• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Instruments in church

Flourgirl

• Members

Our church has the traditonal piano and organ. Sometimes the Associate/Youth pastor will play a guitar with one of the songs in the service. That's it for musical instruments there.

Oh, the guitar he plays is a plain old guitar, not one of those electric guitars hooked to an amp like I've had the misfortune to hear in a couple of churches.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
I believe it all boils down to all things in moderation.

To an extent I agree. Of course, what some people consider "moderate" I wouldn't. Those chuches I visited with the screaming electric guitars didn't see anything wrong in that and didn't believe they were anywhere close to anything away from moderation.

Guest Guest

I went to a service in a Charismatic Baptist Church (you heard it right) that was like a third rate rock concert. The guy on the drums was doing drum rolls all over the place like the rock groups of the 80's did a lot.

I went to a revival at a KJV bible believing church outside Dayton, Ohio once and they had a small drum set. It keeped a good rythmn without getting showy or over powering and added a little "life" to the songs.

All things in moderation.

Wil

• Members

Do all drumbeats "excite the flesh?"

There are some beats that obviously do bring about wrong fleshly "feelings" and often actions but I have noticed drums used in many forms of music where I don't see how it could be said to "excite the flesh."

• Members

It's not always the instrument....it's how it's played.....

Three basic elements of music: Melody, Harmony, and rhythm. Without some kind of rhythm to keep everyone in synch....music can sound pretty bad. I've heard preachers lambast drums but watched that same preacher tapping his foot to the rhythm of the piano. Yep, pianos produce rhythm too.
Once again, it's not the instrument...it's how it's played. Most of the "southern gospel" you hear today, has WAY to much drums in it.

I've heard drums many times, played in "military style" and it sure wasn't fleshly, and I've heard some sweet, God honouring music on electric guitar, many times. Nothing wrong with an electric bass either, if it's played right and not overpowering. It adds to the music.

But just as you can use an electric or acoustic guitar to play rock, blues, jazz, anything;
you can put "caps" on a piano and play it "honky tonk" style. Or you can play "honky tonk" even without the caps.
Even organs have been used in rock music many times. I could give examples.

We play bluegrass gospel....no drums.....and all acoustic. But I have nothing against any instrument as long as it is played "making melody in your hearts unto the Lord" and not in a manner that excites the flesh.

Col 3:23 And whatsoever ye do, do [it] heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

• Members

Please don't chew my church out but we have electric guitars, regular guitars, regular piano, organ, keyboard, and drums LOL. What makes this cute is the one side has the grand piano and and guitars and the other side has the Organ , Keyboard and drum set. Without these You will fall asleep at my church after you here what melody they play.

• Members
Please don't chew my church out but we have electric guitars' date=' regular guitars, regular piano, organ, keyboard, and drums LOL. What makes this cute is the one side has the grand piano and and guitars and the other side has the Organ , Keyboard and drum set. Without these You will fall asleep at my church after you here what melody they play.[/b']

At my church....
Banjos, acoustic guitars, mandolins, electric bass, grand piano Sunday morning, Sunday night and Wednesday night. Sometimes electric guitar, standup bass, and dobro.

Guest Guest
How does a beat that keeps the rhythm of the music add life to it? The melody is the life of the song. A repetetive drum beat isn't exciting or uplifting. It excites the flesh though which is easily interpreted as "exciting" music.

Brother, if I would say that the biblical lyrics add life to it you would still argue about it. The truth is is that instruments can add "life" to the lyrics. You even said that your church has a "full orchestra" and were happy about it. But if I say I thought the drums added "life" (maybe not the best word to use but folks know what I mean) you puff up in your typical pious clap-trap.

Wil

PS Many churches use the piano or organ to add "life" to the invitation.

• Members

Brother, if I would say that the biblical lyrics add life to it you would still argue about it. The truth is is that instruments can add "life" to the lyrics. You even said that your church has a "full orchestra" and were happy about it. But if I say I thought the drums added "life" (maybe not the best word to use but folks know what I mean) you puff up in your typical pious clap-trap.

Wil

PS Many churches use the piano or organ to add "life" to the invitation.

The melody should be what is the life of the music. The words are a form of expression to accompany the music but do not make a song right or wrong or lifefull or lifeless. Yes, our orchestra does have a full orchestra, with a focus on the melody with the rhythm in harmony with it. A repetetive drum beat does not add "life," it adds carnality. It is interesting that you get so offended that you feel the need to make unfounded and rude accusations against my character since it is quite obvious to anyone reading that what I said was not pious nor arrogant in any way.