• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Casseroles

• Members

With a busy work schedule... I am on the hunt for some tried and true casserole recipes. I am really wanting some that I can make the night before, and my hubby can put them in the oven the next day before I get home. That way we aren't eating at 8pm :? Does anyone have some casserole recipes that they would like to share?

• Members

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH Yeah, I looooooooooove casseroles.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay back we had a whole thread on this.

Lemme ask you::::

Do want meat in it or meatless???

Meatless:::

***Mac 'n' Cheese. Must be a bazillion recipes for this.

Meat types:::((((The ingredient list and amounts are very forgiving.))))

***Broccoli, chicken, sour cream, Pepperidge farms corn-bread stuffing mix, chopped onion, etc.

***Ground beef, cream of chicken soup, sliced or diced potatoes, crumpled bacon, chopped onion, (optional), etc.

***Cubed ham, cheddar cheese, sliced or diced potatoes, cream of chicken soup, chopped onion, etc.

My all-time favorite::::: :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool

Hog Maw:::

http://teriskitchen.com/padutch/pigstom.html

An exerpt:::::

STUFFED PIG'S STOMACH (HOG MAW)
SERVES 6-8

Don't freak! This is so good. Ever since I can remember, it was my birthday dinner. However, since I moved to North Carolina, we can only get the stomachs in bulk and salted, which is very inferior to what we could get in Pennsylvania, so I haven't had it for years. I'm still working on this problem. But, for those of you who are skeptical, please realize that the stomach you use is the lining and, if cleaned well, contains no fat. It is just muscle and some very thin meat at certain areas. It's a little like a sausage casing with some meat on it. And the meat is so tasty and parts of it are chewy (I love chewy). The good news is that I have served it to people who refuse to eat the stomach but enjoy the stuffing very much. Hey...that leaves more of the stomach for me. I'm not complaining

INGREDIENTS

1 large pig's stomach, well cleaned of all fat
1 pound fresh link sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 pound smoked linked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
6-8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (or to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste (go easy on salt depending on sausage)
3 tablespoons flour, mixed with 3 tablespoons cool water until smooth to make a paste (slurry)
Mix together sausages, potatoes and onions. Add parsley, salt and pepper. Sew small opened end of stomach with cooking twine to close. Stuff sausage mixture into stomach, pressing well with each addition. Stomach has a lot of elasticity and will stretch to almost any size necessary. When all stuffing has been placed inside, close open end with twine.

Place stuffed stomach in shallow roasting pan. Roast in preheated 350° F oven until potatoes are tender (check by inserting thin sharp knife into middle) about 2 hours. Baste about every 20 minutes with water or pan juices.

Remove stomach from roasting pan. Drain off most of the fat. Make the flour paste in a small bowl. Place pan on burner on top of stove. Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil, scraping up all of the browned bits in the bottom of the pan. Gradually add flour paste, whisking rapidly and constantly, until the gravy thickens.

To serve, slice stomach into 1 inch thick slices. Pass gravy separately.

Notes: Sausages in various regions of the world are seasoned different. You will have to use your own tastes when purchasing.

Variations: Many years ago, an Italian friend of mine was visiting on my birthday and had this dish. He suggested that it might be good using Italian sausage and adding tomatoes, garlic and oregano. Well, I finally tried it, and it is very good. Try it....Stuffed Pig's Stomach, Italian-Style?.

Please note::::

I say forget the pig-gut and just use a baking bag

• Members

Here's a quick and very tasty pot pie recipe:

Get a box of Pillsbury Pie Crusts (the rolled kind); put one crust in the bottom of a pie plate.

In a bowl, combine:

1 can Del Monte Peas and Carrots or 1 can of mixed veggies 1 can cream of celery soup 3/4 of the soup can full of milk 1/4 tsp. ground sage 1/4 tsp. thyme 1 tsp. onion powder or 1 small onion, chopped salt and pepper to taste [/list:u] Pour into the pie crust; put the top crust on and put it in the fridge. Your hubby can take it out the next day and put it in a 425 degree oven and bake it about 35-45 minutes until nicely browned on top and filling is bubbling. That is the quick and easy version; it uses already prepared products. The long version is to make the pie crust, cook raw or frozen veggies for the pie and make your own sauce. edit: our family loves this pot pie recipe. It is fabulous! :mrgreen:

• 2 cups cubed, cooked chicken

• Members

Something else you could consider is the crock pot.

I tried a pork chop recipe the other day that we all just loved and it was very easy.

Brown 4 boneless pork chops in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer to your slow cooker.

