• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

need suggestions for Bible curriculum

• Members

Hi. I am pulling together the books I will be using for my children's homeschooling (first year for us.) I will have a 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th grader. I would like a Bible program that would span those grades without needing separate classes. Do any of you have any good recommendations for any programs?

Thanks,
jennifer

• 1 month later...
Hi. I am pulling together the books I will be using for my children's homeschooling (first year for us.) I will have a 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th grader. I would like a Bible program that would span those grades without needing separate classes. Do any of you have any good recommendations for any programs?

Thanks,
jennifer

Hello Jennifer

Why not go through the Bible chronolically? We use the 12 family devotion books from Clarence Sexton's publishing house in Tennessee. The memory verses are short, but we just adjust for the age.

Jennifer

I actually have a book on Proverbs called Wellsprings of Life that has the proverbs listed topically. We've been enjoying that. Our next course will be Ecclessiastes. After that' date=' who knows. I have lots of time to decide.[/quote']

That sounds great! I'll have to look into that book.

I want to incorporate topical studies into our daily studies, too. I just printed all the scriptures including diligent/diligence, sluggard and slothful so I can do a study for myself!

:ooops

• Members

We use the Alpha-Omega Lifepacs Bible curriculum.

I also add other things as well. Right now, our oldest son and I are going through the book, "Boyhood and Beyond". Next, we will be doing another book by the same author on the subject of work.

As well, my oldest son reads a daily devotional and writes the Scripture reference and writes about what he learned from the devotion that day and how he can put it into practice.

We have done studies in the past on various aspects of charactor, the commandments, what is expected of children and parents, etc.

We use the Alpha-Omega Lifepacs Bible curriculum.

I also add other things as well. Right now, our oldest son and I are going through the book, "Boyhood and Beyond". Next, we will be doing another book by the same author on the subject of work.

As well, my oldest son reads a daily devotional and writes the Scripture reference and writes about what he learned from the devotion that day and how he can put it into practice.

We have done studies in the past on various aspects of charactor, the commandments, what is expected of children and parents, etc.

I've considered using the Bible curriculum from Landmark Freedom Baptist - one of the gals from my old church is switching from the A Beka DVD (after many, many years and three children) to LFB. I'm not a fan of their methods, but I might go for a workbook my daughter could utilize outside of our family devotions. I want her to develop independent Bible study habits.

Jen

BTW - John, were you able to access the site? There are a lot of photos and graphics, which may be part of the problem for you. I've had about 30 views of the main page since last night, so it's definitely up and running.

• Members

I still get the same error message. I've never got that message before and I've been visiting many sites today. I have no idea why I can't view the site. I even tried searching through Yahoo and using their link but I got the same error message. :sad

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Bump.

We are as well homeschooling.

Our quandary is what curriculum to use?!?!??! Theres a veritable S E A of curriculum available UGGH.

Church uses ACE, we received a recommendation for Class and Veritas Press (although they are a little pricey).

How do you choose what curriculum to use. UGGGHHH :frog :frog :giveup: :giveup:

Church uses ACE, we received a recommendation for Class and Veritas Press (although they are a little pricey).

Don't give up! It's important for you to figure out your educational philosophy - CLASS and Veritas Press have two different foundational approaches - and the approach DOES matter! We started out two years ago with the ABeka DVD program, then switched to Sonlight, then did it on our own and now we are using a variety of "methods" and materials.

Confusing? You bet! :)

So here's what I've figured out - each method has strengths and weaknesses. It is so important to do what (a) works with your child and (B) works for the teacher.

As much as I like and admire the IDEA of the Charlotte Mason approach, I am just not disciplined enough to do it successfully. I really like the Classical approach - but I'm the only one in the house (meaning not my husband) who has any interest in Greek and Latin and other foundational aspects of the Classical method. Bluntly stated - there are other influences in the home that would undermine my best efforts in applying the Classical method.

So where does that leave us?

Well, to start - visit the library and borrow Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks for Homeschool. You can also buy it - Amazon has a good price. If you want a good intro to the many methods and publishers, Mary Pride's Complete Guide to Getting Started in Homeschooling is very helpful. My copy of this book is pretty beat up, as is my copy of 100 Top Picks. I refer back to both quite often. Cathy Duffy's Website - http://www.cathyduffyreviews.com is a great place for honest reviews - positive and negative - of the many resources available to home educators.

The most important thing to remember is that no one program or approach is "the best" or the "right way." I've read on this board that ABeka's reading program, for example, is "the best." While it certainly has merit and may work wonderfully for many, if not most children, there are certainly children who will respond better to other approaches or materials. Don't EVER feel guilty or condemned for your choice of education method or materials. EVER! It's easy - and I've been quite guilty of this - to feel "superior" about your choices or methods... "we only use living books..." "well, my child is learning Chinese this year..." "I wouldn't dare let my child read that book..." or, to feel condemned by the choices other make. Do your very best to resist both of these destructive traps!

If you would like my honest opinions on any of the materials/publishers mentioned, please email me through the board. This is my first post in a very long time because I cannot stand the contention that inevitably occurs when people disagree with a post. I hesitate to post opinions - even those based on experience - because the back-and-forth can be so tiresome! :)

Jennifer

• Members
Bump.

We are as well homeschooling.

Our quandary is what curriculum to use?!?!??! Theres a veritable S E A of curriculum available UGGH.

I am scouring stuff right now because it turns out I don't have enough time to use the A Beka curriculum for history and science. I like it for language arts and math.

so, I've scoured and come to the conclusion that I'm using the Mystery of History next year for the 3 older girls, and Apolgia science for them as well. From my reading and asking around, I think we will love those two. Plus, I've recently run across Spelling Power which I'm going to use with the 3 girls as well.

So far, it's trial and error.