• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Murphy's Thread

• Members

*DISCLAIMER* This thread is intended merely for lighthearted humor, story-sharing and laughing at ourselves.

I think my pal, Murphy, deserves his own thread. You know Murphy, right? Murphy of "Murphy's Law"? This thread is strictly for our run-ins with good ol' Murphy. Feel free to share your own.

My story today has a chain of events that led up to today.

About two weeks ago, we bought a new pictus catfish for our aquarium. This is what he looked like:

pictus.jpg

All was fine and dandy until late last week, I noticed he had gotten "ick" - a fish parasite. We treated for the "ick" but didn't realize the meds we got are dangerous to catfish. Well, we also had 2 striped raphael catfish in our aquarium. One was about 4 inches long and the other about 6 inches. The 6-incher we've had for 5 1/2 years. This is what a raphael looks like:

raph.jpg

A couple of day ago, we noticed that the pictus cat still looked very ill and also that the two raphaels were starting to look sick. They had red streaks down their sides, etc. Anyhoooo, one died last night and the other one was nearly there so dh quickly decided to flush them down the white, porcelain way. He was in a hurry because he had to get to work and didn't think that perhaps our commode just might not have the right size exit hole. It didn't. :thumbdown Clog galore and dh couldn't fix the commode until tonight.

Here's where Murphy appears and I'll try to be as delicate as possible. On any given day, there will be a few bathroom "episodes" requiring some, um, paperwork. Today there were NINE (9). :uuhm:

Thanks, Murphy.

• Members

For sure I think ol' Murphy camps out on my shoulder watching every move I make. :Bleh :bonk:

Why is it that as I'm traveling down the roads at night time there will be no cars to speak of on the roads but let me get to my driveway or on narrow, sharp curves or at my points to turn left onto another road suddenly there will be whole strings of cars coming the other way. Not only that but this syndrome is especially prevalent during rainy weather at night when visibility is poor. :verymad::verymad::verymad::bonk::bonk: :bonK:

• Members

I had a fish aquarium for several years, I always run just a bit of salt in mine, not very much, it seemed to prevent "ick" and my fish just seemed to be much healthier and more active. After about a year of running that bit of salt in mine our good friends who had an aquarium much longer than I started doing the same with great results.

I had a 40 and a 20 gallon, Walmarts started carrying fish sometime back, everytime I pass by them I seem to have to stop and look at them for a while. I've thought about getting into it again, it was a lot of pleasure.

Except for when I 1st set up the 20 gallon. I had it set up for 2 weeks, them went and bought fish, brought them home and put them in, the nest morning all of them but maybe 4 or 5 were floating upside down.

Is this Murphy's law, anything that can go wrong will go wrong, sooner or later.

• Members

I used to have a fifty gallon tank with a lot of "fancy" fish (freshwater sharks, catfish, etc.). Anyhow...disease wiped out almost the entire tank. Roughy three to four hundred dollars worth of fish. So now I just stick to the cheaper variaties and a thirty gallon tank. Though I must say, I really did enjoy having the bigger tank and the "neater" fish. It really is enjoyable. Okay, enough fish talk.

Here's Murphy for you:

The other night, I went out to my parents (where I keep my firewood) to bring a load back. My truck's starter has been a little weak and I've been needing to replace it. Any case, I got all the way back to the intersection in town (yes, there's really only one main one in this little town - though we live just outside of town) and the light turned yellow and I decided not to chance hurrying through the intersection and stop. Just my luck: for some unknown reason, my truck died and the starter drive just wouldn't kick out and turn the engine over. So, the light turns green and here I am, trying to get my truck to start while holding up traffic.

Here's God for you:

A guy came up and helped me push the truck into a parking lot and I just happened to have my tools with me. I crawled up under the truck and pulled the starter just to find that one of the wires had a bad connection and - with no light to see - I got the start put back on and was able to get a good connection on the wire. Climbed in the truck and it started right up! I got home (the whole mile) just fine. The next morning I went out to start the truck up and the starter wouldn't do a thing! (And the wires were fine.) So, I'd have to say it wasn't my great mechanic skills that got the truck started after all.

No matter what Murphy does...my God's bigger and better and can solve anything that comes my way!

• Members

With my old 92 Blazer S-10 4X4, 6 years ago I was headed out of our small town coming home, remember I meant to stop at my regular parts store to get some nuts and bolts, so I just stopped at a parts store at the edge of town. when I get back in it want start. I buy myself a new battery right there.

This year, I go down to my daughters house to put a trickle charger on her riding mower. Get back in, it want start. I walk home for daughter and wife are still at work, call wife tell her to stop and get me a battery. The battery was a 5 year battery.

By the way, this is the 3rd battery its had on it, the 1st one went out in my drive way. But 3 batteries in 17 years, not bad being I was in a great place each time time battery has gone out.

• Members

Murphy is my constant companion. I've had to learn to work with him.

For instance...if I have a quick visitor or wedding tasting...I HAVE to wipe down the downstairs bathroom/laundry room. Usually nobody needs to use the bathroom, but on the days I don't have time to wipe things down, somebody does. Last week Murphy and I came to an understanding. I took a few extra minutes to wipe down the bathroom (after considering not to) and my tasting visitor asked to use it before he left. :-)

The best way to get an expected visitor or phone call to come on time is to go to the bathroom at that time. Although to beat Murphy...don't actually go. Just shut and lock the door, then listen for the phone or doorbell. Voila!

Always shower and get presentable early. The day you don't, is the day somebody knocks on your door.

Always bring extra clothes for your kids. The time you don't is the time they have some sort of accident.

There are so many more....but I've learned to plan ahead for Murphy because he visits me ALOT.

• Members

:Green Kitagrl. :thumb

Yep, that's the same Murphy that visits me too. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

My two favorite Murphy's laws::::::::

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong the one that will take prominence is the one that will cause the most damage.

...and,

When something is fouled up anything done to fix it or improve it will only make it worse.

• Members
Ya know' date=' a lot of people are even putting phones in their bathrooms now. Just seems a little to weird for me, but to each his own I guess. Wouldn't that be a little embarrassing though? "Excuse me, I need to flush..." :ooops :lol:[/quote']
:hide :ooops :lol::lol::lol:***laughs behind hands***

• Members

Putting phones in bathrooms, yes, Americans love talking on their phone no matter where they are or what their doing. Its sacking to me.

Last week at Walmart a woman checking out in front of me was talking on her cell phone, while trying to pay her bill, she dropped her credit card, dropped her billfold, finally getting it all picked up she dropped her purse, everything came tumbling out of it, but that cell phone stayed firmly pressed to her ear, I don't believe she ever stopped talking into while gathering everything up, them her credit care would not work, finally she rumbled thru her purse while she kept right on talking on that cell phone and finally came up with another credit card, thankfully after about 5 more minutes of fumbling around while talking on that cell phone she got checked out.

People are so rude, but she was probably blaming it all on Murphy. :loco