• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

9 years ago today

• Administrators

Well, have a wondrously happy anniversary! I am so glad your hubby is able to be home with you on this day! Your wedding may have been "messed up," but what wonderful memories you have...I'm sure things horrified you on the day, but now isn't it grand to be able to laugh at those things?

Our marriage started out on a rough note (a pastor tried to killy my hubby the day before we got married - really and truly - it took 4 people to pull him off!). But 23 years later, we are still going. I know several people who were married in the same couple of months period that we were, and those marriages are over. I'm so thankful I have a hubby who loves the Lord, and that we determined from day 1 that we would work through any problems that came up.

Again: HAPPY, HAPPY Anniversary!!!! :clap:

• Members

Linda and I got married in her father & mother's living room. I don't believe there was even $100.00 dollars spent on it. Everyone had to stand up and it was pretty crowded and only family members were present.

The Baptist pastor who married us, it was his and our 1st marriage, it was simple, you know, the vows till death do you part and the "I do's."

Where in the world does people spending so much money on weddings come from? Seems those expensive wedding do not last long and is more about showing off to everyone the material worth of a family & or families.

Most of the men and women that have just gotten married needs that money after the wedding to set up a home, to me its stupid to waste money in such a wasteful manner. That is my story, my humble opinion and I'm going to stick to it.

Spending lots of money on a wedding does not prove love, what proves love is to have a long everlasting marriage.

• Members
Linda and I got married in her father & mother's living room. I don't believe there was even $100.00 dollars spent on it. Everyone had to stand up and it was pretty crowded and only family members were present.

The Baptist pastor who married us, it was his and our 1st marriage, it was simple, you know, the vows till death do you part and the "I do's."

Where in the world does people spending so much money on weddings come from? Seems those expensive wedding do not last long and is more about showing off to everyone the material worth of a family & or families.

Most of the men and women that have just gotten married needs that money after the wedding to set up a home, to me its stupid to waste money in such a wasteful manner. That is my story, my humble opinion and I'm going to stick to it.

Spending lots of money on a wedding does not prove love, what proves love is to have a long everlasting marriage.

Tradition. My parents had a big, traditional honkie wedding in 1985. They're still happily married. I wouldn't call it stupid. People can spend their money how they want.

• Members

I agree Mr.Jerry!!
While there is nothing wrong w/ a pretty wedding cermony, I too think that overly lavish weddings are just untasteful. I would much prefer seeing that money being spent on setting up housekeeping.
I have 3 daughters and 1 son. I am willing to give each of my daughters a small, tasteful wedding that is hopefully a bit nicer than mine. However, I am not willing to go into debt for it!

• Members

Congratulations on your anniversary and being able to spend this one together!!! :clap:

Our anniversary is next month. Our wedding was very tiny and inexpensive. We were married by a Justice of the Peace in Arkansas with just him, us and a guy I didn't even know that well who served as our witness...I called him my best man. :Green

Thankfully, the Justice of the Peace actually conducted a Christian, Christ honouring service, complete with the use of Jesus' name. :thumb

• Members
I agree Mr.Jerry!!
While there is nothing wrong w/ a pretty wedding cermony, I too think that overly lavish weddings are just untasteful. I would much prefer seeing that money being spent on setting up housekeeping.
I have 3 daughters and 1 son. I am willing to give each of my daughters a small, tasteful wedding that is hopefully a bit nicer than mine. However, I am not willing to go into debt for it!

Amen, but some think, unless much money is spent, there is no love.

If one's got money to splurge, it sure would go to better use & cause spent on the Lords work than being selfish and spending (wasting) it on a huge celebration or wedding.

I realize that in feeling this way that I'm usually in the minority, but that's OK, I'm getting use to it.

• Members

Amen, but some think, unless much money is spent, there is no love.

If one's got money to splurge, it sure would go to better use & cause spent on the Lords work than being selfish and spending (wasting) it on a huge celebration or wedding.

I realize that in feeling this way that I'm usually in the minority, but that's OK, I'm getting use to it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with spending money to make the day special. It is up to the bride and groom to manage their money how they see fit for their own wedding.

My hubby and I have been married almost a year! April 5th will be our 1 year anniversary. Our wedding was small and we worked hard to keep the cost to a minimum while still making it a special and beautiful day to remember. It was a perfect day that I will never forget as long as I live. It was the only day in my life so far that was perfect--nothing went wrong and there is nothing in my mind but bliss when I think of it.

