• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Lent

• Members
The season of Lent is a time of special preparation to prepare our hearts and minds for Easter. ... It is about encouraging one another to reflect on God and prepare our hearts and minds for Easter.

I don't find any Christians in the Bible celebrating Easter but I do find a pagan king named Herod observing it. The modern day Easter is based upon Catholic traditions that mix paganism with Christianity.

Please read my booklet on the subject: http://www.pioneerbaptist.org/booklet/Passion_Week.doc

This short Bible study can be printed in booklet form from Microsoft Word. If anyone desires to do so, I hereby give permission to download, print, and distribute this booklet (free of charge) as long as no content is added to, deleted, or changed.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't find any Christians in the Bible celebrating Easter but I do find a pagan king named Herod observing it. The modern day Easter is based upon Catholic traditions that mix paganism with Christianity.

Please read my booklet on the subject: http://www.pioneerbaptist.org/booklet/Passion_Week.doc

This short Bible study can be printed in booklet form from Microsoft Word. If anyone desires to do so, I hereby give permission to download, print, and distribute this booklet (free of charge) as long as no content is added to, deleted, or changed.

Ha. :roll

It always comes back to this...if you celebrate Easter and Christmas - you're pagan. blah blah blah

Change the record already. If you're living a life to glorify God, I don't care what you call it. As long as your priority is Him, you can call it Kwanzaa, for all I care. If you give up something and spend that time for God instead, anyone that has a real problem with that is either hypocritical or logically defunct.

End of story. (yes, Happy Christian is kinder than me. Maybe I'll give up sarcasm for Lent...oops)

• Members
Why don't we just give up stuff that hinders us from a close walk with God daily? Them keep it between us and God?

Linda asked me last night, when we fast should we go around telling everyone about it, of course the answer is no. I ask her what this question, of course some one she works with is always telling everyone she works with that she is fasting.

Mat 6:16 Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

So that is a question I would not answer and would not ask anyone, if I shared it with others I have no reward.

Of course if you don't share it with other you will get no glory from man, I suppose that is why RCC and others make it know world wide what they're doing, they want praises of men, and of course we all ought to know what is written in the Bible has no meaning to the RCC.

:amen:

• Members

However, it is not the act of giving up TV that makes us godly. Righteousness does not come by either doing something or by abstaining from something. That is the point I was trying to make.

By the way, I don't like the idea of calling it a "TV fast" because TV is not necessary in our lives. With a little discipline we all could live without TV.

Yes, it is true that there are things in our lives that hinder our Christian growth (the Bible calls them weights and in the parable of the sower they are called thorns). These things do need to be plucked up out of our lives and put aside but not just for 40 days.

:amen: :thumb

• Members

Point is, fasting, and or talking about such things is reserved for my church and my home only, not here on a message board where anyone and everyone can come by and read it.

I did make a comment about making this message board private, that is closed to the public, but it seems few thought that was a good idea, so being as it public, I shall not discuss such, for I don't feel I woudl be abiding by God's will, but do as you will.

Mat 6:16 Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Mat 6:17 But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;

Mat 6:18 That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

I'm not trying to be smarty about it, I base it on Bible verses.

• Members

I've been collecting some lent in the downstairs bathroom under a cabinet. I'm going to give up that lent for lent.

My wife joined the Roman Church. The last thing I want to do is appear to encourage her.

This may sound harsh but, there are too many saints martyred past and present for me to lend any creedance to Roman Church dogma.

• Members

As an ex-Catholic, I refrain from the word, and the theology of lent.

"Lent" is (originally) time set aside (lent) to the Lord for a specicifc purpose. It becomes a "tradition of men" and a "religious rite" and not a Christian sacrifice as many believe. The Catholic church teaches about lent more than Calvary, and even encourages non-believers (non Catholics in their minds) to practice lent. Why? Because it is an acceptance of their doctrine and a submissiveness to their "theology"; in practice, we become a "partaker of other mens deed" when we align ourselves to their doctrines.

There is enough Catholocism in the church today without adding more. It has infiltrated the church today in many subtle ways, and still has roots un paganism. Please don't ask me to expound on what sorts of things I refer to, because that would cause a lenghty, and perhaps heated, discussion. I have **been there before.

I will say, however:
A day of fasting is a good thing, but many of us enter it with the wrong concept of what fasting is all about. We think if we sacrice something, and deny ourselves that this will get God's attention a little quicker, and perhaps win us special favor. It is similar to the pagan Idea of cutting oneself with stones to get something from God! The thought is that if we abase "self" (physically mostly) God will hear us. Do we EARN God's blessing or receive iit as a resukt of promise? Be careful of promoting works over grace.

The Pharisee's fasted at least two days a week, (Lk. 18: 11,12) and all of it was ostentatious (whew, a big word!), and meaningless. I am afraid that when we set aside a special day for fasting, on a regular basis, it becomes a tradition and loses its meaning in the process. Fasts can be proclaimed however "for a season" and a specific need, as in the latter chapters of Esther, but remember Romans 14 and the admonition of holidays and such.

