• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

HOW OLD IS THE EARTH?

• Members

"[these] are the generations of..."

I learned from Hovind that these statements also meant a change in authors.  Only Adam could have recorded the first couple of chapters for example but it was Moses who put the whole book together.

• Members

"[these] are the generations of..."

I learned from Hovind that these statements also meant a change in authors.  Only Adam could have recorded the first couple of chapters for example but it was Moses who put the whole book together.

This would necessitate that Moses would have had to recieved tablets from Adam, Noah, and others.  It's more likely that the Israelites preserved their tradition orally and Moses wrote down what God told him to in the same manner as Leviticus.  Attemption to show different authors in Genesis is primarly rooted on the various forms of textual criticism that gave us the loathed Documentary (JEDP) Hypothesis that completely strips Moses of all authorship.

• Members

This would necessitate that Moses would have had to recieved tablets from Adam, Noah, and others.  It's more likely that the Israelites preserved their tradition orally and Moses wrote down what God told him to in the same manner as Leviticus.  Attemption to show different authors in Genesis is primarly rooted on the various forms of textual criticism that gave us the loathed Documentary (JEDP) Hypothesis that completely strips Moses of all authorship.

Agreed. We have to keep in mind that the Holy Ghost instructed the human writers of Scripture. If there are differences in style, they were placed there by the Holy Ghost.

This reminds me of the debate over the "authorship" of the book of Hebrews. There are those who say the style of Hebrews is that of Paul, while there are those who say the style is very different from Paul's. The important point is that Hebrews was inspired by the Holy Ghost.

Sometimes I cringe when I hear a pastor commenting upon some portion of Scripture and their comments focus entirely upon the human penman, making comments that make it seem as if the human writer is fully responsible for the writing, and making  a deal out of something. Totally neglected is that what's written there is ultimately there because of the Holy Ghost, not that human writer.

• Moderators

Right....well, for starters the WORLD is 6,000 years old...but Jesus made the "WORLDS" (see Hebrews 1).  The EARTH is the planet that the WORLD is on.  The Earth can exist without a world, but the world (current economy) cannot exist without the earth.  Things that make you go..."hmmmm."

Actually, I disagree that the earth could survive without the world, as it were:

"For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I [am] the LORD; and [there is] none else." (Is 45:18) If the Lord created the earth to be inhabited, then it makes sense it was created exactly as Genesis says it was: in six literal days, with man being created the sixth literal day, to inhabit the earth God made to be inhabited. Thus, the earth is only 5 days older than the 'world'. Hmmmmm...

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Hello ye all,

If God has established at least some parts of this creation for ever and ever (The non material creation) and they are not going to pass away, what is the chances that the earth is only 6000 or 12000 years old? that would make this the first 6000 years of a creation which will last for ever and ever.

Ps 148:4 Praise him, ye heavens of heavens, and ye waters that be above the heavens.
Ps 148:5 Let them praise the name of the LORD: for he commanded, and they were created.
Ps 148:6 He hath also stablished them for ever and ever: he hath made a decree which shall not pass.

Heb 1:10 And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands:
Heb 1:11 They shall perish; but thou remainest; and they all shall wax old as doth a garment;
Heb 1:12 And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail.

They shall be changed into a new heaven and a new earth.

Ec 3:14 I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it: and God doeth it, that men should fear before him.

• Members

I don't think we can be sure how much God told Moses, and how much was written or spoken history, I tend to think written more than oral, Job made reference to writing and Job might be the oldest book.

Ex 33:11 And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend.

Edited by Old-Pilgrim

• Members

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67f2JjeZ_84 Tares among the wheat has a good portion on the history of textual criticism, and its connection to the Jesuits.

• Members

"generations" (Hebrew toledot) can essentially be equated to "history" and/or "descendents".  In Genesis it is essentially used as a delimeter between subjects.  You'll notice that anytime you find a "[these] are the generations of..." the focus of the narrative shifts.  Examples:

So it might be similar to 'the chronicles of' like a volume of history.

• Members
There are some who try and make far too big a deal of this. They go to the point of proclaiming that those who don't agree with their interpretations of various things from the Creation account and other aspects from Genesis just might not be right with God. Some declare that without a proper (meaning their) interpretation of Genesis one can't be a solid Christian, can't witness properly and can't really believe the Bible.

Hello John,

Can you explain something:

In my thread 'Days of Creation', Sword and others were wondering where my faith was at because I 'don't agree with their interpretations of various things from the Creation account' and You said to me ' >>>'Wow! Why not just accept what Scripture says? Sword and others have given excellent answers already yet you continue to carry on which makes a person wonder "why".<<<<   

Edited by Old-Pilgrim
thechnical

• Members

Hello John,

Can you explain something:

In my thread 'Days of Creation', Sword and others were wondering where my faith was at because I 'don't agree with their interpretations of various things from the Creation account' and You said to me ' >>>'Wow! Why not just accept what Scripture says? Sword and others have given excellent answers already yet you continue to carry on which makes a person wonder "why".<<<<   

In the other thread you are denying the clearly given meaning of the Word of God as presented. Pointing that out doesn't question your salvation or whether you can present the Gospel accurately.

That said, I really don't think this needs to be discussed in two threads.

• Members

Hello ye all,

If God has established at least some parts of this creation for ever and ever (The non material creation) and they are not going to pass away, what is the chances that the earth is only 6000 or 12000 years old? that would make this the first 6000 years of a creation which will last for ever and ever.

Ps 148:4 Praise him, ye heavens of heavens, and ye waters that be above the heavens.
Ps 148:5 Let them praise the name of the LORD: for he commanded, and they were created.
Ps 148:6 He hath also stablished them for ever and ever: he hath made a decree which shall not pass.

Heb 1:10 And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands:
Heb 1:11 They shall perish; but thou remainest; and they all shall wax old as doth a garment;
Heb 1:12 And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail.

They shall be changed into a new heaven and a new earth.

Ec 3:14 I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it: and God doeth it, that men should fear before him.

I'd say the chances are pretty good based on the biblical reckoning of time/chronology.