• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

I need dairy free recipes that will feed 4 always

• Members

hungry kidlets. I make a huge pot of beans with a big pan of cornbread, and whoosh! It's gone in a flash with kids still wanting more.

I make a HUGE salad with meat, eggs, veggies, fruits--anything you could possibly think to put in a salad and whoosh! It's gone with them still asking for more.

I make all kinds of good stuff and it's like they are bottomless pits. What shall I do when they are teens?(Get a second mortgage on the house to pay for their food?)

So, if you have any super-good, extra-filling, dairy free recipes, please share them with me.

• Members

In Belize they make many native dishes that are economical and YUMMY! Beans and Rice are YUMMY as are the other dish of Rice and Beans YUMMY! It makes a big giant potful and none of it goes to waste! My teenagers enjoy it. It is very nutritious and healthy too.

I buy coconut milk in cans at the Save A Lot Store in the Mexican Foods aisle for about $1 can. I can buy a 10 lb sack of rice for $5 and a huge sack of beans for $2. If you want to go full out Caribbean serve it up with a big bowl of Coleslaw made from a head of cabbage.

http://www.belizenorth.com/belizean_recipes_text.htm

• Members
you can subsitute rice' date=' almond, potato or soy for the milk. some brands are better then others. their are 3 of soy that are dreadful and 3 I know of that are pretty good. my fAV is Silk.[/quote']

I like the Very Vanilla Silk.

...as it says on the top of the box::::

"Shake well, buy often"

It tastes like melted vanilla ice cream. :clap::clap: :clap:

• Members

Do you have a place you can plant garden. My parents did this and they raised 7 kids completely out of the garden from early May until late December. When kids help in the garden all day long they appreciate the value of food. Especially do they value the benefit of growing it and producing it themselves. It greatly enhances their feeling of contributing to the general cause. It never even occurred to my parents to feed us kids without us contributing to it. We kids were in that garden from the time we were 3 or 4 years old. :lol

• Members

Here's a dairy free recipe that will always feed 4. It's a Mexican dish called Picadillo.

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 lb lean ground beef
1/2 lb ground pork
salt to taste
black pepper to taste
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup Red wine vinegar
2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup dark raisins
1 sweet red pepper, cut into strips

In a large deep skillet heat the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, until they are soft and golden, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the beef, pork, salt, pepper and cumin. Mix well. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until meat is well browned. Add the bay leaf, red wine vinegar, tomatoes and raisins. Mix well and cover the skillet. Simmer the mixture over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. If the mixture is too wet, remove the cover and continue cooking. Stir in the red pepper strips and cook 2 minutes longer. Serve over rice or use the mixture to fill taco shells.

Love,
Madeline

• Members

oh, it's hard! But, the baby is 8 1/2 months now, so weaning is just around the corner. Then I can have all the dairy I want. She, however, will wait until she's 18 months to try it. I hope she'll get over this sensitivity she has.

No cheese, no butter, no milk, no homemade cookies, no cake.

• Members

My son has a milk sensitivity as well. At first, we thought it was hard. We couldn't do soy milk beause of his soy allergy. The taste of rice milk was one we couldn't stand. We just substituted water for milk. Then we saw a new dairy substitute - DariFree. We now use this in all of our cooking that requires milk. It is a powder that you mix with water. It tastes good and is wonderful in baking.
http://www.vancesfoods.com Here is their website.

• Members

is that the potato milk?

My son has a milk sensitivity as well. At first, we thought it was hard. We couldn't do soy milk beause of his soy allergy. The taste of rice milk was one we couldn't stand. We just substituted water for milk. Then we saw a new dairy substitute - DariFree. We now use this in all of our cooking that requires milk. It is a powder that you mix with water. It tastes good and is wonderful in baking.
http://www.vancesfoods.com Here is their website.