• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Churches that use the law "lawfully"

• Members

huh? what do you mean?

Someone emailed me before about this and showed me a chat log of how this person led someone else to Christ in a chatroom.

Sure, she used the Law and went through the 10 commandements. However the usage of the Law has to do with bringing about a personal knowledge of sin, not merely going through a checklist of 10 Laws that we have broken. You can take someone through that and still merely get head assent that they are not perfect.

This person then proceeded to lead that other person in a "sinner's prayer" and chalked it up as someone who got saved, but it was clear even in the chat log that this person had no idea what he was doing.

So while this lady had been enthusiastically learning how to use the Law in evangelism, she didn't realize that there was quite a bit of unlearning to do. What she had done instead was to integrate the use of the Law into what she had always been trained to do instead - to lead someone into a "decision".

The central message of the Law has to do with God, not man. It points out God's holiness and man's sinfulness and how much we lack and need the perfect righteousness of God which God will impute to man by faith, if we are willing to humble ourselves in repentance to receive it.

• Members

The central message of the Law has to do with God, not man. It points out God's holiness and man's sinfulness and how much we lack and need the perfect righteousness of God which God will impute to man by faith, if we are willing to humble ourselves in repentance to receive it.

Amen!
You have described how I feel better than I could describe myself. Thanks :thumb

• 10 months later...
  • Members
We do not have a 1-2-3 pray after me, we preach repentance from sin and turning to God...to me that's the same thing but maybe to you its not.

You are welcome to visit ours anytime....the job market is wide open here but the cost of living is also high.

http://www.onlinebaptist.com/messageboards/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21215

Almost a year after I began my search, the Lord finally gave me a job in Pennsylvania. Yes, the cost of living is higher--no more $400 rent--but the Lord will keep taking care of me.
I will definitely plan on visiting your church sometime, Suzy! Too far to attend, but it would be nice to meet you. As far as the job market being open...apparently computer jobs have been down recently, and nobody wanted to call back somebody right out of college from Kansas. Well, not until last December, that is. :)
I've been looking practically non-stop (ask Rachel!!) for internships, contract work, and full-time positions in Kansas, Albuquerque, Cleveland, Tennessee, Elkton, MD, and all over Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, Lancaster, Pittsburgh, and the Lehigh Valley). One time I even clicked London, England when filling out a profile on Monster.com.
I've interviewed with companies ranging from Google and Liberty Mutual to tiny start-ups and too many IT placement agencies to name. I've had recruiters contact me from as far away as Alaska (no thanks!). I considered dropping everything and studying to become an actuary instead of a software engineer.
I nearly drove my parents insane in the process. My fiance managed to ride it out somehow.
Once it got to November I started panicking, and interviewed with a few in-state companies that I really didn't want to work for. I got the offers, and then I declined them in December, and had no idea where I would be living in January, when my lease ran out--at the last minute (actually, after), I found a three-month lease in the same town.
Oh, and planning a wedding in April adds to the complexity as well.

This is not to mention clicking literally every church website in the US, and many internationally, linked on the Way of Life church directory.

And after everything? The Lord finally gives me a job in the first place I started looking to begin with, where I'll be able to attend the first church I already knew about before I started searching all over the place. I guess if I'd spent less time running all over the job websites like a chicken with its head cut off...and more time trusting the Lord, it would have all worked out the same way, and I would have had many, many hours back to do more productive things with. On the other hand, it was a good experience being able to call and email so many pastors and talk with them in-depth, and they told me they were praying for me.

Phew, the Lord is good. I will visit the church this weekend, so I hope everything goes well.

You'll probably never come, but the church I go to is the best church I know of. I'm not bragging, but it's just a great church. Everything is right. So far as my knowledge of the Bible tells me. We use the law to bring the knowledge of sin. We preach against sin. We preach repentance toward God, and faith toward the Lord Jesus Christ.
We specialize in evangelism. Gospel tract ministry, Street-preaching faithfully every week in our county, every FSU home game, and every major event in and around our area. Also, we make the BIG events all over the USA (Beale St. Bash, Mardi-Gras, Gesparilla, Gay pride events, etc.) We have cult-conversion classes in Sunday school, on how to defend the faith. Which my pastor goes through every major cult in the USA, and teaches us what they believe, and how to counter it with the Bible.
King James defense classes. One-on-one witnessing classes. Apologetics classes. We are just a little country church on the coast of FL. My pastor is in love with the Lord. I haven't found anything wrong doctrinally, or otherwise. Here is a little slideshow of all the programs, and activities that we have. My church is New Home Baptist Church.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-YaDBg9fzg

• 7 months later...
  • Members

sent a PM

He doesn't use the "Are you a good person" test. Not yet though. He would agree with you because I have heard him mention about Laws. In fact, one of his gospel tract have Romans 3:19 on it.

I feel Laws is very important. I got saved from Noahide. I chose that because I know I am not genetically Jewish, not by marriage nor by blood. I was looking into the Jewish religion because it was one of the oldest religion that still exist today and other religions sound way too fake to me.

