• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Corn Police

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Cause to me, drinking cow's milk isn't all that different from drinking the milk of any other animal, just that it's easier to get from cows. :wink

Well, that's true. I'll give you that. :frog :wink I still like milk, though, and I've never had any health problems that I could point to milk as being the cause. I think if you have allergies to dairy products or lactose intolerance, then definitely avoid all things dairy (or take enzymes). But some of us like milk, so we're going to keep on drinking it. :frog

OK, now back to corn. :lol

• Members

Yes indeedy, tomatoes, peppers and all manner of other good things we eat are fruits.

The rule of thumb that I have been taught works like this:::::::

We have fruits, Vegetables, Seeds and Nuts.

Fruits::: The flesh that surrounds the seed(s) of a plant.

Vegetables::: The leaves and stalk of the plant.

Seeds::: The "capsule" inside the fruit that contains the germ.

Nuts::: The seeds from certain trees.

So then, in that scheme of things the pods with beans in them of green and yellow snap beans are both fruit and seeds.

• Members

They are called roots. Tuberous roots, but still roots.
Have you ever wondered who first thought of the idea of eating roots? "Hey, lookie here, a big, fat root - boy, that looks yummy!" Now, I'm glad they did, but what prompted someone to be the first person to take a bite out of it?

Oh, well, I just daydreaming until quitting time.

Mitch

• Members

Have you ever wondered who first thought of the idea of eating roots? "Hey, lookie here, a big, fat root - boy, that looks yummy!" Now, I'm glad they did, but what prompted someone to be the first person to take a bite out of it?

Oh, well, I just daydreaming until quitting time.

Mitch

I wonder about that, too. :lol

I know that in some primitive cultures, there are "medicine men" whose job descriptions include finding and taste-testing new and interesting things. E.G. Testing some really deadly poisonous plants will require a "new" medicine man to be brught in quickly. :lol: For the most part these guys would taste a tiny bit of it, and then wait a bit to see what the after-taste is like. They would operate on the principle that non-edible and poisonous plants are foul tasting, whilst good and beneficial plants taste wonderful-good. :hungry: In this way they discover that the tomato plant is poisonous but the fruit is quite good. They also discover that Poke-weed is edible as young shoots soon sprouted but deadly poisonous as full grown and/or with berries. Skunk cabbage in the spring is ok if it is cooked, but horribly bitter if eaten raw. :wink

• Members

Don't y'all know that turnips is a leafy green vegetable? :lol I never eat the roots - yuck!

I like to eat corn on the cob straight out of the field, just shuck the leaves off and chomp down on it raw! YUMMY! YUMMY! :hungry:

I like do that with field corn that is in the "milk" stage. It is quite good steamed, too. In fact I really think that is what is served in buffet restaurants as corn on the cob. They have these short sections of cobs soaking in a pan of butter and sugar water. It is easy to see that it is field corn. :lol::lol::lol:

IM4G, You would have liked my wife's garden (back in the late '70s when she had it). We had asparagus that were so good and succulent. We would go down to the garden in the early morning, snap them off at the base and (attempt to) bring them up to the house, but unfortunately, they never made it. :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool They got eaten along the way. :peek::lol: :java: The very same thing would happen with snap-peas. :lol

• Members

I always had problems with my maters never making it back to the house! I would go out at first light, early when the dew was still on them, and gather the red vine ripened maters up in my apron to take back to the kitchen for breakfast, but somehow I only managed to make it back with just one or two maters! I would stop by the hen house and put the hen fruit in my pockets, and when i got to the kitchen I had everything I needed to prepare a farm fresh breakfast of Hot Bisquits and gravy, Scrambled Eggs, and peeled and diced maters. I'd boil up a gallon of fresh brewed coffee and we had a meal fit for a king!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I plumb forgot about poke-salat! I would give a hundred dollars for a mess of poke-salad and a skillet of corn bread! :hungry:

Want that cornbread buttered ? At those prices I have cut down enough poke-salad in my life to retire very comfortably :lol: