• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Prophecy Today

• Members

There is a member on another forum who is known for posting prophecies. So I was wondering if the gift of Prophecy is still in effect today. I have heard innumerable prophecies from self-proclaimed prophets, all which have failed. We all know that there are bundles of false prophets that have gone out into the world to deceive many. But are there truly any genuine prophets still around today? Has the gift of prophecy been done away with? Or are they all shams?

Love,
Madeline

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

"For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away." 1 Cor. 13:9-10

That which is perfect (the completed Word of God) came, so therefore the things that were 'in part', such as prophecy, were done away. The gift of prophecy passed away with the apostles.

• Members

The gift of prophecy was finished when the final book of the Bible was written:

Revelation 22:18-19 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

• Members

There is a member on another forum who is known for posting prophecies. So I was wondering if the gift of Prophecy is still in effect today. I have heard innumerable prophecies from self-proclaimed prophets, all which have failed. We all know that there are bundles of false prophets that have gone out into the world to deceive many. But are there truly any genuine prophets still around today? Has the gift of prophecy been done away with? Or are they all shams?

Love,
Madeline

Daniel's book wasn't to be "opened" to understanding until the "time of the end",

When Daniel's prophecies are combined with other prophecies, it complete the total picture of all prophecy which, in it's self, reveals a prophecy previously unknown.

The disciples ask Jesus when he would restore Israel, he said it wasn't for them to know, today, we do know.

Prophecy isn't "NEW REVELATIONS", but a revealing of the "OLD".

• Members

I have heard innumerable prophecies from self-proclaimed prophets, all which have failed. We all know that there are bundles of false prophets that have gone out into the world to deceive many.

I bet they don't preach much from Deuteronomy 18 then.

But are there truly any genuine prophets still around today? Has the gift of prophecy been done away with? Or are they all shams?

I've seen enough false ones to assume that all are false, even if it could be 'possible' today. Don't look for prophets, the King James has all you need.

• Members

1Co 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
1Co 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
1Co 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
1Co 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
1Co 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Two questions that strike me from this passage are these:
- Will we have perfect knowledge until Heaven, since any partial knowledge must pass away? Mark 13:32, 2 Peter 3:18, 1 John 3:2, Revelation 10:7
- What does "face to face" refer to?

2Co 12:12 Truly the signs of an apostle were wrought among you in all patience, in signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds.

Heb 2:3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;
Heb 2:4 God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?

We have to ask ourselves what the purpose of the sign gifts was, and whether that purpose has been fulfilled. I think Acts 2 and 1 Corinthians 14 support the view that the sign gifts were to authenticate the early ministry of the apostles, in the beginning of the Gospel. Also be careful to distinguish between "prophecy" and "prophesy." The latter simply refers to biblical teaching.

• Members

Greetings in Jesus Name

The gift of prophesy didn't pass away though the giving forth of Holy scripture did and so that matter is no longer part of the calling. From my estimation there are hundreds of false prophets for every child of God who has that gift and calling, and so the trend among believers is to dismiss all who claim to be prophets. Considering the ratio; chances are you will be right most of the time; however you will also be wrong all the time as regards the odd exception.

While attending a mid-week home Bible study in a rural area just over twenty five years ago, the Spirit of the Lord came upon yours truly, and I prophesied for close to two hours. It was like being on a time machine and streaking forward in time. Hundreds of things concerning the future were revealed, and everything has happened exactly according to what I was shown and reported.

I described two churches that wouldn't exist until over a decade later, and I have since been in both of them. You have no idea how strange it is to find yourself inside a building that you were once in 'before' it was built. I told of changes in society, and of evangelical movements that would arise. I spoke of specific, (As of then non-existing.) TV programs given to mocking the Christian faith.

I spoke of Jimmy Swaggart's fall from grace with some details including his tearful repentance. I foretold of Jim Bakker's disgrace, including details, and of his subsequent imprisonment, and I also spoke of the Robert Tilton scandal involving the unread letters being thrown in a dumpster. Most disturbing of all was a prophecy to the effect that WW 3 would start within a short space following the year 2000; with the short space being interpreted to mean three years.

Note: President GW Bush has publicly placed the start of WW 3 at 9/11, and the office of the Israeli Prime Minister has as well. (Strange isn't it that people in high places don't go out of their way to keep us informed about their plans for the world.) I am presently of the opinion that an US/Israeli strike on Iran will result in a nuclear strike against the US as Russia moves, in an attempt to invade Israel.

I mentioned Y2K (Remember this was back in 1982.) and I warned those present not to be taken in by the hysteria for nothing of consequence would transpire. I mentioned that some Christian ministries would be caught up in spreading a; 'the end is here' message concerning Y2K; and that, on the whole, they would fail to apologize for the undue panic that they helped to forward. Besides that they were many other things which have also come to pass precisely as seen.