After attempting the Noahide religion (it is sort of like the 10 commandments. It's a bunch of Laws that you must follow) , I kept wondering what will happen to me since I broke the Laws before (like having other gods). The Noahide does not give you any assurance. That's when it hit me like a brick that I needed Jesus. But Mainly it had me thinking "Who can go throughout his life from birth to death without breaking a single law?"

I am Jewish by birth and I've heard of the Noahide Laws...but I do not understand what they are. All I know is that NOBODY can keep the Law..that's why Christ came...to set us free from the bondage of the Law.

I was doing a search for Jewish Evangelism and found this one thread. If anyone is interested in evangelizing the Jewish people, there are many Jewish missions (not connected to the Messianic Jewish Movement), some supported by local churches...Hope of Israel.net is a Baptist based mission whose main mission field is the Jewish people. There are others...but some are "Messianically" based...I would not recommend those because the Messianic Movement is becoming rooted in the Hebrew Roots Movement, which has its origins in Jewish mysticism and the Kabbalah.

I am Jewish by birth and I've heard of the Noahide Laws...but I do not understand what they are. All I know is that NOBODY can keep the Law..that's why Christ came...to set us free from the bondage of the Law.

I was doing a search for Jewish Evangelism and found this one thread. If anyone is interested in evangelizing the Jewish people, there are many Jewish missions (not connected to the Messianic Jewish Movement), some supported by local churches...Hope of Israel.net is a Baptist based mission whose main mission field is the Jewish people. There are others...but some are "Messianically" based...I would not recommend those because the Messianic Movement is becoming rooted in the Hebrew Roots Movement, which has its origins in Jewish mysticism and the Kabbalah.

Hi, Linda. Well, if I did the geneology of my mom's family correctly...I am Jewish by birth, also. :thumb My mom's ancestors (Saul and Elisabeth) left Prussia (Germany) before the Holocaust in 1798. However, all of this information did not come out until later. It certainly explains many mysteries (LOL) in our family growing up. I can't begin to tell you the funny stories. I was raised in the RCC then went directly to the IFB. My evangelist friend Br. Bruce Musselman is VERY fluent on Jewish history. Are your family Holocaust survivors? We will have to talk more. :smile

Hey, Samer...I heard you talk about Cleveland, OH. Check out http://www.crbc-onlinebaptist.com. CRBC has the law "lawfully" down. You are only a stone's throw away. Don't worry about the man that is a "forbidden" word on this site. :lol: We don't follow his teachings...that was my old IFB church. Hubby and I are together b/c of him. :wink Check out the job market in Cleveland? We are picking up..."we have risen from the ashes". And, haven't been the poorest city in the nation for awhile. You know, how that goes in cylces? God bless you two (three).

• Members

Hi, Linda. Well, if I did the geneology of my mom's family correctly...I am Jewish by birth, also. :thumb My mom's ancestors (Saul and Elisabeth) left Prussia (Germany) before the Holocaust in 1798. However, all of this information did not come out until later. It certainly explains many mysteries (LOL) in our family growing up. I can't begin to tell you the funny stories. I was raised in the RCC then went directly to the IFB. My evangelist friend Br. Bruce Musselman is VERY fluent on Jewish history. Are your family Holocaust survivors? We will have to talk more. :smile

My grandparents were ultra orthodox Jews from Russia. They immigrated from Russia during the Russian pogroms..that would be at the end of the 19th century/beginning of the 20th century. They spoke no English when they got here. There may have been some Holocaust survivors in my family, but I am not aware of their names. I have a Jewish brother in the Lord who lost ALL of his family in the Holocaust. He is now in his 80s and lives in Colorado.

My grandparents were ultra orthodox Jews from Russia. They immigrated from Russia during the Russian pogroms..that would be at the end of the 19th century/beginning of the 20th century. They spoke no English when they got here. There may have been some Holocaust survivors in my family, but I am not aware of their names. I have a Jewish brother in the Lord who lost ALL of his family in the Holocaust. He is now in his 80s and lives in Colorado.

Hi, Linda. :smile What are the "Russian pogroms"? This is something new to me...I have never heard of that before.

candlelight, have you ever seen the musical, "Fiddler On The Roof"?

A pogrom was an anti-Jewish riot that resulted in Jewish people and communities being attacked and destroyed.

Yes! It was my dad's favorite movie when I was growing up. Thank you for letting me know this, Baker. It is sounding kinda familiar, now. I should look things up more. LOL.

• Members

And knowing Samer, he would probably get in trouble pretty soon after being there with all those hate crime laws. :wink
Our pastor always claims that if hate crimes legislation was passed for our state, he would call up the media and tell them to come to our church because there is going to be hate speech for the morning service. :lol

That is standing up for what you believe in. I've spoken to Samer a couple times before. Thats BOLD, VERY BOLD. I seem to like that word alot lately ...... BOLD.