• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Cowards-The Repentance Lie

Guest Guest

• Members
Why keep embarassing yourself?! I have already refuted all your arguements by using all the verses in the Bible
with the word "repent".I proved that at best,you can claim "repent unto salvation" because of unbelief,only!
Still the first event is hearing Gods Word,then Believing!, happens next....You are only circular reasoning Truth and making God out as a liar.You could say certain precepts of "repent" are necessary within the salvation experience,but it is err concerning the "Faith" to claim it the condition.Ultimately,(even if you are a "believer") many are led into a "works salvation". ( Doing more harm then good )
After leaving you with the same amount of verses as your ability to produce the word "repent" in the gospel of John,I supplied six times more verses,and left you last time with questions you can't explain away....
Bottom Line!God don't agree with you!!!!!!!

Preach Repentance,God commands it.....but concerning the gospel,"Thy FAITH hath saved thee"!!!!!!
Don't fustrate the Grace of God and make the law of grace none effect.

God commands us to repent, Jesus preached repent, Jesus sent the Apostles out to preach repentance, I wonder what part of that is not the Gospel of Christ? Are you now saying repentance isn't a part of the Gospel of Christ? I have patience with you that, you will get it some day. The good news is greater and more encompassing than you or I can fathom.

Why don't you admit, you can't see what you are turned away from, you don't know to turn and look unless someone tells you, you can't believe what you cannot hear, see, or comprehend through some sense, and they are all given by God. God gave preachers, repentance, and faith; that which is given of God, no man should take lightly. They are all given of God's grace. You have not refuted the doctrine of salvation and God's command, to repent.

Maybe, just maybe, if you were correct God might bless what you say and you would bear fruit acceptable to God. At present the only fruit you're showing is anger, animosity, discord, gnashing of teeth, and even hate. Can you tell who might be enjoying the fruit of your effort?

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I didn't roll on the ground crying, worried that earth was going to open up a swallow me into the depths of hell before I got saved. I didn't give up smoking, drinking, having fun, lusting, etc. before I got saved. Actually, I didn't give up smoking, drinking, having fun, etc. AFTER I got saved. I simply turned from my sinful state and asked Christ to save me from Hell and to be my Lord and Saviour. I believed. Do I need to give up the smoking, drinking, etc. in order to REALLY be saved? Or, is Christ's work sufficient?

• Members

?I didn't roll on the ground crying, worried that earth was going to open up a swallow me into the depths of hell before I got saved. I didn't give up smoking, drinking, having fun, lusting, etc. before I got saved. Actually, I didn't give up smoking, drinking, having fun, etc. AFTER I got saved. I simply turned from my sinful state and asked Christ to save me from Hell and to be my Lord and Saviour. I believed. Do I need to give up the smoking, drinking, etc. in order to REALLY be saved? Or, is Christ's work sufficient??

Hello Hambone,

I don?t know that rolling around on the ground would have accomplished anything other than getting you dirty and tears are optional within our salvation experience. You and Lazarus have both made the charge that repentance is not required for salvation? Don?t know what the coward comment is reference to since most on this board if not all can give reason why they believe certain things.

My question to you and Lazarus would be what is repentance required for? Obviously Jesus himself said repentance was required to enter the kingdom and in order to not perish and the scriptures go on to tell us that God commands men everywhere to repent. If repentance is required as evidenced by the amount of verses shown then what is repentance required for?

Concerning smoking and drinking and fun (whatever that is), believers everywhere are confronted with their particular cultural struggles that are not necessarily sin for everyone in all places. There are certain temptations that are common to all men but how we handle those temptations is what constitutes sin. To say that taking a drink is a sin would be hard to prove but to say drunkenness is a sin is easy to prove. Sin never changes and if partaking of alcohol were a sin then it would always have been a sin and if smoking a cigarette is a sin then it would have always been a sin. Therefore the use of your two examples is not relevant to the discussion at hand.

What is relevant is a changed life for a changed life is the evidence of a life that has been marked by repentance. Now I believe along with others that repentance and believing are simultaneous actions of faith for in order to turn to Christ you must turn from something and in order to turn from ruling your own life (we all did) we have to believe in Christ and turn to Christ as an action of that belief, but it is our faith that activates both our belief and our repentance. Peter said: to whom shall we go Thou hast the words of life.

