to love beyond our comprehension. We will learn to find complete, sweet satisfaction in the God we serve.

I know all that seems impossible. I know you don't think your desires will be satiated by the Lord. It seems a bit hard to believe. But let me tell you, the One who gave you those desires sure as anything knows how to fulfill them. When we seek human love before we seek to experience "heavenly love", things will not be what they should. God's design is for us to learn what love is from Him, thus equipping us for giving that kind of sweet, heavenly love to our future spouse.

Singleness is not a curse; rather, it is a time to learn a new depth of commitment to God by learning to love Him with all of our being.

We must learn to truly love Him before we can hope to keep Him first in our lives. A relationship, if it is to last, must be built on Jesus Christ and Him alone. For that relationship to achieve its full grandeur and beauty, it must keep Him in first place. Amidst emotion and star-gazing, to keep Him first can be incredibly difficult, but it is that much easier when both guy and girl have taken the time to strengthen this area as singles.

Singleness is a great opportunity, an opportunity to grow and develop spiritually and emotionally (as well as financially) for the pressures and responsibilities of a relationship, and ultimately, marriage. What you do with that opportunity will determine how solid your relationship will one day be.

• Members

Jesus walks beside us daily, loving us with all He is and will ever be. He sends us flowers every day, makes our skies blue, and tenderly listens to the very deepest cries of anguish from our hearts. There is not a word we will ever utter that He will not listen to. There is not a tear we will shed that He will not wipe away.

When our day is glad He rejoices with us, and when tears of sorrow course down our cheeks, He weeps with us, holding us in His arms, and surrounding us with His love. When we just need a hug, His arms are open. There's no pressure to talk; in silence He comforts. Like a true knight-in-shining armor, he is eager to rescue us from the miry clay of sin whenever we find ourselves therein. When we were bound for death, He stepped up and died in our place. Is there any greater picture of love than in our Lord?

Next time you find yourself calling out to God for someone to love, remember He's already given you Someone. If we will but allow Him to fill that space in our lives, we will be loved and learn to love beyond our comprehension. We will learn to find complete, sweet satisfaction in the God we serve.

What a blessed reminder! Thanks for posting this.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Wow... You really had me hooked in the beginning. The "perfect picture" of love. lol. Until I found myself frowning a bit. I guess I've been running from Him a bit. Or rather expecting to reach the finish line when I've got to take it step by step. At times I feel and realize that Jesus is all I need, but I can't say it remaines forever like you decribed it. There is always that conscious thought that He's there and the He's in control... Well, a lesson learned. Even if I'm really outdated on this subject, sincerely, thank you. It made being single something that should be taken advantage of. Sorry for my trip. ^ ^;

• 2 months later...