• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Lent

Vir - I don't really think they are irrlevent to the Christian's life. We don't observe Lent. We don't believe that Lent is necessarily a good thing to observe - tradition of men and all that (you know' date=' some of the same charges that are hurled at fundies...). However, whatever time of year a Christian pulls away from any influence from the world (and everyone would have to admit, tv is!) to spend more time with the Lord is good.[/quote']

Of course they are irrelevant.

Once upon a time, the Catholic church was the only institution that allowed songs, outside of scriptural songs, to be sung in church - and by a congregation at that. The worship choir is a direct derivative of Catholic tradition. Organs, pianos, and secular musicians are all part of Catholic heritage. This does not make them wrong, in and of themselves. The same rule applies to a church who wanted to install a kneeling bench or institute a 40-day period of re-focusing on God.

Like I said, this argument (as with most) is all about semantics. If he did the same thing (as lent) but called it a different name - no one would have a problem (well, I'm sure some would). The accusation hurled at "fundies" (of which I consider myself to be, in truth) is normally that they lock God in a box of historical tradition - not that they place tradition over Him. Isaiah had this problem, until around chapter 6, when all of the sudden - it became clearly relevant to him. God wasn't a God of the past, He is the God of NOW.

I don't care what the Catholics did 200, 20, or 2 years ago. All of that is irrelevant. If they did something right, it would be completely ignorant to say, "A Catholic did that, so I will not."

When I say it is irrelevant, I mean (and it is obviously proven) that it is irrelevant to what SHOULD BE the goal of a true believer.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Lent is a man-made tradition, not something biblical. If an individual feels led of the Lord to set something aside as ina fast and devote special time to pursuing personal holiness then that's wonderful, but in keeping with Scripture, this should be a private matter.

Keeping a yearly ritual is not what the Lord desires. The Lord desires our obedience on a daily basis throughout the year.

Lent is a man-made tradition' date=' not something biblical. If an individual feels led of the Lord to set something aside as ina fast and devote special time to pursuing personal holiness then that's wonderful,[b'] but in keeping with Scripture, this should be a private matter.

This is the post in this thread with which I most agree.

Keeping a yearly ritual is not what the Lord desires. The Lord desires our obedience on a daily basis throughout the year.

I doubt He'd discourage it.

"What? You gave that up while performing one of your yearly rituals to me? You didn't change because of a daily obedience? I reject you and your change, please go back to the way you were."

Not likely.

• Moderators
I doubt He'd discourage it.

"What? You gave that up while performing one of your yearly rituals to me? You didn't change because of a daily obedience? I reject you and your change, please go back to the way you were."

Not likely.

When you call such an activity a ritual, are you referring to a habit you have chosen to implement yourself (like a specific amount of time for devotions or so many tracts to give away in a day) or an activity ordained by an outside source (like Lent when observed by Catholics who think they HAVE to participate in such a thing)? Remember Christ warns us against such outwardly instituted rituals. "...teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."
Matt. 7:22-23 "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

I don't care what the Catholics did 200, 20, or 2 years ago. All of that is irrelevant. If they did something right, it would be completely ignorant to say, "A Catholic did that, so I will not."

When I say it is irrelevant, I mean (and it is obviously proven) that it is irrelevant to what SHOULD BE the goal of a true believer.

I understand what you mean here, and to some extent I agree with you. However, we cannot completely ignore such associations with heresy and error -- especially in regards to the RCC.

Rev. 18:4 "And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues."
1 Peter 2:9 "But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light."
2 Cor. 6:17 "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,"
Lev. 20:7 Sanctify yourselves therefore, and be ye holy: for I am the LORD your God."

It sometimes seems confusing as to when and where to apply this principle -- but we must not forget to apply it! Aren't we taught time and time again through the example of the Israelites that lack of separation produces assimilation? A generation ago, the New Evangelicals decided to stop fighting for separation, and now they don't even remember that they should be separate.

• Members
Lent is a man-made tradition, not something biblical. If an individual feels led of the Lord to set something aside as ina fast and devote special time to pursuing personal holiness then that's wonderful, but in keeping with Scripture, this should be a private matter.

But you want be able to get many to understand this, for it has crept into many what were once very conservatives churches that held to Bible teachings only.

People love rituals, it deepens what they think is an experience in walking close with God, and we have people right here trying to spread it even further.

• Members

Yes, God wants us to obey him on a daily basis. At the same time, GOd wants us to set aside special times for prayer and fasting and meditation. These are disciplines that do not come easy. There are certain points throughout the year when people tend to be more reflective. Lent and Easter is one, Advent and Christmas is another.

