• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Homeschool Vs Christian School

• Members

John,

Self study is usually detrimental to them when they get to college. We have been on a number of college campuses and have seen young people who are struggling because their parents handed them the papers and simply checked it after. There is much more to school than simply doing the work. Even the best curriculums are not meant to be self-taught. The ones that are, well, I have my opinion on their value. Your children need to learn how to listen to a teacher. How to take notes. These are are learned skills for college. Self-taught homeschoolers struggle when they get to college because they have not learned these skills.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Awesome posting PastorJ...

The only thing I slightly disagree with is the college ability of students who self study... on the contrary I think one of the downfalls of some currculums out there is too MUCH "drilling" which teaches the students they can learn everything in class without outside study. I am not advocating self study but I have seen kids who come from ACE or a self study homeschool situation and they excel.

• Members

I know many people who use the self-study curriculums that will tell you that it took them the first year of college to learn how to study and take notes. I do not recommend these curriculums.

As to drill. It is interesting that this was the method of learning until about 50 years ago. Teachers drilling their students in the classroom and then parents re-drilling at home so that the children have learned it. Our curriculums today, for the most part, have removed this and parents no longer do it at home.

I apologize in advance if I offend someone, but education is something that my wife and I believe is critical in the rearing of children. We have also seen numerous families who take the typical homeschool approach of doing whatever and whenever. In almost every case, their children are not reading smoothly, clearly, or sometimes even properly. Their math skills are terrible, but they are getting straight A's in their curriculum.

• Members

I completely agree with you, PastorJ, and I assume you are talking about the average student. The students I am talking about were above average and excelled in anything they were given.

I am also a teacher and also have experienced public school, traditional Christian, ACE Christian, and homeschool all in my own experience growing up. Most homeschoolers do not do their job right...especially those who think homeschooling means they get to sleep in instead of get up and get their kids ready for school. :roll: Also those who only spend 3 hours a day in school make me wonder as well. In PA, the schools have to have a required number of hours actually in school.

I would never bedgrudge a family taking homeschooling seriously...but too many just do it because they want to do things their own way and they really shortchange their children. I've seen other problems too but won't go into them.

I may have to make the homeschooling choice down the road... if so, I will have to do it with full knowledge of what I am getting into, and make sure my children will get everything they need.

Awesome posting PastorJ...

The only thing I slightly disagree with is the college ability of students who self study... on the contrary I think one of the downfalls of some currculums out there is too MUCH "drilling" which teaches the students they can learn everything in class without outside study. I am not advocating self study but I have seen kids who come from ACE or a self study homeschool situation and they excel.

:goodpost:!!!

I was homeschooled through ACE, and then my last two years of high school were at the Christian school at our church. That was almost like homeschooling, cuz we used ACE there too...it was just with a larger group of kids. I did most of my studying in high school completely on my own. The only subjects I needed some help in were Math (Algebra and Geometry) and Civics and Economics. Most of the other stuff was easy enough for me to figure out on my own.

I haven't gone to college yet...(I plan on going to Bible Institute, not a secular college)...but I doubt I'll have any trouble taking classes.

:)

• Members

This may not be an issue for you, but in most cases ACE has not prepared young people for a lecture setting that is prevalent at any good Christian College. My suggestion is to take notes during every sermon. By taking notes during sermons the ACE student can overcome this deficiency. Though this is not ideal, it is better than getting to college and not knowing how to take notes.

• Members

Yes, I agree that homeschooling isn't always the best option in every case. I've taught in Christian schools, set my children to Christian school, and I have homeschooled for about 13 years. I attended a very below average public school and attended a state college. Been there, done that.

• Members

I will say that I have seen homeschools like Suzy has described, but that is not the same for everyone. I was reading fluently by the time I was 4. I graduated from high school at 17 and I have 60 college credits from home study. For some, their kids get a lousy education because they are too lazy to teach them correctly. For others, and I think this is more of the norm(at least in the north), homeschoolers get a far better education than those who are publicly educated.

• Members

Kevin, I have seen quite the opposite. The majority of home school families we have met do not put the effort in. They give their kids the papers and say when your done your done. There is little to no teaching done. The kids get an inferior education and severely struggle in college.

With that said, I think home schooling is a wonderful option for parents if they are willing to put the effort in and stick to it. It is interesting that Home schoolers take a lot of heat from the state. The reason is because the norm is not producing stellar students, but inferior. If the norm were well educated kids, then more people would be flocking to it than there are. A great Christian school will have no trouble with enrollment. However, an inferior one will struggle. Same is true with your private schools.

Home schooling is an excellent choice, as well as a good Christian school. If you are going to home school, then the points I made must be followed or you will produce uneducated children.

• Members

For others, and I think this is more of the norm(at least in the north), homeschoolers get a far better education than those who are publicly educated.

I'd have to agree with this, Most public school teachers will either homeschool their children or put them in a private school. I only know of one women who mainstreams her children. They are in the same school she teaches at. All the others that I know personally homeschool or private school thier kids. That proves to me how BAD the schools are in CT. :(

• Members

You do raise some good points Pastorj. I should have been more clear though. I was only speaking of the currciulum we use, which is Alpha Omega Lifepacs.

The Lifepacs are geared for the student to be albe to read the directions, read the examples of new information, and do the work on their own; for the most part.

However, we also do other activities, such as writing book reports, giving oral reports, reading and discussing literature and outside history work, etc. We also sometimes watch lectures on DVD as well as preachers and documentaries. Discussions and/or reports often stem from these as well.

At the moment, neither of our sons are showing inclinations towards college. If that changes then I will be sure do some "college prep" with them in a more specific manner.

• Members

I went to Christian school through 3rd grade, public school in 4th grade, and homeschooled after that. Now, I'm about to graduate in May from a state university with a degree in engineering.

I was one the "self-taught" homeschoolers. My mom took time and taught me math (though Algebra 2, I took trig and calc at the Christian school) and English. Other than that, I pretty much taught myself everything else including science like chemistry and physics.

I did have trouble adjusting to college in my first year, and my grades showed it. However, I was also lazy and unmotivated my first year and put forth the minimum effort possible. I was like that until it reached a point where I had to shape up or drop out. Now, I'm in the top 5 in my class, and a large part of it is because I'm able to teach myself. Even now, I still HIGHLY prefer to study alone. Not because I'm unsociable but because I learn more and faster that way. Once I learned how to effectively use lectures and notes (and got a better attitude), college was fine.

Learning to teach yourself developes thinking and reasoning skills you won't get elsewhere. I'm not saying it's correct for everything. I certainly benefited far more from having my mom (who has a master's degree in accounting) teach me math than I would have teaching it to myself. There are definitely downsides to it, and it should never be used exclusively; however, I found it to be positive overall. I also benefited from having two grandfathers with PhDs in engineering if I had science questions my parents couldn't answer. Resources like that are also important to have.