I understand (to a point) your argument that repentance in and of its self is a work (Matt 12:43-45 and Luke 11:24-26) and I agree. But the bottom line is that repentance is part of your salvation but only if it is exercised within the frame work of belief and faith.

Orvals

• Members

orvals said : "But the bottom line is that repentance is part of your salvation but only if it is exercised within the frame work of belief and faith."

We are actually in agreement. I believe that by believing and calling upon the name of Jesus, you are in effect repenting.

As far as the activities I mentioned, I have never had to repent from those things. I was saved when I was the very young age of 9 years old. Many IFBs question whether a nine year old can have a true salvation experience. This question is based on the focus on repentence. They want to SEE the repentance. They want to SEE the Godly sorrow. They want to see the change. A nine year old (back then) didn't have much to repent of, other than telling fibs or swiping cinnamon sticks from the convenience store.

As I said, I was nine years old. I hadn't done much to destroy my life at that point, and the sins I had committed at that point in no way led me to the Lord. I knew the simple fact that I was born was reason enough for me to go to hell due to the inheritance of Adam's sinful nature. With childlike faith, I accepted what Jesus Christ accomplished. I knew there was NOTHING I could do to save myself, that I must trust wholly in what Jesus did for me when He accepted MY punishment in MY place. If someone would have tried to explain Godly sorrow, repentance, etc. to me at that point, I would have been confused. I knew God had a gift for me, God had already paid the price, and all I had to do was accept it. If I HAD to do anything in return, the Bible would be fallable, God a liar, and mankind would ALL be hellbound.

As a saved person, I am indwelt (?) with the Holy Spirit and my sould longs to do those things that are right, even though, at times, my flesh wins over the spirit. Paul seemed to have the same experience when he talked about that which he would do he didn't, and what he wouldn't do he did, etc. I would say if there is no internal battle within a person when making a wrong choice, that person is very likely unsaved; or he/she has reached a point in his spiritual life where grieving the spirit no longer grieves him/her--in which case, I would fear for my life, because if God can't use you, He'll likely bring you home.

• Members
I didn't roll on the ground crying' date=' worried that earth was going to open up a swallow me into the depths of hell before I got saved. I didn't give up smoking, drinking, having fun, lusting, etc. before I got saved. Actually, I didn't give up smoking, drinking, having fun, etc. AFTER I got saved. I simply turned from my sinful state and asked Christ to save me from Hell and to be my Lord and Saviour. I believed. Do I need to give up the smoking, drinking, etc. in order to REALLY be saved? Or, is Christ's work sufficient?[/quote']

You said above, " I simply turned from my sinful state and asked Christ to save me from Hell and to be my Lord and Saviour. I believed.

They are all gifts after all and NONE came from us but, were given by God; even His Word, if mechanics is that important to you, had to be the first gift.

Christian God fearing men don't behave this way while having a discussion about our Lord's gift of salvation. You sound as if your only concern is to show yourself right. Other men I've gotten to know here --even upset--would be respectful because they are talking to you out of Christ's love. Have you recieved Jesus as your Lord and Saviuor? Believed the truth that Jesus came down to earth to die crusified on the cross for your sins and mine-we're all sinners right?--then rose again the third day --was in the reserrected body talking and feasting with others and then ascended into heaven where he goes to prepare a place for you and will come again and place His feet on the MT> of Olivete-just like He left He says He'll come back? If so sir, I'm sure your life changed!! You were made a new creature in Christ and never want to walk your own way again -you want to do LORD"S will because the Holy Spirit lives inside you. If this is true....you Repented !! So where is the problem? the arguement? I don't see it ! Do you now? IN Christ's love--PIXIEDUST :pray :pray for you!

Why keep embarassing yourself?! I have already refuted all your arguements by using all the verses in the Bible
with the word "repent".I proved that at best,you can claim "repent unto salvation" because of unbelief,only!
Still the first event is hearing Gods Word,then Believing!, happens next....You are only circular reasoning Truth and making God out as a liar.You could say certain precepts of "repent" are necessary within the salvation experience,but it is err concerning the "Faith" to claim it the condition.Ultimately,(even if you are a "believer") many are led into a "works salvation". ( Doing more harm then good )
After leaving you with the same amount of verses as your ability to produce the word "repent" in the gospel of John,I supplied six times more verses,and left you last time with questions you can't explain away....
Bottom Line!God don't agree with you!!!!!!!