**Please check out the poem "Been There" in the poetry section; this is my testimony, of sorts.

• Members
As an ex-Catholic, I refrain from the word, and the theology of lent.

"Lent" is (originally) time set aside (lent) to the Lord for a specicifc purpose. It becomes a "tradition of men" and a "religious rite" and not a Christian sacrifice as many believe. The Catholic church teaches about lent more than Calvary, and even encourages non-believers (non Catholics in their minds) to practice lent. Why? Because it is an acceptance of their doctrine and a submissiveness to their "theology"; in practice, we become a "partaker of other mens deed" when we align ourselves to their doctrines.

There is enough Catholocism in the church today without adding more. It has infiltrated the church today in many subtle ways, and still has roots un paganism. Please don't ask me to expound on what sorts of things I refer to, because that would cause a lenghty, and perhaps heated, discussion. I have **been there before.

I will say, however:
A day of fasting is a good thing, but many of us enter it with the wrong concept of what fasting is all about. We think if we sacrice something, and deny ourselves that this will get God's attention a little quicker, and perhaps win us special favor. It is similar to the pagan Idea of cutting oneself with stones to get something from God! The thought is that if we abase "self" (physically mostly) God will hear us. Do we EARN God's blessing or receive iit as a resukt of promise? Be careful of promoting works over grace.

The Pharisee's fasted at least two days a week, (Lk. 18: 11,12) and all of it was ostentatious (whew, a big word!), and meaningless. I am afraid that when we set aside a special day for fasting, on a regular basis, it becomes a tradition and loses its meaning in the process. Fasts can be proclaimed however "for a season" and a specific need, as in the latter chapters of Esther, but remember Romans 14 and the admonition of holidays and such.

**Please check out the poem "Been There" in the poetry section; this is my testimony, of sorts.

:goodpost: Lent is another example of Catholic showmanship.

• Members

I'm honestly astounded by the anti sentiments towards Lent here.

How is preparing one's heart and mind to celebrate the ressurection of Jesus a bad thing? I fail to understand.

Last night, we had an Ash Wed. service at our church and took communion. It was a very reflective, worshipful time. We had times of song, times of corporate silence, and times of corporate prayer and scripture reading. It is the beginning of the Easter season.

Giving up something is symbolic of Jesus' 40 day fast. It was a time of intense preparation for him before he began his ministry. At the beginning of Lent, it is a time to really reflect on our lives, and to get rid of things that are unecessary and hindering our walk with God.

I honestly do not care where the tradition started. We celebrate Easter because it is the day we celebrate Jesus' ressurection from the dead.

I cannot understand why people are so opposed to this. It is something I have practiced for about 10 years now. My church practices it and it has been very meaningful and helpful tp spiritual growth.

The same is true for Advent prior to Christmas.

How is preparing one's heart and mind to celebrate the ressurection of Jesus a bad thing? I fail to understand.

Last night, we had an Ash Wed. service at our church and took communion. It was a very reflective, worshipful time. We had times of song, times of corporate silence, and times of corporate prayer and scripture reading. It is the beginning of the Easter season.

Giving up something is symbolic of Jesus' 40 day fast. It was a time of intense preparation for him before he began his ministry. At the beginning of Lent, it is a time to really reflect on our lives, and to get rid of things that are unecessary and hindering our walk with God.

I honestly do not care where the tradition started. We celebrate Easter because it is the day we celebrate Jesus' ressurection from the dead.

I cannot understand why people are so opposed to this. It is something I have practiced for about 10 years now. My church practices it and it has been very meaningful and helpful tp spiritual growth.

Don't try to understand it - as you will only become further baffled. It seems to be a growing trend towards defining one's "degree" of separation from apostasy. To borrow a quip from an excellently-written website:

Nothing is more bizarre to the outside observer of fundamentalism than seeing two fundies who have almost come to blows because each believes that the other is not a ?true fundamentalist.? In fact, it?s every bit as fascinating as watching two Trekkies argue over the design of an anti-matter drive. Not only is it impossible to win such a fight but it wouldn?t really matter even if you did.

These things are irrelevant to the true Christian life and only add fodder to the fires that burn and mar the true cause of Christ. I'd say let it go in one ear and out the other. There are good things to glean; take them, and leave the bad.

• Administrators

kind - Lent has always been associated with the Roman & Orthodox churches. Those churches put emphasis on works rather than Christ. Yes, Christ is mentioned, but He is not the way of salvation, church dogma is.

You personally, and your church may not care about the association, but many, many others do. We don't observe Lent, as I stated in my first post. One of the big reasons for that is that it is essentially a Roman Church invention.

Christianity in this country is leaning more and more toward accepting the formalism of the Roman Church. Lent and Advent are two examples.

Vir - I don't really think they are irrlevent to the Christian's life. We don't observe Lent. We don't believe that Lent is necessarily a good thing to observe - tradition of men and all that (you know, some of the same charges that are hurled at fundies...). However, whatever time of year a Christian pulls away from any influence from the world (and everyone would have to admit, tv is!) to spend more time with the Lord is good.