• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

This is not directed at this forum or even specific members here, but I've been wondering this and hopefully someone can shed some light.

Why must we either act super-spiritual or just be crazy and silly?

Of the many young people I know, there are very few that I've found that really know how to act appropriately. There are the ones who feel they have to speak in "thee's" and "thou's" in order to be spiritual and then there's ones who are so silly constantly I wonder that their age wasn't somehow mixed up and they're ten years younger than they say. Why can't people speak about the Lord any more in real terms? Why do we feel we have to spiritualize everything? Can't our Christianity be personal and REAL anymore???

I'm just so confused...The Christianity I grew up knowing and hold dear is one in which my relationship with Jesus Christ is real. You didn't have to speak with big words or as if you just stepped out of the 18th century. It was something you could speak about as if Jesus Christ really was your best friend. How often do you really talk about your best friends as you do about our Lord? I am not saying we should show the Lord disrespect or dishonor Him in our speech, but there comes a point where I believe all the "spiritual mumbo-jumbo" (for want of a better term) just gets dishonoring because the only reason we're doing it is to sound good.

I'm not looking for support on this or even opposition. I'm just wondering if anyone else understands and what we can do to make our faith real.

• Members

That's an interesting observation Beka. I personally don't go overboard on "spirituality" in the sense you are talking about but I'm not silly either. There is a definite balance to be had in the Christian life and soooo many people are way off the mark. A lot of people are either spiritual crazies believing in strange doctrines to show their "faith" or they are 18 yr. olds who act like they're 12. Balance is where so many people are way off.

• Members

Some of it might just be personality...I consider myself to be "what you see is what you get".... I've never been "silly" but then I've never been one to constantly talk about God either so... I dunno, I guess I think I'm just a regular sort of person.

• Members

Some of it might just be personality...I consider myself to be "what you see is what you get".... I've never been "silly" but then I've never been one to constantly talk about God either so... I dunno, I guess I think I'm just a regular sort of person.

Me too. Just a regular sort of fellow. :D

• Members

Verily, I wot not what thou meanest, o Beka.

Maybe you should meet some more young people? :mrgreen: I haven't really noticed the problem you're talking about...But then again, I don't have any experience in Christian schools to have observed that kinda stuff.

• Members

I've been reading a book that deals with this topic. The problem is that Christianity (post-salvation) has become simply a set of rules. I'm not bashing the rules: many of them are good. However, the problem comes in when we are so focused on the rules that we forget the relationship with God. Instead of allowing God to come in and transform our lives, we work through ourselves to perform in the way we feel we ought to act.

When we transform, we allow the Spirit to lead our lives and guide our decision making. However, when we perform, we do "good" things (give money to the church, follow the rules, etc.), but we do them for the wrong reason. For example, we may give to someone in need. We can do it out of love (as led by the Spirit), or we can do it out of self-love (to see what we can get out of it).

When people do things like what you mention, they are usually performing to cover up the fact that they have a weak relationship with God, and they have not been transformed by Him.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Friends, I need to let this out of the box, and I am speaking as a person who's struggling to break away from the immaturity Beka talked about in her first post. Day by day I feel God's chatisement getting stronger and stronger - and it's His signal for me - it's time to grow.

An outward form of religiosity is but dead unless you supplement it with a life of godliness.

I have to admit that compared to many of the young adults in their mid-twenties, and even some teens - there's a huge rift between me and them, in terms of maturity. Some do not really look spiritual on the outside but you'll think otherwise after knowing them more.

I realized that the wise thing is to stop lazing around, dreaming for pies from the sky, and envying others, and it is time to repent, and a time to act now.

I just told my dad (a non-Christian) not too long ago, "Give me this time and my army years (next two years) and I'll prove to you I can grow up". Well may the Lord ensure what I said will be fulfilled! Time will tell - however remember God can make miracles happen.

Let us help each other in times of need. Anyone faces the problems?

• Members

I think every young person faces that problem Tian Long. And all of us face it at different times. :smile

btw, it's nice to see someone post in here. Now if we could get someone to post in the computer room. :cool

You sure like using his full name, Kevin Miller. :loco Did I miss some inside joke? :Bleh :Bleh :Bleh

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I know exactly what you are talking about... i believe that some of the people who act this way are sometimes diciples in such a way that they are wanting to impress the persom decipling them instead of serving God. and some people try to act way "normal" and they end up looking like complete idiots. i was one of those people then i realized how redicilous (sp) i looked... just be yorself and strife to do whats right in God's eyes not in mans eyes.. because Man will fail you and God will never do that...
Jess

• 1 month later...
  • Members
idea.gif So yeah, at age 16, I found Jesus-is-Lord.com and started "preaching" to every friend in high school. When I was 18, I started describing myself as an IFB in blogging profiles with too many adjectives to count. Consecutively, I began posting useless and worthless complaints about society and church, how they can't live up to my "new found" convictions. I can't claim that I've abandoned every tendency, but I was pretty much silly :). I'm thankful God actively keeps me from getting too fanatical (at least I hope! ;P). But yeah, not only should we avoid being hyper-spiritual, but also we should be godly. Doesn't God say something about being lukewarm? barf.gif

Personal blogs do have a way of bringing out a person's ego. :ooops