• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Google Earth

• Members

I have had the free version of Google Earth for a year or two now, I use it map and find things, but I always complained that the off road stuff was fuzzy, well great news, if you now download the 2007 Edition or update to it you get to see your favorite fishin hole or camp ground.
And its all as clear as the cities, I don't know why but Las Vegas is zoomed in a whole lot more than other places.
Thats the 3rd reason I have a computer, 2nd is to upload my digital camera and 1st is to come here and hang with yall.

• Members

I love Google Earth! :thumb That program is so much fun -- especially now that we have a computer with the kind of "juice" to handle it. :lol

Using Google Earth I figured out that there are 1,898 miles between our house and my mom's house. On my treadmill I've already gone 1/10th of that distance (and I've only had the thing for 3 months -- the treadmill, that is).

My husband has used it to find all the volcanoes on Earth. It's sort of like traveling without having to pay for an airline ticket or sleep in strange hotels. :lol:

• Members

How old are the pictures? My friend showed me this a few months ago, and we could see our Sunday School bus in front of her house - though it had been a year or so since it was actually parked there.

• Members

I'm guessing that they aren't too long after Hurricane Katrina. I was looking at Biloxi, MS and the Biloxi Bridge is lying in pieces in the Gulf. When I went down there in March, the bridge was still out, but I don't think that they let the road lie there for too long after the storm.

But, then again, the Pass Christian (MS) Bridge has cars on it. When I was there the bridge was out, so those pictures might be from before the Hurricane.

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest

Yeah, I have Google Earth and it's nice to look at the aerial photos of places I lived and played when a child.

Interesting though, if you look up Jerusalem you'll see that the "Dome of the Rock" is drawn in like a cartoon picture. Maybe Google was afraid they would be blown up if they used the real picture. :lol

Wil

• Members

Venice, Italy, looks pretty cool on Google Earth. I was also amazed that our out-of-the-way, rural home showed up great. Living in wooded mountains as we do, we don't always realize what is less than a half-mile away from us, since visibility is limited by trees and ridges. My kids and I were amazed to see on Google Earth one evening that there is a sizable clearing less than .3 mile away from our back door. The next day, we set off to find it (which we did). Maybe we'll "camp out" overnight there sometime.

I think Google Earth is a fascinating educational tool for teaching kids U.S. and world geography...Forget the boring, one dimensional maps; let's go take a peek at the Sahara Desert, the Kremlin, and the Great Barrier Reef!

• Members
Yeah, I have Google Earth and it's nice to look at the aerial photos of places I lived and played when a child.

Interesting though, if you look up Jerusalem you'll see that the "Dome of the Rock" is drawn in like a cartoon picture. Maybe Google was afraid they would be blown up if they used the real picture. :lol

Wil

That might actually be true...especially because the time in which we live.

• Members

I think Google Earth is really neat but I find it a little disturbing. I saw on Drudge that they were so close that you could see people sitting on their balcony. They even captured that one woman with her underwear showing. :eek I am a little concerned about privacy. I'm afraid the government will decide to use it one day......you know, to spy on dangerous Christian fundamentalists. :wink

• Members

While both Google, what was featured on Drudge was not Google Earth per say. It might be available on Google Earth. What was on Drudge was a new feature on Google Maps were they take pictures of the route. Only worry there with me is they captured license plates. Not sure what can be done with a license plate number but seems poeple dont like seeing them on the internet. How it was done is, people drove around and took pictures as they went.

• 5 months later...