• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Mission Trips

• Moderators

2 weeks w/ Sonny Fritz, Monterey, Mexico (1998). Taking our school seniors to Santa Rosa de Copan, Honduras as a senior trip to work w/ Ronnie Doss for 2 weeks (this Apr). When Uncle Sam had me in Korea for a year I spent every available weekend w/ Bro. McDonald in Sae Hoo Dong, or @ the deaf orphanage in Pyongtaek (both probably misspelled) (1980-1981).

Loved every minute of it, I always ask the missionaries to not treat me (or us ) as guest who are visiting, but rather, as if we were newbies coming to work w/ them (I the type of person who wakes everyone up @ 5am @ youth camp and have them make their racks and sweep the cabin, too).

I had no difficults parts (except leaving).

• Members

I went on two of them as a teenager - once to Monterrey, Mexico and once to Barbados. They are great for exposing teens to another culture and let them see that there's more to life than their little world. But as I look back on it now, I think we teens were more of a bother than a help to the missionaries that we were visiting. I suppose maybe those missionaries knew that ahead of time and viewed our visits as more of a help to our youth group than to recieve our help. The trip to Mexico was especially eye opening to a lot of us who had never seen much if any poverty. As I look back on my trip to Barbados, my main memory is more of a fun sight-seeing trip to the tropics than a mission trip. We did do ministry things, but it was a beautiful island afterall, and that's more what stuck in my memory.