Preach Repentance,God commands it.....but concerning the gospel,"Thy FAITH hath saved thee"!!!!!!
Don't fustrate the Grace of God and make the law of grace none effect.

• Members
Christian God fearing men don't behave this way while having a discussion about our Lord's gift of salvation. You sound as if your only concern is to show yourself right. Other men I've gotten to know here --even upset--would be respectful because they are talking to you out of Christ's love. Have you recieved Jesus as your Lord and Saviuor? Believed the truth that Jesus came down to earth to die crusified on the cross for your sins and mine-we're all sinners right?--then rose again the third day --was in the reserrected body talking and feasting with others and then ascended into heaven where he goes to prepare a place for you and will come again and place His feet on the MT> of Olivete-just like He left He says He'll come back? If so sir' date=' I'm sure your life changed!! You were made a new creature in Christ and never want to walk your own way again -you want to do LORD"S will because the Holy Spirit lives inside you. If this is true....you Repented !! So where is the problem? the arguement? I don't see it ! Do you now? IN Christ's love--PIXIEDUST :pray :pray for you!

:goodpost: Pixiedust! :amen:

• Members

Friend Lazarus,

Let me begin by saying I used to be in a "big" soul winning church that taught as you are saying. It sounded good at the time, but as I read the scriptures, something became apparent to me, namely, the heartbeat of God. Notice:

Lam 3:40 Let us search and try our ways, and turn again to the LORD.

Now I know this is talking to God's people Israel, but it still reflects the heartbeat of God. Turn, repent, come to Me. That is the heartbeat of God. To the lost, turn, repent, come to Me, to the saved who have gotten away from a loving Father, turn, repent, come to Me. It is the same message.

I understand John did not say repent, but that does not negate the brethren in the Bible who did.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Bro. Ben

• Members

Annie,"The next,he has changed his mind about what he believes"...But first,he "believes"something different!,are you not listening?Some one,has played antics and semantics with you and bewitched you,and concerning the "faith" ye do err.Now you are all mixed up in circlular reasoning,tring to set some,one deffinition to "repent" .

Lazarus (or Zealot, if that's what you're going by now), I don't believe you've defined repentance. If you have, I've missed it. Could you define it, please? What is repentance? What does the word itself mean? How do you arrive at your definition? (Remember, Scripture records God as "repenting." Your definition of the word would need to be broad enough to include this fact.)

• Members

Mr.1 Tim guy,
Calling yourself 1Tim I would think you would learn to "rightly divide the word of truth"
Besides,I already proved you wrong,and the first time I did that I used ALL the verses with "repent" leaving you with none....which is the same amount of times the word "repent" appears in the gospel of John.
I also gave 6 times more verses then you. Grow up,get saved and "REPENT"!!!!!

Who exactly do I believe you or God's word. God commands us to repent, and Jesus began His ministry teaching us to repent. You say it's a work to repent, I say it's a gift of God. What does God say?

Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
Matthew 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
2 Timothy 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

I know salvation is of faith but, God thought it very important for us to repent. So, I'll go with God.

You try to ignore that God commands repentance, don't you?

You never answered any of the above for me. What else are you adding to your resume? You already have anger, hate, discord; these are the fruits of the spirit you have?

• Administrators
trc123,
As I already explained,God built the bridge and provided Himself the toll! The gospel soo simple even a "troll" can understand.(Dumb-Dog)
Hambone,
You almost got it right,you believed and then you "repented".These guys just don't get "Faith cometh by hearing".....you gotta hear the report and "believe" before any change comes.......they deny the plain sence of scripture.
Mr.1 Tim guy,
Calling yourself 1Tim I would think you would learn to "rightly divide the word of truth"
Besides,I already proved you wrong,and the first time I did that I used ALL the verses with "repent" leaving you with none....which is the same amount of times the word "repent" appears in the gospel of John.
I also gave 6 times more verses then you. Grow up,get saved and "REPENT"!!!!!

Preacherben,
You do err concerning the faith. "Repent" is a by-product of "faith"......."thy faith hath saved thee"

Mr. Zealot, arrogance is not becoming to a Christian. This post drips of it.