We know a couple that was married the week after us and then we attended our best man's wedding 2 weekends after ours. All 3 of us couples are doing really well. We encourage one another in the way and we all really just want the Lord Jesus to be the center of our marriages.

• Members

So your saying the day Linda and I got married was not special because much money was not spent?

No, I'm not really suggesting your saying that, the point is much money does not have to be spent to make something special.

Of course, it all depends on where our heart's at. Or what is most important to us.

• Members
So your saying the day Linda and I got married was not special because much money was not spent?

No, I'm not really suggesting your saying that, the point is much money does not have to be spent to make something special.

Of course, it all depends on where our heart's at. Or what is most important to us.

LOL nothing could be further from what I was thinking when I wrote what I did. I was merely saying we shouldn't lump everyone into the same category. Some people spend more than others on their wedding, does that make them wrong or gaudy? No, nor does it make the people who spend less cheap or not in love.

• Members

Congratulations OKJac80. Our wedding was small. I have no idea what was spent, as we did not have very much to spend. Our church house is very small (we have 4 pews lol) so we borrowed a building that friends go to. Still a small building, but was nowhere near full. The only real glitch to the day was that my bride went outside to go to a house next door that a friend of mine lived in. At about the same time I went to take something out to my parents van. I did not see her, but she had to dive behind something. I know that if I had seen her it would not have changed a thing, just one of those traditions, lol.
As for how much money is spent. From my understanding the well to do jewish weddings could last for several days. The guests, not just those "in the wedding" were supplied a wedding garment (see Matthew 22 esp verses 11 and 12). Talk about expensive, lol. Now does that mean that it takes such to make a good marriage, not at all. We who cannot afford a fancy wedding should not go into debt to have one!!! It does not take such for us to have a great marriage. It takes love, and respect for one another and for God. But for those who do have the money, there is nothing wrong with them spending it. If they tried to live the same way we do, the econimy would come to a crashing halt. I would be out of a job because no new homes would be built. You see, we as a society need those who have money to spend it so that those of us who do not (which I am thankful to God for what I have and realize there are many with much less than I) can have Jobs feeling there desires. A fancy wedding, if able to be payed for, would be a wonderful thing. Just think of the wonderful wedding we can look forward to when Jesus calls us home. I feel sure that the fanciest wedding on this earth will look like a bunch of hillbillies running around confused in comparison!!!

• Members
Congratulations OKJac80. Our wedding was small. I have no idea what was spent, as we did not have very much to spend. Our church house is very small (we have 4 pews lol) so we borrowed a building that friends go to. Still a small building, but was nowhere near full. The only real glitch to the day was that my bride went outside to go to a house next door that a friend of mine lived in. At about the same time I went to take something out to my parents van. I did not see her, but she had to dive behind something. I know that if I had seen her it would not have changed a thing, just one of those traditions, lol.
As for how much money is spent. From my understanding the well to do jewish weddings could last for several days. The guests, not just those "in the wedding" were supplied a wedding garment (see Matthew 22 esp verses 11 and 12). Talk about expensive, lol. Now does that mean that it takes such to make a good marriage, not at all. We who cannot afford a fancy wedding should not go into debt to have one!!! It does not take such for us to have a great marriage. It takes love, and respect for one another and for God. But for those who do have the money, there is nothing wrong with them spending it. If they tried to live the same way we do, the econimy would come to a crashing halt. I would be out of a job because no new homes would be built. You see, we as a society need those who have money to spend it so that those of us who do not (which I am thankful to God for what I have and realize there are many with much less than I) can have Jobs feeling there desires. A fancy wedding, if able to be payed for, would be a wonderful thing. Just think of the wonderful wedding we can look forward to when Jesus calls us home. I feel sure that the fanciest wedding on this earth will look like a bunch of hillbillies running around confused in comparison!!!

Good post!

• Members

I am sorry. I didn't mean to start a debate about how much should be spent on a wedding.
I just always look back and laugh at ours because it was so messed up. I wasn't saying not spend a lot,etc. There is a middle road on everything.
I guess it was a senseless post anyway.
going to delete it.
sorry ya'll

• Members

Aww, I like this topic. It's neat to hear everyone's stories of their wedding day experiences! I suppose I should'nt have responded to the whole money comment..lol, sometimes it's better to just let things alone than give someone the satisfaction of seeing a debate start. Sorry about that.