• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Cast Iron

• Members

Do you use any cast iron cooking pots pans etc... I have a cast iron skillet that I have NEVER used, and a few weeks ago i bought a cast iron muffin pan. I loved the muffin pan . You still pray it with non stick spray, but all of the muffins came out perfectly. And, I found out that the muffin pan stays "warm" for a long time :doh: I will know not to touch it for an hour or so next time!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

:hmm Hmm- I use that skillet on a daily basis for

frying bacon (save the bacon grease)
cooking eggs - frying, scrambling, omlettes, etc
cooking pancakes
making gravy
frying taters
baking Martha White buttermilk cornbread
baking homemade buttermilk biscuits

It is a very versatile and all important piece of kitchen equipment - every kitchen ought to have at least one good cast iron skillet, IMHO.

• Members

I usually don't make both cornbread AND biscuits at the same time - one or the other - and then when it's done you transfer to a warm plate and cover with a dishcloth, then you can make some gravy to go with it if you want to. At one time I had 5 or 6 iron skillets so I would not have to "juggle" food like that, but over the years I have condensed it all down to just one good, well-seasoned iron skillet and a couple of saucepans is all that I really need. I don't fry my meats anymore, I usually roast or pan broil them inside the stove.

• Members

Cast iron can be used on the top of the stove, it can be used in the oven, it can be used over a camp fire, it can be used on top of a "Ben Franklin" stove or wood stove - it is very versatile and can be used anywhere. It is not just stove top cook ware.

• Members

I am sure I have posted my recipe for cornbread here before, but just in case you have not seen it, here it is again...

BASIC SOUTHERN CORNBREAD

Country Style

2 cups of Martha White self-rising cornmeal
2 eggs beaten
2 cups buttermilk
2 Tablespoons bacon drippings, melted, or veg. oil

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Grease your 9-inch skillet with about 2 tablespoon of shortening or oil (Use bacon drippings instead if available). Leave oil in bottom of pan... Place pan in oven to heat ....
Combine cornmeal, 2 eggs, buttermilk, and the melted bacon drippings. Mix well. Pour into hot skillet. Batter will sizzle.
Bake at 450 degrees for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Serves 6 to 8
Hint: Sprinkle a little cornmeal in the hot pan before adding the batter. It will brown and add a crispier texture.

• Members

Here is a recipe for Biscuits similar to what I make, only I never use a recipe to make them, and I basically cut them with a sharp can into the biscuit shapes rather than dropping them into the pan, but otherwise this recipe is very similar to how I make mine...

Iron Skillet Biscuits

Ingredients:

2 c Self rising flour
3/4 c Water or milk
3 tb Shortening
1/2 c Butter, melted (bacon grease gives better flavor and texture)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Iron Skillet Biscuits Instructions:

Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
Cut shortening into flour, gradually add milk.
Generously grease 10 inch iron skillet.
Drop large spoonfuls of batter into skillet (an ice cream scooper works great.)
Bake 5 minutes; remove from oven and pour melted butter over top.
Return to oven and bake 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until brown.

Note: This recipe appeared in the Waycross (Georgia) Journal-Herald 17th Annual Cookbook November 16, 1990 and was submitted by Jo Ann Whidby.