• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members
idea.gif So yeah' date=' at age 16, I found Jesus-is-Lord.com and started "preaching" to every friend in high school. When I was 18, I started describing myself as an IFB in blogging profiles with too many adjectives to count. Consecutively, I began posting useless and worthless complaints about society and church, how they can't live up to my "new found" convictions. I can't claim that I've abandoned every tendency, but I was pretty much silly :). I'm thankful God actively keeps me from getting too fanatical (at least I hope! ;P). But yeah, not only should we avoid being hyper-spiritual, but also we should be godly. Doesn't God say something about being lukewarm? [img']

Personal blogs do have a way of bringing out a person's ego. :ooops

There's no telling how many people have been influenced, both good and bad, by Jesus-is-Lord.com. Just really in-your-face...Kinda like Steve Van whatever his name was.
I guess one can't be too spiritual, but I think I know what you mean--jumping to the strictest side of every issue and declaring it right. I know somebody like that, although in all but one area. Definitely gotta be wary of the IFB mentality that the most strict position is always the biblical one.
And yay for you getting saved. Gooooo tall girl. When do we get to meet her on OB?? :sing:

• Members
I guess one can't be too spiritual, but I think I know what you mean--jumping to the strictest side of every issue and declaring it right. I know somebody like that, although in all but one area. Definitely gotta be wary of the IFB mentality that the most strict position is always the biblical one.

You make me want to name-guess :lol: . Anyway, I believe that there's a possibility of being stuck in the clouds and being too spiritual, which makes you no earthly good.
And yay for you getting saved. Gooooo tall girl. When do we get to meet her on OB?? :sing:

I'm sensing premeditations on your part... :smile

• 8 months later...
  • Members

My point exactly...why is it that there's so little conversation about God between the young people?

You know that's something that I've wondered myself. I could have a descent conversation about God with the older members of the church, but when I try to talk to others about God...conversation falls through. There is only a person or two that I believe that I could talk about God with, Meagan, my best friend and a boy named Nolan. Personally I'd say that the more of a relationship that teen has with God or the more time they put in studying His Word instead of focusing on the cares of this life, (boy/girlfriends, school, fashion, beauty, etc...) then they'd be more likely to talk about God with you. Not in an immature or overly "I'm so fake I use pretty language". It's been my own experience to know many Christian teens that are immature about God and the things of God. This would have been highly frustrating if I hadn't had Meagan. Then again, it still gets me at times. We're head of a club at school called Conq's for Christ...but the teens want more of a 'social club'. As ilovejw said, it's better to live the Christian life than to fake it. I know someone like that...sofar I've only seen a lot of frustration and bitterness.

Ge wiz. Sorry for the long post! ^-^;

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I've been reading a book that deals with this topic. The prOBlem is that Christianity (post-salvation) has become simply a set of rules. I'm not bashing the rules: many of them are good. However, the prOBlem comes in when we are so focused on the rules that we forget the relationship with God. Instead of allowing God to come in and transform our lives, we work through ourselves to perform in the way we feel we ought to act.

When we transform, we allow the Spirit to lead our lives and guide our decision making. However, when we perform, we do "good" things (give money to the church, follow the rules, etc.), but we do them for the wrong reason. For example, we may give to someone in need. We can do it out of love (as led by the Spirit), or we can do it out of self-love (to see what we can get out of it).

When people do things like what you mention, they are usually performing to cover up the fact that they have a weak relationship with God, and they have not been transformed by Him.

i like your answer, even helped me not considering the threads question.

Thanks!

• Members

Hmm. You want a PC vs. Mac war again?

Aye my computer was struck down by 5 trojans and 2 viruses last time. * Sigh *

that's why you quit using internet explorer and use firfox or chrome, and delete all those virus protecting programs and uncheck automatic updates for you computer. and you wont have a prOBlem ill bet you :)