1/4 c. ketchup 1 small onion, chopped 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce [/list:u] Pour over chops. Cover and cook on high about 4 hours or until meat juices run clear. The sauce combo might sound a little strange but it really tastes fabulous. If you don't like the tang, leave out the worcestershire. You could prepare this in the crock the night before and put it in the fridge. You could set it on low in the morning and let it cook all day or if he has enough time, your hubby could start it and turn it on high about 4 hours before you eat.

• Mix 1 can cream of chicken soup

• Members

Oh yeah, here's another one. :lol: I like recipes, can you tell? :D

1 1/3 cups water 3/4 cup uncooked white rice 1/2 tsp. onion powder 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts 1 cup shredded Chedder (optional) [/list:u] Mix soup, water, rice, onion powder and pepper in a 2 quart baking dish. Top with chicken. Sprinkle chicken with additional pepper. Cover with foil. Refrigerate overnight. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake for 45 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and rice is done. If desired, uncover and sprinkle cheese over chicken.

• 1 can cream of chicken soup

• Members

My wife makes a great Firecracker casserole but I don't know the recipe. It's got hamburger, flour tortillas, cheese and chili powder in it.

Throw in some well-soaked pinto beans and you could change the name from "firecracker" to "dynamite". :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Add some cabbage and then you could call it nuclear-fission :nutty :hide

• Members

Cubed steak in the crock-pot is a favorite around our house. I always make a extra big pot just because I like it reheated for a open faced sandwich or with some scrambled eggs for breakfast.

Start with 1 1/2 to 2 lbs of cubed steak.

Flour the cubes steak and brown it in a skillet with a little oil.

Two cans of Cream of Mushroom soup (we usually use Campbell's Healthy Choice) Mix the two cans of soup with one can of milk. Pour a little soup mixture in the bottom of the crock pot, and then layer the steak and soup(that way it all gets to cook in the gravy) Cook on low for 5-6 hours (a little longer won't hurt)

Start this in the morning and at dinner time you have a great main course. The steak is so tender you can cut it with a fork. It goes well with almost anything but especially with Mashed Potatoes, English peas, and biscuits. (The frozen Pillsbury ones are very good. The same recipe works for those little cheap chuck steaks too. I am thinking of trying chicken too ...it might make some tasty chicken and rice.

I love crock pot food :D

• Members

Cubed steak in the crock-pot is a favorite around our house. I always make a extra big pot just because I like it reheated for a open faced sandwich or with some scrambled eggs for breakfast.

Start with 1 1/2 to 2 lbs of cubed steak.

Flour the cubes steak and brown it in a skillet with a little oil.

Two cans of Cream of Mushroom soup (we usually use Campbell's Healthy Choice) Mix the two cans of soup with one can of milk. Pour a little soup mixture in the bottom of the crock pot, and then layer the steak and soup(that way it all gets to cook in the gravy) Cook on low for 5-6 hours (a little longer won't hurt)

Start this in the morning and at dinner time you have a great main course. The steak is so tender you can cut it with a fork. It goes well with almost anything but especially with Mashed Potatoes, English peas, and biscuits. (The frozen Pillsbury ones are very good. The same recipe works for those little cheap chuck steaks too. I am thinking of trying chicken too ...it might make some tasty chicken and rice.

I love crock pot food :D

You and me both, Tim. :mrgreen: :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: :mrgreen:

We make that with chicken pieces and serve it over wide noodles. It is really good 'n' tasty.

Re. cube steak:::::

We also like beef cubes made that way. Many times beef cubes are as high as $8 to $9 per pound but London Broil is only $4 to $5 per pound. Becaus eof that I went to a local butcher and bought ALL of his London Broil that he had in the reefer case. There was about 28# of it in nice big slabs. I brought it home and cut it up into 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" cubes and re-wrapped it into double-thick plastic freezer bags. Then I layered it all out in the freezer for it to quick freeze and then restacked it. :mrgreen: Voila, the finest beef cubes ever. :clap::clap::clap:

Incidenatlly, we are all out of it, and this reminds me to do it again. :wink:

Also, if you are ever up this way, let me take you to Kralls Butcher shop, in Shaefferstown, PA. They have some exceptionally fine meats.

• Members

[quote="Bakershalfdozen"]
I like recipes, can you tell? :D
[/quote]

My wife does too. She follows a recipe to the very letter, and exercises very much proper kitchen technique. My guess is that is probably why her cooking is unsurpassed. :mrgreen: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :mrgreen:

My stuff many times looks and tastes like something the cat couldn't keep down. :lol: :lol: :lol: I've had people say, [i][b]"NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not eating that!!!!"[/b][/i] :lol: :cool: :oops: :hide :peek: