• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Lordship Salvation

To what extent is submitting to the Lordship of Christ required for salvation?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. To what extent is submitting to the Lordship of Christ required for salvation?

• Completely. Christ must be Lord of one's life before He will be Saviour, and He must be Lord of all, or He is not Lord at all. There is no such thing as a carnal Christian. We do not accept Christ--He accepts us!
    • Somewhat. When a person realizes his sins put Christ on the cross, he won't want to live in them anymore, but a lost sinner can't "make Christ Lord of his life"--only fall down before Him in faith--but this does involve submission in some sense. True Christians can fall into sin, but sin is not the main pattern of the Christian life.
    • Not at all--that would be works salvation! The only sin a person can turn from is unbelief or self-righteousness. There are many people who get saved and never get baptized or go to church, but the important thing is if they prayed to accept Christ as Saviour.
    • Other--please explain.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

What is Lordship salvation and how does it differ from Biblical salvation?

Most who voted #1 would consider themselves to believe in Lordship salvation.
Most who voted #2 would not consider themselves to believe in Lordship salvation, but would say that's only the people in #1.
Most who voted #3 would consider both #1 and #2 to believe in Lordship salvation.

Incidentally, reading the words of many in #1 and #3, they almost make it seem that there are no other positions than these two. :lol:

http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/questionsansweredrepentance.htm
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Awww.wayoflife.org+lordship+salvation&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

• Members

The drunkard turning from his drunkenness could happen practically simultaneous with the drunkard's Salvation.

I agree. The drunkard could be so impressed with the presentation of the Gospel and their sinfulness and need of the Saviour, that right then they turn from their drunkeness and receive Jesus - repenting of that sin AS they are embracing Christ for salvation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

According to John MacArthur (and others who believe in Lordship Salvation) the second choice is roughly how they define Lordship Salvation.

What they put forth is that while technically Jesus is the Lord of those who are saved, we as Christians must choose to accept His Lordship in our lives.

For example, we can have a boss at work. Technically, they are our boss no choice involved. However, it is our choice if we accept them as being our boss and follow them or if we rebel and choose to ignore their leadership or fight against it.

There are many professing Christians who refuse to accept the Lordship of Christ in their lives. They know what the Word says yet they willfully refuse to submit to the Lordship of Christ in various areas of their lives.

• Members

According to John MacArthur (and others who believe in Lordship Salvation) the second choice is roughly how they define Lordship Salvation.

What they put forth is that while technically Jesus is the Lord of those who are saved, we as Christians must choose to accept His Lordship in our lives.

For example, we can have a boss at work. Technically, they are our boss no choice involved. However, it is our choice if we accept them as being our boss and follow them or if we rebel and choose to ignore their leadership or fight against it.

There are many professing Christians who refuse to accept the Lordship of Christ in their lives. They know what the Word says yet they willfully refuse to submit to the Lordship of Christ in various areas of their lives.

Yes, and it seems some, they get saved, them they don't care and or feel ignorance of the Bible is on their side.

That is, I'm saved, that enough for me, now I'm going to enjoy myself.

But, that shows that they have not let Jesus change their heart, thus there is no difference between before and after.

So that will make one of Jesus true brothers and sister wonder if they have actually been saved.

There was a man in our town, who lived a rather rough life, drinking, gambling and running around he enjoyed much.

Just about the time he was 60 he got cancer, he made it thru and was back to work after which he submitted to baptizing at our local SBC Church.

Many claimed he was a completely changed man, I suppose like some he changed for a short time in front of some people, but them went back to his old game it seemed.

He went to the gambling boat one early one afternoon on his motorcycle, had a big night of gambling I suppose. The next morning well after day break on his way home he wrecked his motorcycle, it killed him. A witness said he was riding a bit wild, what ever that means.

Which wild was actually normal for him.

For instant in about 1978 I was leaving out headed for the west coast. I met him down south of town where there use to be 2 narrow bridges. When I saw him coming I knew he was drunk, he was pulling his fishing boat and was weaving all over the road. I tired every way I could to keep from meeting him on that bridge, but we crossed it at the same time. Some how we stayed apart.

The last time I saw him that day was in my left rear view mirror, he was still weaving all over the road.

Which I hope he was saved and I'm proud that isn't my judgment to make.

But some peoples fruit sure looks rather rotten. That is all we have to go by according to God's Word.

Some want heaven, but they don't want to live for God, sad.

• Members

I know what you mean Jerry. This is why I believe that practicing or promoting "easy believism" is a great sin.

How many tens of thousands of folks have repeated a prayer with a TV preacher or with some door knocker, never really hearing, knowing or understanding the Gospel, and are yet led to believe they are "saved" and "going to heaven"???

It's very sad the number of folks I've encountered who say they don't need to hear the Gospel because they are Christians already yet if they tell you why they believe they are a Christian it's unbiblical. They believe they are okay with God because they were baptized (either as an infant, child or adult), they said a prayer with with a TV preacher, or simply because they have beliefs in their heart that we just can't see.

There are some preachers that teach a person can be saved and live worldy the rest of their lives yet they are saved. Scripture, on the other hand, states that those who are saved will show evidence of their salvation by their fruits, works and changed life.

I believe it's dangerous and wrong to tell the unsaved they can pray for salvation and if they go ahead and live as they did prior to saying that prayer that just means they are saved but never fully surrendered themselves to the Lordship of Christ.

A person who attended our Bible studies in university for a time claimed to be saved. He read his Bible and knew it pretty good but he yet lived very worldly. When questioned about this he would say it didn't matter and he didn't care about rewards in heaven. He said he was saved so it didn't matter how he lived because he would be content to be the dog catcher in heaven.

This person eventually fell away and completely turned his back on Christ and Christianity. :sad

• Members

1 John 3:9 - Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Madeline, So are you telling me that your living a perfect sin free life since you were saved?

John, Do you know any Christian who lives a perfectly sin free life?

• Members

Madeline, So are you telling me that your living a perfect sin free life since you were saved?

John, Do you know any Christian who lives a perfectly sin free life?

Hmmm....tell me Jerry808, do you take the KJV to be God's word verbatim? All I cited was a bible verse, nothing more and nothing less. So are you arguing against me or God's word?

• Members

I only found two places in scripture where lordship was mentioned and the context was not salvation.

Mar 10:42 But Jesus called them [to him], and saith unto them, Ye know that they which are accounted to rule over the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and their great ones exercise authority upon them.

Luk 22:25 And he said unto them, The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and they that exercise authority upon them are called benefactors.

• Members

Hmmm....tell me Jerry808, do you take the KJV to be God's word verbatim? All I cited was a bible verse, nothing more and nothing less. So are you arguing against me or God's word?

Seems you avoided my question with a question.

I'll try once again.

My question was not about the Bible, what is written in it, it was a question only about you.

• Members

Seems you avoided my question with a question.

I'll try once again.

My question was not about the Bible, what is written in it, it was a question only about you.

I simply quoted from the KJV bible KJVJerry! You then took this to a personal level by asking me if I am living a perfect sin free life.

1 John 3:9 - Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Do you agree with the above verse cited from the KJV Jerry? I do, it is God's perfect word! I'm beginning to wonder why you questioned it from the start...