• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Instruments in church

Flourgirl

• Members

Besides the piano or organ.... what are appropriate instruments to have in church? I know the drums are out, but what about stringed instruments, brass etc.... the reason that I am asking is that the church that we are attending has an elderly man that plays the guitar with some of the songs and special music, and I just love it. Just wondered what your thoughts were?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Our church has an orchestra that plays with the congregational hymns. Occasionally, we will have a brass group play with the choir for a special song - usually on Easter or Christmas. We even include some drums with them, but they are the kettle drums, not snare drums.

My youth pastor plays a guitar, another man in our church plays a mandolin, and I play the hammered dulcimer as a trio once in a while. In a week and a half, I will be playing a bowed psaltry for the offertory.

• Members

I think almost any instrument can be used appropriately. I wouldn't be comfortable with drums as the main attraction but in an orchestra, they are an integral part.

One church we went to used the piano and organ for congregational singing but specials were played also on the flute, guitar, trombone, trumpet, hammered dulcimer, autoharp and even "glasses". :mrgreen:

• Members

[quote="bibletotingunslinger"]
[quote="kevinmiller"][quote="BroMatt"]For me it is not the instrument, but rather what and how the instrument is being played.
[/quote]

Ditto.[/quote]

DITTO![/quote]

Ditto that ditto!

No one has mentioned bagpipes!

Amazing Grace on the bagpipes is awesome! especially when it is performed in full Scottish regalia!

• Members

Are you advocating men wear skirts in church? I'm just kidding and poking fun. In fact, I would expect a bag-piper to wear nothing but full regalia.

Mitch

And you're right - There's nothing like "Amazing Grace" played on bagpipes. That's the one request I have for my funeral.