• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is truth relative?

• Members

Okay here is the question/s:

Is truth relative? In other words can something be true for you and not true for me? Can something be true at one point and no longer true? Or is it set in stone, truth is truth no matter what, and nothing has or will change that.

This is to stir up some thinking, so before I even go on I want to make it clear so there is no misunderstandings. I am going to post suggestions and/or "explanations" to both sides, in order to get things rolling. If I am "defending" the relativity of truth, it is not because I believe in it, but simply to try and get some more conversation about it. If I someone misunderstands my intentions after this warning, I will go crazy. :mad: :verymad::bang: :make:

I recently talked to a Hindu man, and he really got me stumped on a few things, and this was one of them, so this is a tool mostly for me to see how to approach the matter, as well as for the benefit of others :smile

-Alen

• Members

Woe to us if truth was not relative!!

What do you mean I got my math test wrong? I answered 2+2=4. Oh, you mean the answer is five for you...

The fact that truth is absolute and does not change because God is truth and does not change brings me tremendous comfort and stability in life.

• Members

Here is some examples:

It may be true for you that you're an American, but it may not be true for someone else

It is true today that man can fly, but it was not 500 years ago.

-Alen

I dunno, there's a difference between tangible truths and intangible ones...

• Members

Truth doesn't change. Besides, man still can't fly - it is the airplanes that fly... Man could still fly 500 years ago if he had the means to do so.

• Members

I think it would be a smokescreen for someone to use a fact of life such as "I like green beans but you do not" to equate the truths of God, creation, etc.

Some truths are absolute. Mathematics is a very good proof of this. You can never change math. God Word is as organized and truthful as math...because God created math. Truths such as this are never relative.

Anyway "I like green beans" would not be a truth. "Green beans are healthy" would be a truth. The rest is opinion and has not been put down as proven fact.

• Members

Hmm, man you guys are smarter than the average bear! :lol: I wish I thought up some of these answers when I was at the door. Though I did think of some of the things mentioned here, not all the points though. I will keep this in mind, I can't think of any other refutations at the moment, so I guess that is it, for now :grin

-Alen

• Members

Oh yes Alen, don't forget to strike at the conscience of the lost person's soul.

WHAT IS RELATIVISM? It is the EXCUSE of Man, the excuse to do whatever he wants and likes to do.

This is attitude of fallen Man, as well as our sinful, lost nature, "...doing what is right in their own eyes."

If I love to do something, even if MY CONSCIENCE and GOD'S WORD says it is WRONG, won't I like to twist and distort God's word to fit my ends? For instance, if I love to drink alcohol, won't I say, "Jesus drank wine! Jesus turned water into wine!" and other stuff, even though I know the wine was NOT alcoholic?

Likewise relativism merely provides an excuse for Man to do as they like, to twist ABSOLUTE values and doctrines to fit their own ends. When was the last time a person did this to score well in exams (by copying from others), say?

• Members

It may be true for you that you're an American, but it may not be true for someone else

It is true today that man can fly, but it was not 500 years ago.

Actually, both statements are true, you just need to make four sentences out of them. They are made contradictory, and cannot
be reconciled as written. It is like a trick question. If you are an
American, then you are. What someone else is has nothing to do with
what you are.
Man can fly today. Man could not fly 500 years ago. You cannot put
both in one sentence and see if it is true or not, it is impossible.