• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Anti-Homeschooling Excuses: Are They Valid?

• Members

Actually, the whole point of the article is dealing with those who believe they have been called by God to homeschool.

The article isn't about those who DON'T believe they are called to homeschool.

How many people are truly called by God to homeschool and say no? :huh:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

How many people are truly called by God to homeschool and say no? :huh:

I don't know. I've encountered some parents who say they think God wants them to homeschool but then they give several reasons why they are not doing so. I've read of people who say they believe God wants them to homeschool but they keep chickening out.

I've also read of several families which felt called to homeschool but they didn't actually start homeschooling until some years later.

• Members

Oh okay...

Most people I know either do or don't, and they usually have a pretty firm reason for either. I don't doubt that people like you described exist, I guess it just hasn't been in my experience.

• Members

For those who have already made the decision, yes they are most often very firm in their conviction.

However, for most who consider homeschooling (or at least for many, I suppose I can't really say most) the decision is often a rather scary one. I've read countless stories of folks who hesitated, tried to think of other options, fretted over whether they could 'do school' or if they were on the right track or whatever.

Then, once folks make the decision and do it for awhile, things tend to fall into place and they are happy and content with homeschooling.

• Members

Homeschooling is okay. I don't think you can be dogmatic about it. I personally believe a good Christian school is better than homeschooling, but if one isn't available, then home school. Personally I'd rather be talking to my kids many years down the track telling them the stuff we did at school with friends, and share all the fun memories we had, all the stupid things we did and so forth, than to tell them that I stayed at home all day with mum doing homework, and then maybe see some friends during the week and playing with them for a little while. No real memories there.

-Alen

• Members

Most of my memories from public school involve sin and isn't something I want to sit around discussing with my children.

Public school: kids talking dirty and filthy all day long; girls trying to look sexy, guys trying to act cool, guys trying to see as much as they can looking at the girls in their revealing outfits, talking tough, fighting to prove you are tough or cool, cheating and lieing left and right, lusting each day, guys bringing Playboys to school, girls bringing Playgirls to school, some of the kids doing drugs in the parking lot or drinking homemade wine and smoking cigarettes, etc.

I'm glad my children don't have to go through that!

• Members

Public school: kids talking dirty and filthy all day long; girls trying to look sexy, guys trying to act cool, guys trying to see as much as they can looking at the girls in their revealing outfits, talking tough, fighting to prove you are tough or cool, cheating and lieing left and right, lusting each day, guys bringing Playboys to school, girls bringing Playgirls to school, some of the kids doing drugs in the parking lot or drinking homemade wine and smoking cigarettes, etc.

I don't know where you went to school, but not all public schools are like that. Where I grew up, the public schools were MUCH better than most of the so-called Christian schools. (I'm not saying they were all bad, but the ones I knew of were.)

When choosing a school for your children, you must look at all of the options available and choose which one you think is best.

• Members

When it comes to our children we should always pray for the Lords guidance and be sure we do what is best for them.

The Christian schools in this area are very little different than the public schools. I've not been in a public school that wasn't a hotbed of sin. If you attended one that's a great blessing.

Every public school I've ever been in, both while I was a school age young man and since then, has been nothing but sin, sin, sin.

• Members

I don't know where you went to school, but not all public schools are like that. Where I grew up, the public schools were MUCH better than most of the so-called Christian schools. (I'm not saying they were all bad, but the ones I knew of were.)

When choosing a school for your children, you must look at all of the options available and choose which one you think is best.

My experience is the same as yours herman. I graduated from public school in 1980, my wife in 1982, and my son gradated from public school in 2005 (same county system, two different schools). While the Schools were far from perfect they were very different from what most describe here. The teachers actually care, the kids weren

• Members

When it comes to our children we should always pray for the Lords guidance and be sure we do what is best for them.

:amen:

I should also have added before, that the best thing to do if you have chosen a school is to BE INVOLVED!!!! My mother NEVER missed a parent/teacher conference. Although I hated it at the time, it was good for both her and me. If I were to send my child to a school, I would make sure that I or my wife took every opportunity we had to visit the school and be involved in my child's education. (Obviously, that's hypothetical since I don't have a child or a wife. :lol: )

The Christian schools in this area are very little different than the public schools. I've not been in a public school that wasn't a hotbed of sin. If you attended one that's a great blessing.

Every public school I've ever been in, both while I was a school age young man and since then, has been nothing but sin, sin, sin.

I'm not trying to dispute that you've been in and seen some bad school. I'm only trying to say that there are good and bad public schools just like there are good and bad Christian schools and good and bad situations for homeschooling.

The public school I went to had a dress code that was strictly enforced and a code of conduct that was strictly enforced as well. When there started to be a problem with kids walking off campus to smoke, they closed the campus almost immediately and took care of the problem. There was a problem with cheating, but anyone who got caught received a zero on the assignment and was usually either given an office detention or a suspension. Obviously, it was not perfect and there were plenty of problems, but it was completely different than the way that most people seem to describe public schools.

• Members

I attended a small, rural public school. Most of the students and teachers attended the same churches. The same could be said of most of the public schools in the area.

Even so, the talk was constant cussing, the topic was most often about sex, the guys and girls were mostly obsessed with having a boyfriend/girlfriend, there was always someone in the parking lot drinking liquor, smoking a cigarette or joint, most of the girls tried to dress sexy, most of the guys tried to dress cool or tough, etc.

I visited most of the public schools in my area when I was in school and they were all the same, only some were worse than others. My wife and I both graduated in 1981. The schools my wife attended in Texas were even worse!

It's good to hear not all public schools are like that, but the public schools in four states that I'm familiar with were like what I described when I was in school and today they are even worse. :sad

• Members

Homeschooling is okay. I don't think you can be dogmatic about it. I personally believe a good Christian school is better than homeschooling, but if one isn't available, then home school. Personally I'd rather be talking to my kids many years down the track telling them the stuff we did at school with friends, and share all the fun memories we had, all the stupid things we did and so forth, than to tell them that I stayed at home all day with mum doing homework, and then maybe see some friends during the week and playing with them for a little while. No real memories there.

GOOD REPLY!!! I totally agree. My kids LOVE their friends, they love playing on the same basketball team, Their coach is the principal's son and coaches H.S. basketball, they get to be "prepped" for Jr and Senior High basketball. I want to document the fun that they have had together and growing up together and "good boys" having a great time together. My middle son has 3 friends and they are "TIGHT" and each of us mothers agree, we couldn't have picked better friends for our sons, if we went out and did it ourselves. They picked each other. It's wonderful when they pick the friends you would want them to have.

• Members

I agree...I myself experienced public school, Christian school, and homeschool, and I would say I much preferred Christian school as a kid. Not to say we do everything our kids prefer, but.... I just really like Christian school. Not to mention that before I had kids I was a Christian schoolteacher. :thumb

• Members

I have a 6 year old boy and if you are one that feels you are able to handle the various and necessary subjects, with which a young person must become familiar, then home school is fine. A Christian school is equally as good, provided it does incorporate proper Christian principles. Only you can make the decision; but, in my mind, both are indeed "head-and-should" above our secular school system.