• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Lent

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

No, it has nothing to do with self punishment. It has everything to do with seeking God and during the time leading up to our special celebration of his ressurection, to prepare my heart and mind for that celebration. I do not understand all the negative vibes I am getting here. I am truly baffled.

I know that in the current events topics, I am often a dissenter, but with this thread, I am merely trying to encourage other believers to grow in Christ, and was hoping to be inspired by reading what other people do to prepare for Easter. I guess I am wrong.

I do not need this XXXX about what I am doing is wrong when what I am doing is seeking to deepen my relationshiop with God. If you folks cannot see that and do not do the same in your own lives, I feel sorry for you. There is nothing magical about Lent, but it certainly helps with self discipline and can help deepen ones walk with God. It has nothing to do to prove myself to God. It has everything with trying to evaluate my life, and trying to put myself in a situation where I might best hear from God. It is a wonderful spiritual exercise.

If people are trying to do that, they should get nothing but encouragement. I was trying to start a discussion that would be uplifting and encouraging to help build one another up. Instead, I get damnation for trying to strengthen my walk with God. Go figure.

The way to grow closer to God is to throw out all false teachings. Lent is false teachings built by the RCC, it is not of God. But I see you have your mind made up, do not want truth, that your getting bent out of shape, upset, even getting mad, so mad you stoop to using bad words. I removed the bad word, but surely your smart enough to know what word I'm speaking of with the evidence I've placed in your post above.

What you ought to do is take that word out of you post and apologize to everyone for talking in such a manner, that is not the least bit becoming to you. I will not try to help you know more, use all the false teachings you want.

• Members

First, I've never realized that was a "bad" word. There is another term which is a synonym for it that is a "bad" word, which I did not use.

I owe no one an apology. I am getting bent out of shape yes. it is because this thread was to encourage believers to devote the next 40 days to a special time of prayer and meditation to celebrate the ressurection of Jesus. How that is unscriptural, I have no idea. Instead of being encouraging, I have had people jump on me and kick me, saying I'm trying to punish myself for my sin and other such nonsense.

People are trying to make me feel guilty about doing something to deepen my spiritual walk. THAT is what is wrong. That is what is sinful. Who wants to discourage people from trying to deepen their spiritual walk with God?

• Members

We don't observe Lent because it's a catholic thing, but if we feel we need to leave something out of our lives for a while because it's taking up too much time that could be spent focusing on the things of the Lord then we do so. I feel that is something that can be done any day of the year and don't see a need to set aside a certain period each year. I think it's great to leave the tv off for a while and to make a sacrifice if you think that's something you need to do to be serious about spending time with the Lord. My hubby and I made the decision to not have a tv in our home because we feel that we wasted far too much time with it in time past.

But wow, this thread sure has gotten ugly. Perhaps everyone should drop the thread and focus on something else? It can't be overly beneficial to the thought of drawing closer to the Lord.

Guest Guest

kindofblue does not have to apologize to me - I found it amusing, to say the least. Some Valium for the Pharisaical ones might be in order, however. :wink

• Members

1 Peter 3
12 For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil.
13 And who is he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good?
14 But and if ye suffer for righteousness sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled;
15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
16 Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.

• Members

I don't think that anyone here is telling anybody not to give up stuff that they feel interferes with their walk. I think that people here realize that Lent is a showy, Pharisiacal :lol ,type tradition from the RCC and other protestant denoms. The hey look at me I gave up chocolate for 40 days, then back to chocolate. When you give things up that really interfere with your walk it should be for a lifetime. Didn't Jesus get on the Pharisses not for following the law but adding things that they didn't even do?

Guest Guest
I don't think that anyone here is telling anybody not to give up stuff that they feel interferes with their walk. I think that people here realize that Lent is a showy' date=' Pharisiacal [/b'] :lol ,type tradition from the RCC and other protestant denoms. The hey look at me I gave up chocolate for 40 days, then back to chocolate. When you give things up that really interfere with your walk it should be for a lifetime. Didn't Jesus get on the Pharisses not for following the law but adding things that they didn't even do?

Granted, it has its roots in the RCC, but as has already been pointed out - many things often do. It is the nature of religions and denominations to borrow traditions (not doctrines) from others. That, however, is a point that would take many posts to debate and would only detract from this thread, but I digress. I suppose the only question I really have is how do you derive that it is "showy and Pharisaical"? And even more so, what makes you aware of what people realize?

