Online Baptist Community

Instruments in church

Flourgirl

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

Oh.....it's called a KILT???
Where I come from....we call it a DRESS! :lol:

A kilt is not a dress and a dress is not a kilt. Different articles of clothing entirely.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this was in my Bible reading today and I thought about this post

Also the Levites which were the singers, all of them of Asaph, of Heman, of Jeduthun, with their sons and their brethren, being arrayed in white linen, having cymbals and psalteries and harps, stood at the east end of the altar, and with them an hundred and twenty priests sounding with trumpets:)
It came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of music, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the LORD;II Chronicles 5:12,13

• Advanced Member

Besides the piano or organ.... what are appropriate instruments to have in church? I know the drums are out, but what about stringed instruments, brass etc.... the reason that I am asking is that the church that we are attending has an elderly man that plays the guitar with some of the songs and special music, and I just love it. Just wondered what your thoughts were?

No organ. Organs are the instrument of the Roman Catholic Church.

ORGANS
From the Watchman And Observer, Richmond VA
February 22, 1849, Volume IV, No. 28.
Mr. Editor.

[quote]
No organ. Organs are the instrument of the Roman Catholic Church.
[/quote]

Psalm 150

1 ¶ Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.

2 Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.

3 Praise him with the sound of the [b]trumpet[/b]: praise him with the [b]psaltery and harp[/b].

4 Praise him with the [b]timbrel and dance[/b]: praise him with [b]stringed instruments[/b] and [size=25]organs[/size].

5 Praise him upon the[b] loud cymbals[/b]: praise him upon the [b]high sounding cymbals[/b].

6 Let [b]every thing that hath breath[/b] praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

For those who are curious about my fondness for Bluegrass gospel music, here are some interesting ancient instruments...

[spoiler]a [u][b]psaltery[/b][/u] is a precursor to the mountain dulcimer...

[img]http://www.bambooflute.com/bow2new.jpg[/img]

Here is what a [u][b]timbrel[/b][/u] looks like....

[img]http://www.masterkit.com/rwc/images/fotos_productos/ligeras/timbrel_single.jpg[/img]

An ancient [u][b]Harp[/b][/u]...

[img]http://www.bible-history.com/sketches/ancient/harp.jpg[/img]

Other ancient stringed instruments...

[img]http://www.summerthundermusic.com/index_files/SE_data/ZhongRuan.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.hobgoblin.com/itempics/gr3600k.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.stillonthehill.com/pictures/instruments/DSCF0083.jpg[/img]

This is an ancient trumpet made from ram's horn...

[img]http://www.civilization.ca/hist/advertis/images/adob6-3b.gif[/img]

The ancient organ was called a Hydralis and was invented around 300 B.C. ....

[img]http://www.archaeologychannel.org/images/hydranc.jpg[/img]

Although no one actually knows when or where bagpipes were invented, it is believed that bagpipes predate the Hydralis by several centuries. This is a hieroglyphic if a bagpiper from Ancient Persia. Bag pipes are in the same musical family as pipe organs, except they do not have the keyboard. This could very well have been an instrument in King David's court...

[img]http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/27800/27875/bag-pipe_27875_th.gif[/img][/spoiler]

What do y'all think of voodoo bongo drums played in church? On one hand, I have heard that such beats and rythms pertain to devil/demon worship and have no place in a Christian orchestra, and on the other hand I have heard that as long as the person who is wailing on the drums is doing it to worship the Lord, it is okay. I don't know if King David had drums in his psalms or not.

Did you say VOODOO bongo drums? Hmm....
Voodoo- a black religious cult in the Caribbean and southern U.S., combining elements of Roman Catholic ritual with traditional African magical and religious rites, and characterized by sorcery and spirit possession.

Why is it that we can take the world's music, say we are doing it as unto the Lord and suddenly it becomes Christian? Take away all standards, I'll do it all unto the Lord. :loco

Personally, I have a problem with drums in the church. You never see them mentioned in the Bible - and they were available in OT times. You do find handheld percussion instruments, like tambourines and tabrets, but not drums.

Our church has the traditonal piano and organ. Sometimes the Associate/Youth pastor will play a guitar with one of the songs in the service. That's it for musical instruments there.

Oh, the guitar he plays is a plain old guitar, not one of those electric guitars hooked to an amp like I've had the misfortune to hear in a couple of churches.

I believe it all boils down to all things in moderation.

To an extent I agree. Of course, what some people consider "moderate" I wouldn't. Those chuches I visited with the screaming electric guitars didn't see anything wrong in that and didn't believe they were anywhere close to anything away from moderation.

Guest Guest

I went to a service in a Charismatic Baptist Church (you heard it right) that was like a third rate rock concert. The guy on the drums was doing drum rolls all over the place like the rock groups of the 80's did a lot.

I went to a revival at a KJV bible believing church outside Dayton, Ohio once and they had a small drum set. It keeped a good rythmn without getting showy or over powering and added a little "life" to the songs.

All things in moderation.

Wil

Do all drumbeats "excite the flesh?"

There are some beats that obviously do bring about wrong fleshly "feelings" and often actions but I have noticed drums used in many forms of music where I don't see how it could be said to "excite the flesh."

It's not always the instrument....it's how it's played.....

Three basic elements of music: Melody, Harmony, and rhythm. Without some kind of rhythm to keep everyone in synch....music can sound pretty bad. I've heard preachers lambast drums but watched that same preacher tapping his foot to the rhythm of the piano. Yep, pianos produce rhythm too.
Once again, it's not the instrument...it's how it's played. Most of the "southern gospel" you hear today, has WAY to much drums in it.

I've heard drums many times, played in "military style" and it sure wasn't fleshly, and I've heard some sweet, God honouring music on electric guitar, many times. Nothing wrong with an electric bass either, if it's played right and not overpowering. It adds to the music.

But just as you can use an electric or acoustic guitar to play rock, blues, jazz, anything;
you can put "caps" on a piano and play it "honky tonk" style. Or you can play "honky tonk" even without the caps.
Even organs have been used in rock music many times. I could give examples.

We play bluegrass gospel....no drums.....and all acoustic. But I have nothing against any instrument as long as it is played "making melody in your hearts unto the Lord" and not in a manner that excites the flesh.

Col 3:23 And whatsoever ye do, do [it] heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

• Advanced Member

Please don't chew my church out but we have electric guitars, regular guitars, regular piano, organ, keyboard, and drums LOL. What makes this cute is the one side has the grand piano and and guitars and the other side has the Organ , Keyboard and drum set. Without these You will fall asleep at my church after you here what melody they play.