Now either the gift of prophecy still exists or I must be Dr. Who.

Maranatha

• Members

From your website:

About twenty two years ago while attending a bible study the Lord Jesus opened up a door before me into the future and many detailed prophecies were delivered. Every single one has come to pass with 100% accuracy, except for one that has not come due as yet. That one is, World War 3 (The 2nd Seal - Red Horse) within a short space following the year 2000. The 'short space' was interpreted as meaning 3 years. I expect the New Age Occult Order (Rev. 13) to seize power under cover of this war. This is the thwarted Russian invasion of Israel where 5/6ths of their forces are destroyed. The 3rd Seal (famine) and the 4th Seal (death and hell) follow closely behind. Many things that you will read on this site will be controversial. I ask that you petition the Lord Jesus on all these matters before rejecting the warnings given herein. Your brother and servant in Christ Jesus.
MARANATHA

You say WW3 started 9/11/2001, and was the second seal, meaning we've been in the tribulation period for nearly six years now. This is obviously nowhere near true. Was the second seal business part of the vision too?

• Members

Greetings in Jesus Name

Dear Samer, The placing of all the seals into the last seven years (And calling the whole seven years tribulation whereas the Lord only designated the period following mid-week as such.) is simply a matter of pre-trib speculation. There is no scripture which maintains that the first seals are found within the last seven years. According to my understanding the first seal was the grand ecumenical deception under Pope John Paul II which caused a great falling away through that interfaith religious wickedness.

I didn't expect the second seal to last as long as it has, but I believe the rider started out back at 9/11. I am expecting a nuclear war involving the US and Russia and Israel. There are people in high places who want this to happen for they believe it is necessary in order to cause enough chaos to facilitate the successful ushering in of their antichrist global government system. A terrified and desperate world will accept their totalitarianism in place of total anarchy and gross economic depression.

With the main instigator, Skull and Bones, Illuminati, GW Bush posing as a Christian I suspect that Christians will be blamed for the carnage. That type of nefarious scheme certainly worked for Nero. And I suspect that the world will be delighted to use believers as the scapegoats to pass on the blame for the misery that goes with the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th seal. We are presently being set up to take the heat for the coming global catastrophe, and note that the 5th seal has to do with Christian martyrs.

I suspect that we will be in the first half of the last seven years by the 5th seal. The trumps begin I believe, in about, or just after the 5th seal with the vials of wrath starting near the end of the trumps so that there will be an overlapping of seals, trumps, and vials; with the trumps starting about mid-week with both seals and vials all converging to end with the last trump which is the resurrection of the just and the Lord's glorious return. Here is an article I wrote that gives a more detailed picture which compares Matthew 24 to the events in Revelation.

[/list:u] Maranatha

Understanding End Time Prophecy

• Members

Now either the gift of prophecy still exists or I must be Dr. Who.

Well, welcome Dr. Who...

On this board, we believe the signs gifts listed in 1 Corinthians 12 are done away, fulfilled. God is not giving any new revelation or prophecies today.

• Members

Well, welcome Dr. Who...

On this board, we believe the signs gifts listed in 1 Corinthians 12 are done away, fulfilled. God is not giving any new revelation or prophecies today.

I think Satan is involved whenever present-day "prophets" think they can fortell the future.

Welcome to OB, Dr. Who! :wave:

• Members

Praise the Lord!

Considering the number of fake faith healers, and the number of false apostles and false prophets running about, I am somewhat reluctant to establish from scripture the truth concerning the gifts of the Holy Spirit, and especially so when I see the numbers of cults springing up around supernatural phenomena while the word of God is ignored or neglected in the process.

Cessationism as concerns scripture is indeed true; however no one has presented any 'in context' use of scripture to prove that the Lord would remove any of the gifts of the Holy Spirit from the Church. Indeed the idea is fraught with problems for therein believers are inanely found maintaining that the gifts concerning wisdom and knowledge have also passed away. God forbid!

[/list:u] Maranatha

• See:
Dazed and Confused!

• Members

So was part of this vision that eternal security is wicked, or is that bit on your site just extra?

Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

• Members

Greetings in Jesus Name

Dear Samer, Eternal security is 'in' Christ; and not something that is found apart from Him. The saints are indeed secure in Christ; for through Him they have an eternal inheritance. What is being taught however under the misnomer 'eternal security' is basically; that saints can follow after wickedness, and still end up partakers of the kingdom of God.

The devil authored that inane wickedness, and many have fallen away due to such. God's grace delivers from sin, and makes ready a people prepared for His kingdom of righteousness; and the Holy Spirit most definitely does not teach that the 'broad road' leads to everlasting blessedness.

Titus 2:11-14 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Matthew 24:45-51 Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season? Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing. Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods. But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken; The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of, And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Maranatha

• Members

Those who "fall away" never truly repented in the first place. "But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak."

In any case, was conditional security part of the revelation? :)