• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Lent

• Members

Is anyone giving up anything for the season of Lent?

My wife and I have decided to completely turn off our television for the next 40 days to focus on God. For the most part, I think I can do it, but there is one show that I love that is difficult to give up for 40 days.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no' date=' I associate Lent w/ Catholics.[/quote']

It may be a Catholic tradition, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good one. When you can use a time to set aside a time period for God, it can't be all that bad. I associate many hymns with the Catholics - doesn't stop me from singing them.

Good for you, kindofblue, I know how hard that will be. I am going to give up the periodicals and books that I normally read, and replace those times with the Bible. My periodicals range from music magazines to gaming magazines, and my books cover a broad spectrum, so this may help me to refocus.

Who doesn't need that? Excellent thread, kindofblue. :thumb

• Administrators

We don't observe Lent. The way we believe is that when God points something out any time of the year, we need to obey. I applaud you, though, kind, for putting aside the tv to spend the days getting closer to God. Too many Christians don't put anything aside for God any time of the year.

• Members
no' date=' I associate Lent w/ Catholics.[/quote']

It is a great time to reflect on what Jesus did for us. It is a symbolic time mirroring the 40 day fast of Jesus. The idea is that we abstain from something in our lives, and instead use that time to reflect and meditate up on God. Similar to a fast.

It really is a good exercise that can help our spiritual growth. My church is having an Ash Wednesday service tonight. It really is a wonderful exercise that I have done for several years now.

We don't observe Lent. The way we believe is that when God points something out any time of the year' date=' we need to obey. I applaud you, though, kind, for putting aside the tv to spend the days getting closer to God. Too many Christians don't put anything aside for God any time of the year.[/quote']

Good post. Perhaps observing Lent is a way to "kick-start" a thought process that should be part of any Christian's lifestyle.

• Members
We don't observe Lent. The way we believe is that when God points something out any time of the year' date=' we need to obey. I applaud you, though, kind, for putting aside the tv to spend the days getting closer to God. Too many Christians don't put anything aside for God any time of the year.[/quote']

I agree that we need to set something aside any time God tells us too. The reason I really like Lent is because it is 40 days prior to Easter. It is a time of intense focus and a time of preparation of celebrating the ressurection of our Savior. I think an extra dose of discipline and preparation really enhances Easter for me. Otherwise, I get busy, and neglect my spiritual life, and there is no preparation for the most important time of year on the Christian calendar.

• Administrators

I can see where you are coming from in that, and I respect that. We do the same type of thing whenever we have a revival scheduled, and before our annual preaching conference (BTW - I didn't mean to imply that you don't obey God when He speaks to you...just explaining one reason we don't observe Lent).

I work with a number of Catholics, and it really saddens me to see how they practice this...they really believe they are sacrificing for the Lord, not understanding that unless they are His child no sacrifice is worth anything. A former co-worker really jarred me one day when she told me that she had seen the Passion (by Gibson) and was so moved by what Christ did that the least she could do was give up something for Him - so she gave up chocolate sundaes for Lent. A sacrifice for her, to be sure, because she really loves them, but she just didn't understand (even with many conversations and sharing scripture) that Christ wants her. I think that is the saddest thing about Lent the way it is observed in Catholic and most Orthodox churches.

• Members
It really is a good exercise that can help our spiritual growth.

Where in the Bible does it say that we have to give something up for 40 days?
Where in the Bible does it say that we have to give something up to help our spiritual growth?

There are several things that are mentioned in the Bible that we should do to grow spirituallly (such as meditating upon God's word, allowing the Holy Spirit to have control of our lives, following after righteousness and true holiness). These things ought to be done every day of the year not just during Lent. Giving something up will not make you anymore godly than you are now.

• Administrators

Where in the Bible does it say that we have to give something up to help our spiritual growth?

There are several things that are mentioned in the Bible that we should do to grow spirituallly (such as meditating upon God's word, allowing the Holy Spirit to have control of our lives, following after righteousness and true holiness). These things ought to be done every day of the year not just during Lent. Giving something up will not make you anymore godly than you are now.

While I agree with the general principle in your post, brosmith, I have to say that, in answer to your last statement, if a person were to give up tv for 40 days and devote that time to prayer and Bible reading, that would definitely help a person grow in Christ. JMO (btw - kind never said God said to do it...he was just talking about what they do...and haven't you ever given something up in reponse to God's prodding?)

• Members

As a born again Christian I would not call it Lent....but I would call it a "tv fast" or whatever... anytime you put something aside in order to devote more time in prayer would be a fast, and is quite Biblical.

• Members

Why don't we just give up stuff that hinders us from a close walk with God daily? Them keep it between us and God?

Linda asked me last night, when we fast should we go around telling everyone about it, of course the answer is no. I ask her what this question, of course some one she works with is always telling everyone she works with that she is fasting.

Mat 6:16 Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

So that is a question I would not answer and would not ask anyone, if I shared it with others I have no reward.

Of course if you don't share it with other you will get no glory from man, I suppose that is why RCC and others make it know world wide what they're doing, they want praises of men, and of course we all ought to know what is written in the Bible has no meaning to the RCC.

• Members

The Bible commands us to fast, pray and meditate on God. The season of Lent is a time of special preparation to prepare our hearts and minds for Easter. I think it is a very good practice. I'm not saying all have to practice it, but I think it is a good thing to do.

This thread is not about bragging about what you are giving up or doing. It is about encouraging one another to reflect on God and prepare our hearts and minds for Easter. I find practing Lent is a very good way to do that.

It is an exercise in discipline, something most of us do not have enough of. Anything to encourage people to do some sort of fast, whether from food, television, or whatever might hinder their walk with God, is a good thing.

• Members

While I agree with the general principle in your post, brosmith, I have to say that, in answer to your last statement, if a person were to give up tv for 40 days and devote that time to prayer and Bible reading, that would definitely help a person grow in Christ.

However, it is not the act of giving up TV that makes us godly. Righteousness does not come by either doing something or by abstaining from something. That is the point I was trying to make.

By the way, I don't like the idea of calling it a "TV fast" because TV is not necessary in our lives. With a little discipline we all could live without TV.

Yes, it is true that there are things in our lives that hinder our Christian growth (the Bible calls them weights and in the parable of the sower they are called thorns). These things do need to be plucked up out of our lives and put aside but not just for 40 days.

• Administrators

However, it is not the act of giving up TV that makes us godly. Righteousness does not come by either doing something or by abstaining from something. That is the point I was trying to make. Oh, I understand that! But kindofblue wasn't saying that giving up tv makes us godly. He did say they were giving it up to devote more time to the Lord. That is commendable, and by devoting more time to the Bible and prayer, that is the way to grow.

By the way, I don't like the idea of calling it a "TV fast" because TV is not necessary in our lives. With a little discipline we all could live without TV. I agree. We don't own a tv.

Yes, it is true that there are things in our lives that hinder our Christian growth (the Bible calls them weights and in the parable of the sower they are called thorns). These things do need to be plucked up out of our lives and put aside but not just for 40 days. This is true...but for some people, a 40 day avoidance may be just what it takes! Sometimes tv viewing is a habit. And habits can be broken in 21 days. So, perhaps if they abstain from tv, while spending that time in extra Bible reading and prayer, perhaps they will never pick it up again...and thus would continue to grow...KWIM?