Lent is not law, kindofblue was not trying to make it so, and therefore was not adding to any law - but yes, that is one of the things for which Jesus "got on" the Pharisees.

• Members

Someone has pointed out that I can close a thread I started. I'm not sure how to do that, but want this thread closed if possible.

I am amazed by the number of negative responses I have gotten for merely sharing how I was hoping an exercise will deepen my walk with Christ, and was hoping to find how other believers were doing the same in preparation of Easter. I have done this with a group in my church, and it is encouraging to hear how God is working in our lives through the Lent season.

No, the Bible does not mandate Lent. Lent is merely a tradition that is used for a special time of prayer and meditation in preparation for Easter. We all have traditions in our churches that we follow, whether you like it or not. Many churches have a strict order of service....tradtion that is not in the Bible. Many are hard set against modern styles of music....tradition that is not in the Bible. Many have a set time they meet every week....tradition that is not in the Bible. I could go on and on. But many traditions are good to build up the body of Christ and to help us grow in our walks with Christ. No, tradition is not law. But each generation must evalutate traditions, and if they find them helpful to their spiritual lives, keep them, and if not, find a new one that is more helpful.

Lent is something that many churches I have been a part of have found helpful, and which I have found very helpful. As humans, we tend to drift and forget without scheudles. This time of year is a reminder to us to stay focused on Christ, and to help us do so, we go above and beyond what is required to help bring our focus back to where it should be. There is nothing magical about it. It is fine with me if others do not do it. However, to many people, the practice is an important part of their spiritual lives, and if it is exercise they feel is helpful, then that should not be diminished or discouraged in any way. Many people can be quite trite about Lent and not take it serious, but the same is true with Christmas, Easter, the Lord's Supper, etc. But if taken seriously, it can be a very good time of spiritual growth.

Yes, we ought to constantly evaluate our lives and get rid of things in it that are not helpful. But as humans, we forget, drift, and pick up bad habits. Lent is a great time to evaluate our lives and get rid of unneccessary things. As I mentioned before, sometimes I have given up things permanently after the 40 days have ended. If we do not do this during Lent, it is a good practice to perform an annual evalutation of our lives and be intentional about it.

To all you people who find my as a Pharisee, I could say the same about you for being so eager to cast stones at something that is always a great help to my walk with Christ. Are you not saying that what I am doing is going against your "Law" and that I am wrong for doing something to seek God's face? Hmmmm. Sounds like a Pharisee to me.

I hope those in control will close this thread. In fact, for the remainder of Lent, and perhaps permanently, I will no longer visit this Board, as it has become a hinderance to my walk with Christ. When I try to start a thread to build people up and encourage other believers and find encouragement, I get this. It is not helpful to me, nor is it good, so I'm gone.

Peace to all.

• Administrators

I talked to my hubby last night about this thread. As I've mentioned, we don't observe Lent. But when I told him what kind and his wife were doing, know what he said? "It doesn't matter what you call it when you give up something to spend more time with the Lord." We won't observe it because we are surrounded by Catholics and other Orthodox and Episcopalian people who do - because we aren't going to identify with their religious practices (Christmas and Easter are not solely in the realm of the religious anymore, so don't really count with the argument...). I can't - I've talked with too many co-workers and neighbors who wear the ash on their heads and who abstain...and who are headed for hell. But they think they are doing something great.

That said - the way kind described what his church does is totally different from what the Roman and Orthodox churches do - simply because the Personhood of Christ is in the right place in kind's church.

We have a preaching conference at our church every April. For several weeks beforehand, our preacher encourages us to spend extra time in prayer and Bible to prepare our hearts for the preaching we will hear. Other than the name kind is using, how is that different?

Giving up the tv is a fast...when a person fasts from food, do they never go back to it? Of course not!!! Now, kind has said he is thinking of not turning it back on afterwards, but even if he did, if God didn't smite his conscience, that doesn't mean what he put aside for these days didn't work. KWIM?

Again - we don't observe Lent. And never will. But I think kind should be encouraged in his quest to get closer to the Lord. After all, God told us to "draw nigh to God and He will draw nigh to you."

So, we don't agree on terminology...can't we agree that it's a good thing to lay aside something from the world to spend more time in God's Word and prayer?

you posted as I did, kind...hope my post gets in before it's locked!

• Members

gracious sakes!!
It is sad to see fellow Christians so ready for a fight!!
There are some things are black and white...clearly right and wrong. Others things are "to each his owns" type things. There is something called grace, which we all need to remember to show each other. :)