• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Curriculum help please.

• Members

My husband and I want to home-school our children but all of the curriculum we have looked at is out of our financial reach. Our pastor's wife has offered to borrow us her BJU video that she has and some teachers guides but that is still spendy. Does anyone know of some less expensive materials out there that are easy for a first time homeshool teacher?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I know that this will not be financially in your range, but the Abeka curriculum is the best out there, especially in reading. Whatever curriculum you use, make sure you use the Abeka Phonics Reading program. If you look on Ebay, you should be able to buy most of the books you need fairly inexpensive.

Whatever help we can offer, feel free to pm us

I intend to mix and match curriculums. Anyway ACE is cheap but I don't recommend them, they aren't as "academic" as the rest of the stuff out there. If you can't afford to do BJU video stuff, you can do the curriculum without the videos, and that is cheaper. I hope to just mix and match what is available out there.

Katy-Anne

• Members

Our daughter Ciera is 9, will be 10 in March will be in the 5th grade next year. She is currently in Public School but we feel that thing are going to have more of an effect on her now that she is getting older. My two boys are 2 & 3, will be 3 and 4 by sept next year. We are undecided right now if we will send them to public school for a few years for just teach them at home.

So to sum it up... a 10 year old and a 4 year old.

• Members

k-4 with Abeka is pretty cheap. Mostly reading, writing and art. It is also not necessary.

5th grade video would be about $800.
5th grade curriculum w/out video would cost about $400 from Abeka and probably about 100-200 privately.

The video allows you to pay monthly. The cost would be $106 per month for 8 months.

• Members

k-4 with Abeka is pretty cheap. Mostly reading, writing and art. It is also not necessary.

5th grade video would be about $800.
5th grade curriculum w/out video would cost about $400 from Abeka and probably about 100-200 privately.

The video allows you to pay monthly. The cost would be $106 per month for 8 months.

Would that cover all subjects?

• Members

Yes, those costs cover everything. I have two kids in videos. There was an initial security deposit (which you get back) and then $106 per child per month. This covers all books (student and teacher) along with the videos. It really is economical. When you have more than one student in school, there is a multi-child discount. If you have children in the same grade, it is even less as there is a same grade discount.

I would be happy to help you out anytime, feel free to pm or email me.

• Members

The abeka is great, but my purse didn't always go that direction. My preferences in the elementary grades:

Reading & grammar: Pathway books with the workbooks
(average less than $10 per child)
History & Science: Abeka is my choice
Math: Saxon first choice--Abeka 2nd

I shopped www.vegsource.com/homeschool and other sites to get the best deals on used books. I have usually averaged around $200 per child per school year on the
elementary level. Sometimes more sometimes less. The bargains are there, if you're willing to look, and it's amazing how the Lord supplied through the years. We've been doing it since '93.

• Members

We really enjoy the ACE for reading and I could loan you the teachers ed. We do the BJU Homesat and enjoy it very much. My daughter will be doing 5th grade next year also. If you opt for the dvd's the cost of the dvd's and books is around $1,000.00. The Satalite is much cheaper though. The pre-k is very cute also my 2yr. old enjoys it now.

My cousins use the sonlight cirruculum and they enjoy that but I don't know much about it.

• Members

I also really recommend research.
If you really want to be involved in the actual teaching, then you will save money that way. Using a textbook, a workbook, and dividing the material to stretch thourhg a school year will determine approximately how much material to cover daily. Then you can adapt that to whatever learning style your child has.
Remember, what works for one family may not work for another. And you know your abilities as well as how far the checkbook will go. The library can definitely fill in the gaps, too.
There are different discussion groups on the vegsource site I mentioned previously. I have learned a wealth of things from there (especially high school! whew!). Also, sign up for a newsletter or two. I get the Homeschooler's Notebook from this site:
http://www.familyclassroom.net/