• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why Calvinism cannot be true

Guest Guest

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Here are the notes from the message my pastor preached about election on Wednesday night. It was the most easily understood message on the subject that I have ever head and it shows clearly why Calvinism is false doctrine.

If you want to hear the entire message, it will be up soon on the website (I don't know how soon, my husband is going to maintain the website but the website isn't finished yet). It will probably just be titled 1 Thessalonians 1:2-4. It will be one of the very first messages there, as it was our second ever Wednesday night service on Wednesday so there aren't too many archives haha.

http://www.heritagebapt.com/

Heritage Baptist Church, Picayune MS.
Pastor Jeremy Wilson

1 Thessalonians 1:2-4.
The word election is used in the Bible 6 times.
The word elect is used 17 times in the Bible.
The word elected is only used once in the whole Bible.
In all three forms, never once in the Bible does the word refer to an individual, it always refers to one of three groups: Jesus Christ, Israel, or the church.
Notice in 1 Thessalonians 1:4 that the word "brethren" is plural.
The law of first mention. Isaiah 42:1-4 is the first mention of election in the Bible, and it is referring to Christ here.
Never once in the Bible does election refer to Salvation.
Matthew 12:18 - here is a Biblical definition (use Scripture to interpret Scripture) of elect. God's elect is His chosen, His beloved, in whom His soul is well pleased.
Isaiah 45:4
Isaiah 65:9,22
God chose Israel, but not all of Israel was saved, election is not for salvation.
Matthew 24:22,24,30. Matthew 24 is dealing with Israel.
Romans 11:25-28
1 Peter 5:13
Dealing with the church.
2 Peter 1:10
Romans 8:33
Colossians 3:12 this is talking about us as the church AFTER salvation.
Titus 1:1
2 John 1,13
We are elected BECAUSE we were born-again into the church of Jesus Christ, not elected TO be born again.
The word "sovereignty" which is big on the Calvinism word-list, is not actually used in the Bible.
Election has nothing to do with salvation.
The word predestined/predestinated shows up four times in Scripture, and those times are in Ephesians 1:3-5,11 and Romans 8:28-30. This tells us that we were predestined to adoption, and to receive an inheritance, it has nothing to do with salvation. We can only be adopted BECAUSE we are saved.
Romans 8:28-30
We were predestinated to be conformed to the image of Christ.
These two passages show us that after we get saved, we are predestinated to three things (none of them being salvation): adoption, to receive and inheritance, and to be conformed to Christ.

I hope this is as useful to somebody else as it was to me. Bro Jeremy has much wisdom!

Katy-Anne

Tell your Pastor I believe he has got it right and praise the Lord for his in depth study of this issue from the Word of God!

• Members

Even if you believe that God foresaw who would be saved in Romans 8:29, and then predestinated them to salvation He foreknew them in eternity past He predestinated them in eternity past.
Lost people are not predestined to be saved according to Romans 8:29-30. Saved people (those who are saved) are predestined to glorification. The context of Romans chapter eight is sanctification. The ultimate sanctification is glorification.

• Members

God knew from all eternity those who would trust in the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation. He ordained salvation to be only through faith in His Son - all those whom He knew would be saved in that area believed. Even if someone disagrees with what I think that verse means - it certainly doesn't mean God sovereignly chose some people to be saved apart from their own choice in the matter, as that conclusion would contradict many clear passages of Scripture.