It can be reduced to a ritual, or the exercises can lead to a deeper walk with Chrsit, a close examination of one's life to determine what areas may need work. There is nothing magical about the time, but as Easter approaches, Lent is a great time to reflect and prepare for the celebration of Easter.

I don't care if people call it Lent or not. But this time of year is an excellent time to reflect, meditate, pray, and prepare our hearts for Easter.

There is nothing heretical about that. I call it Lent, you may call it something different. We all bring our own culture and background to Christianity. All of us have some sort of ritual we go through to help with our walk with Christ. You may not call it a ritual, you may call it a tradition, but all of have them. Any way tfor the chruch to prepare people for easter is a good thing. Lent is one of many ways to encourage people to think, reflect, pray and meditate on the ressurection of Jesus. If you don't call it Lent, that is fine, I could care less. The important think is that we set aside time to do this.

BTW, I go to a Baptist church, and we practice Lent. It has been a very rewarding and good thing. I've done it for so many years, that I forget that not all Christians participate. I don't associate Lent with one denomination or another....I've been to a Methodist -church that does it, a non-denominational church that does it, and two Baptist Churches that practice it.

If we look at where things originated and reject all things from the RCC, then I guess we need to reject Christmas and Easter too, since those were originally pagan celebration for the Winter and Spring Solstice, and the church chose those dates to give a Christian meaning to them. Of course, I do not think this, but if you reject Lent for the sole reason it origninated with the RCC, then you ought to reject Easter and Christmas for the same reasons.

I'm sorry for starting a debate. That is not my intent here. My intention was to encorage believers to being preparing their hearts and minds in a special way for Easter.

:goodpost: Excellent post. I like what you said:

It can be reduced to a ritual, or the exercises can lead to a deeper walk with Chrsit, a close examination of one's life to determine what areas may need work. There is nothing magical about the time, but as Easter approaches, Lent is a great time to reflect and prepare for the celebration of Easter.

I wasn't pushing a ritualized practice within the church. Anybody that knows me, knows better than that. I can see how part of my post earlier came across that way. I apologize for the confusion salyan, and that was an excellent post that you made. As far as your comments on "coming out from among them", I think that can be relegated to doctrines and beliefs. "Their choirs wear robes - so we won't" It could get slightly ridiculous.

hey' date=' I am new here, but I am wonderong ...is this a BAPTIST forum, or what??[/quote']

*looks at the top of the page* Umm...yeah, it is. :cool

• Members
... if you reject Lent for the sole reason it origninated with the RCC' date=' then you ought to reject Easter and Christmas for the same reasons.[/quote']

I do reject Easter and Christmas for the same reasons. The Roman Catholic Church has its foundation in paganism and idolatry. It is called the Harlot in the book of Revelation. Those who follow Roman Catholic traditions are committing spiritual adultery.

• Members
hey' date=' I am new here, but I am wonderong ...is this a BAPTIST forum, or what??[/quote']

There are a lot of things debated here that have surprised me but, the core is Baptist. Also, there is one and I'm certain more, Independent Fundamental Baptists here who can't understand it either...shakes head.

don't laugh!! are we as born again christians supposed to celebrate lent ? If so-how? If not -Whay not? My mom's church puts out a lenttnal [spelling ugh! ]with little sermons from people in their congregation and their pastors-including women! I do read them but two to four at a time and look up if it agrees with God's word so I'll understand better where she's coming from. I've never heard one thing in the Baptist Church about lent. I hate to admit this but I know it has to do woth 40 days around Easter but don't really have a understanding! Anyone willing to explain all thi :puzzled: s? IN Christ Pixiedust

Yes, we call it "the box". :lol: Just messin' with you John - it would probably surprise most to know that I have a very strong IFB background and have been attending IFB churches for most of my life (including the last month). I think that is where I actually get my sarcasm...

• Members
Is anyone giving up anything for the season of Lent?

My wife and I have decided to completely turn off our television for the next 40 days to focus on God. For the most part, I think I can do it, but there is one show that I love that is difficult to give up for 40 days.

That is nice thought. What are you going to do in its place? Depending on how much time you normally watch TV you may have alot more time on your hands.

• Members

That is nice thought. What are you going to do in its place? Depending on how much time you normally watch TV you may have alot more time on your hands.

We spend one hour a week watching television. We don't have cable,a nd only watch one show a week. We are devoting that time to prayer and meditation.