• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Perfect Bibles In Other Languages?

• Members

After he chose one nation, He sent his Son which showed that now He has chosen the whole world.

It is up to Christians to make sure the world has the Gospel (see "Great Commission") and that would logically include translation of the Scriptures.

Agreed. :thumb

The Jews were God's chosen people in the OT. English-speaking people are not God's new elect.

Guest Guest

Why would God only preserve His Word for English speaking people?

I don't know. Maybe because English is the most prevalent language in the world? Maybe Textus Receptus based Bibles in other languages are just as good as the King James Version. I honestly don't know. I've never really studied the issue before.

• 14 years later...
  • Members
On 4/7/2007 at 7:36 PM, Kitagrl said:

Why would God only preserve His Word for English speaking people?

First thought:   to judge them.   To whom much is given , much is required.

Second thought:  anyone,  in any country,  any language,  who seeks the Father, the Kingdom of God,  and keeps seeking,  by God's Own Promise finds Him and HIs Kingdom and HIs Righteousness,  no matter what language he knows or has,  or even if he cannot read nor write .

Does anyone really think God preserved His Word only for English speaking people ?

6 hours ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

If you're talking about the JW New World Translation, then you would be wrong. The NWT was translated from Wescott and Hort's text. 

The Greek master text by the Cambridge University scholars B. F. Westcott and F. J. A. Hort (1881) was used as the basis for translating the New Testament into English.[28] The committee also referred to the Novum Testamentum Graece (18th edition, 1948) and to works by Jesuit scholars José M. Bover (1943),[28] and Augustinus Merk (1948).[28] The United Bible Societies' text (1975) and the Nestle-Aland text (1979) were used to update the footnotes in the 1984 version. Additional works consulted in preparing the New World Translation include the Armenian Version, Coptic Versions, the Latin Vulgate, Sistine and Clementine Revised Latin Texts, Textus Receptus, the Johann Jakob Griesbach's Greek text, the Emphatic Diaglott, and various papyri.[47]

1024px-NWT-GS.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_World_Translation_of_the_Holy_Scriptures

• Members
10 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

Just for information.

The Jehovah Witness translation used the Textus Receptus.

You may have only put it in for information. That is fine...this information is ALSO pertinent...the New World Translation, containing the KJV, also has added text.

9 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

You may have only put it in for information. That is fine...this information is ALSO pertinent...the New World Translation, containing the KJV, also has added text.

I don't know if they added text or not. But I know it is a bad translation.

• Members

And you taught in a seminary? I find this hard to believe! They added to the beginning of Genesis...you should know that if you taught in a seminary! They had also emphasized verses that promote their doctrine. The Mormon's have done this as well.

• Members
56 minutes ago, Bouncing Bill said:

I don't know if they added text or not. But I know it is a bad translation.

Outside of the text that was added in the beginning of Genesis...could you give a "for instance?" I'm not just going to take your word that it's a "bad translation." We need proof of this, especially since it's supposed to be the KJV version of the Bible.

15 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Outside of the text that was added in the beginning of Genesis...could you give a "for instance?" I'm not just going to take your word that it's a "bad translation." We need proof of this, especially since it's supposed to be the KJV version of the Bible.

OK, do some research and determine if it is a good or bad translation.

20 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

YOU are the one that says it's a bad translation...back your assessment up.

The New World Translation is unique in one thing – it is the first intentional, systematic effort at producing a complete version of the Bible that is edited and revised for the specific purpose of agreeing with a group’s doctrine. The Jehovah’s Witnesses and the Watchtower Society realized that their beliefs contradicted Scripture. So, rather than conforming their beliefs to Scripture, they altered Scripture to agree with their beliefs. The “New World Bible Translation Committee” went through the Bible and changed any Scripture that did not agree with Jehovah’s Witness theology. This is clearly demonstrated by the fact that, as new editions of the New World Translation were published, additional changes were made to the biblical text. As biblical Christians continued to point out Scriptures that clearly argue for the deity of Christ (for example), the Watchtower Society would publish new editions of the New World Translation with those Scriptures changed. Here are some of the more prominent examples of intentional revisions:

https://www.gotquestions.org/New-World-Translation.html

• Members
14 minutes ago, Bouncing Bill said:

The New World Translation is unique in one thing – it is the first intentional, systematic effort at producing a complete version of the Bible that is edited and revised for the specific purpose of agreeing with a group’s doctrine. The Jehovah’s Witnesses and the Watchtower Society realized that their beliefs contradicted Scripture. So, rather than conforming their beliefs to Scripture, they altered Scripture to agree with their beliefs. The “New World Bible Translation Committee” went through the Bible and changed any Scripture that did not agree with Jehovah’s Witness theology. This is clearly demonstrated by the fact that, as new editions of the New World Translation were published, additional changes were made to the biblical text. As biblical Christians continued to point out Scriptures that clearly argue for the deity of Christ (for example), the Watchtower Society would publish new editions of the New World Translation with those Scriptures changed. Here are some of the more prominent examples of intentional revisions:

https://www.gotquestions.org/New-World-Translation.html

So, outside of a "google-search," you truly have no idea whether it's a good translation or not, correct? Have you ever dealt directly with the NWT? I have led two JW's to the Lord using the NWT...not easy, but it CAN be done. I'm not saying that the translation is good, but I am saying that it's still got enough of the meat of the KJV in it to win souls.