• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How do you minister to atheist?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

no, keep witnessing. YOu probably get a better result if you witness in person than on a computer.

I do a lot of witnessing in person and will continue to, just a little timid. I sweat sometimes. But what about the people on the forums, should I continue?

Love,
Madeline

• Members

Has your discussion reach a point where you are just repeating the same things over and over in a different way?
Do your reply contain anything "new" ?

If you answered both of these questions no I suggest you make a final "thanks for reading post" post and move on.

We are called to share the Gospel once you have done that the rest is up to the person and God. If the conversations isn't productive I see no reason to continue. Some people look for any opening to try and trip you up. If they don't see the truth before them there is little you can do to change that.

• Members

Has your discussion reach a point where you are just repeating the same things over and over in a different way?
Do your reply contain anything "new" ?

If you answered both of these questions no I suggest you make a final "thanks for reading post" post and move on.

We are called to share the Gospel once you have done that the rest is up to the person and God. If the conversations isn't productive I see no reason to continue. Some people look for any opening to try and trip you up. If they don't see the truth before them there is little you can do to change that.

No, not really! They hurt me emotionally there and I could not take it so I left. They don't want to learn. Some of their posts are filled with sexually explicit remarks and explitives which are too offensive to mention. But as you said, I will leave it up to God as of now since there has been no progress. Thank you!

Love,
Madeline

• Members

Madelin,

Remember we are just the messenger. It is the Holy Spirit through the Word of God that leads them to salvation. Make sure when you ae witnessing that you use as much scripture as you can.

1Cr 3:7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

It is easier said than done grace. I bombarded them with scriptures, they can't stand it when I quote scriptures, it makes them angry. I have made almost 80 posts in less than 2 days and nothing has progressed. If you think you can give them a change of heart, be my guest.

Love,
Madeline

• Members

Madeline,

We cannot force people to believe in God. We can only show them the truth. Remember I Corinthians 3:6

I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

We may never know (until we get to Heaven) the results of the seed we planted or watered, but God is the one responsible for bringing forth the new life.

Jim

• Members

One thing I have learned thus far from debating with the 'hard core' atheists on the forum is that they will never believe the bible unless you can bring scientific evidence of some sort to the table.

Love,
Madeline

yep..Thats why I wrote that some christans decided to be a theist evolutionist, or reject christianity altogether ( which proves that he was doubting Christ in the first place and was hoping someone could prove that his doubt is correct)

• Members

One thing I have learned thus far from debating with the 'hard core' atheists on the forum is that they will never believe the bible unless you can bring scientific evidence of some sort to the table.

There's a lot of good material on Biblical science out there. Kent Hovind is one of them. It's much easier to prove Biblical science than evolutionary. You should look into it, I'm sure you can find some good stuff on the web.

Kevin

• Members

Hi kevinmiller!

I was wondering if you do find some on the web, can you give me the links. I found a couple, but they were able to refute them. So apparently my sources failed.

Love,
Madeline

They will refute anything. They are blind. You have to let them know what sins is and why they need to a savior. give them the 10 commandments and ask them if they broke it. If they say no, they have not broken it, then tell them how they broke every commandments. Then tell them that it is because they are not God and need to understand that the HOLY, SINLESS God is the only who can save them. They can not enter heaven as a sinner. They have to trust Jesus to wash their sins away so they could enter heaven. I am not better at explaining but you probably could.

• Members

Madeline, Psalms18_28 is correct - they'll (the "hardcore" atheist) refute anything. To them, they would believe only in the things they call as "science" (which may not necessarily be genuine science, but science "falsely so called"). As I have said earlier, the last thing to do when witnessing to them is to "debate". I would recommend you to save all these Biblical Science for the agnostics, whom I believe are more receptive to the gospel.

This is a very long post... :)

One thing that the atheist does not know himself is what will happen after death. You can talk to them about this part (about the death of Man). Few days ago, I was reading on the Black Death. Very scary. It shows how all humanity, regardless of king, pope, noble, clergyman, farmer, peasant, maiden are all under the curse of sin: the body shall die. Notice humanity: how Man by nature dreads and fears death. We have been shown how every human, by nature, when their life is threatened, will struggle every bit for survival. This the atheist cannot deny.

Why does the unsaved (in this case the atheist) dread death? Surely it is they are not sure what happens after that, isn't it? Or is it because deep in their heart, they know someone will judge them for their works after death?

"And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:" - Hebrews 9:27

I am sure many of them well tell you, "When you die, you just die and that's it." But if that is true, then why does fallen, unregenerate Man continues to fear that thing, death? Expect varied answers from them. You can explain to them Scriptually
- Why Man deserves to die. (Broke God's Law)
- The gruesome penalty of sin (We must die)
- The presence of sin (All humanity must die)
- The Saviour comes
- How to escape from eternal death (turn to Christ)
Start from Hebrews 9:27. Other books like Ecclesiastes are helpful as well to explain the vanity of Man (especially if they live without God in their lives).

How about prophecy? In particular the Jewish people? What shall happen in the future (Revelation prophecies come to mind) Hasn't the Scriptures made so many prophecies about them? Another area to tell them.

I doubt any of them would believe, but by God's power anything is possible. However given how "hardcore" they are, I don't recommend you debate them. It most probably will not be fruitful.

• Members

Thank you ltl!

Those are some excellent pointers and your probably right about not debating with them. Someone there new that I was from IFB and even knew which thread I posted on which was strange, this thread in particular. As for what you wrote. You can preach a sermon from what you wrote in your excellent post! I just wish atheists would understand it from the spiritual perspective. Thanks ltl!

Love,
Madeline