• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

If you could read Hebrew and Greek

• Members

Would you ever choose to read your Bible this way? Surely your understanding would be better if you could read straight from where the KJV was translated from right? I am asking b/c i may have a chance here shortly to study one or both of the languages and am thinking it would be a blessing to be able to read straight from the originals. What do you guys think?

• Members

Would you ever choose to read your Bible this way? Surely your understanding would be better if you could read straight from where the KJV was translated from right? I am asking b/c i may have a chance here shortly to study one or both of the languages and am thinking it would be a blessing to be able to read straight from the originals. What do you guys think?

I'm looking into studying Greek just for this purpose.

• Members

Greek is hard! I took it for one year in high school and by the end of the year I was SO regretting it and decided I was very thankful for the KJV. haha. In Greek, there can be over 60 different tenses of ONE verb!!!! This is why, however, it is good to sometimes look back to the Greek because one verb might have 60 different forms whereas the English may only have 6-8 forms. So the translators would have to choose the closest one.

• Members

My husband, a preacher, took a couple of years of Greek in college. His education will come in handy when it's time for our kids to take some basic Greek courses in junior high. (Maybe I can learn it then, too! :smile ) IMO, it would be nice to be able to read through the Greek New Testament...however, I think we'd be hard-pressed to acquire the actual manuscripts used to translate the KJV New Testament.

In the meantime, I'm thankful for Strong's Concordance and other language helps!

• Members

When I was in Bible college some of the guys took enough Greek (3+ years) to be able to do this and they really enjoyed it. They followed along in their Greek N.T. in church.

This is what i was thinking about! You can get that understanding needed for words that do not translate as well.

Guest Guest

Stick with the KJB, it's perfect, it interprets itself, and it's in English. No need whatsoever for Greek and Hebrew. It would be a waste of time to learn.

Katy-Anne

• Members

Stick with the KJB, it's perfect, it interprets itself, and it's in English. No need whatsoever for Greek and Hebrew. It would be a waste of time to learn.

Katy-Anne

Its never a waste of time to learn something new. Jesus spoke Greek, it can't be all bad. Do we have to go here do this again?

• Members

You'll need lots of persistence and dedication. :lol Are you taking a class or doing self study?

• Members

If there are 60 or so meanings for one word, it looks to me like it would
give rise to different oppinions than to draw together as one. Even if it is
tenses not real meanings, it would cause some trouble. We went to a
seniors camp once and our preacher read from the Greek Bible, but he was
a teacher at Dallas Baptisit Seminary. He read it just as the KJV read, so what
is the blessing?

• Members

If there are 60 or so meanings for one word, it looks to me like it would
give rise to different oppinions than to draw together as one. Even if it is
tenses not real meanings, it would cause some trouble. We went to a
seniors camp once and our preacher read from the Greek Bible, but he was
a teacher at Dallas Baptisit Seminary. He read it just as the KJV read, so what
is the blessing?

Not really 60 "meanings" but tenses.... in Greek, the words are not only past, present, future, singular, and plural, but each of those also has a feminine, masculine, or neuter gender with them.