• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do you fast?

• Members
To fast correctly, the first thing to emphasise is that one should never ever let other people know they are fasting (cf. Matt.6:1-18).

Actually, it is quite beneficial to me for my husband to let me know when he is fasting. That way I don't plan meals around him.

I personally do not fast. I am hypoglycemic in the extreme and even missing that stupid snack at my 2 hour interval knocks me out for the rest of the day.

I am grateful that Psalm 103:14 For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust.

• Members

The point of Scripture isn't that we can't let anyone know we are fasting; the point is not to fast in a way that draws attention to yourself.

There were (and still are) those who would go about looking haggard and deprived in order to make it obvious they were fasting in an effort to make them appear more spiritual or holy.

Scripture says we are not to do this. Rather, we are to wash our face and carry ourselves in a normal manner.

Of course, for the most part there is no need to tell your co-worker, your friends, the guy at the gas station or even your pastor when you are fasting. However, there is nothing wrong with informing your spouse you will be fasting for a given period of time so they can plan their meals and activities accordingly. And, just because our spouse may know we are fasting, we are still to carry ourselves in a proper manner, not walking around rubbing our bellies with a pitiful look on our faces!

The point of a fast isn't to starve ourselves. The point of a fast is to deny our flesh for a period of time as we give extra time and attention to specific prayer.

If we fast for an entire day but still sit at the table at mealtime or watch TV while everyone else is eating, we are missing the point. The time we would have spent in eating is to be devoted to specific prayer and quiet time with the Lord.

• Members
The point of Scripture isn't that we can't let anyone know we are fasting; the point is not to fast in a way that draws attention to yourself.

There were (and still are) those who would go about looking haggard and deprived in order to make it obvious they were fasting in an effort to make them appear more spiritual or holy.

Scripture says we are not to do this. Rather, we are to wash our face and carry ourselves in a normal manner.

Of course, for the most part there is no need to tell your co-worker, your friends, the guy at the gas station or even your pastor when you are fasting. However, there is nothing wrong with informing your spouse you will be fasting for a given period of time so they can plan their meals and activities accordingly. And, just because our spouse may know we are fasting, we are still to carry ourselves in a proper manner, not walking around rubbing our bellies with a pitiful look on our faces!

The point of a fast isn't to starve ourselves. The point of a fast is to deny our flesh for a period of time as we give extra time and attention to specific prayer.

If we fast for an entire day but still sit at the table at mealtime or watch TV while everyone else is eating, we are missing the point. The time we would have spent in eating is to be devoted to specific prayer and quiet time with the Lord.

:goodpost::clap: :clap: :clap: :goodpost:

• Members

I used to get headaches when I fasted, but in my experience, it was more a symptom of withdrawal from food. :cooldude:

We get so comfortable in our flesh, eating and drinking whatever we want, whenever we want that once we change a little, our flesh pitches a fit. Now that I've fasted more often, God's given strength. My body will still whine a little. But that's one of the points of fasting: to make the flesh weaker so the spiritual can become stronger. For this reason, during fasting, meal time in particular should be replaced with prayer time and focusing on God's mercy and grace.

Also (I'm not questioning any previous posters at all, trust me) I will add that our society has become so physically (fleshly) oriented that there are now so many diseases, conditions, disabilities, and medical issues that anyone can "get out of" many types of Christian duties. :2cents

• Members
I used to get headaches when I fasted, but in my experience, it was more a symptom of withdrawal from food. :cooldude:

We get so comfortable in our flesh, eating and drinking whatever we want, whenever we want that once we change a little, our flesh pitches a fit. Now that I've fasted more often, God's given strength. My body will still whine a little. But that's one of the points of fasting: to make the flesh weaker so the spiritual can become stronger. For this reason, during fasting, meal time in particular should be replaced with prayer time and focusing on God's mercy and grace.

Also (I'm not questioning any previous posters at all, trust me) I will add that our society has become so physically (fleshly) oriented that there are now so many diseases, conditions, disabilities, and medical issues that anyone can "get out of" many types of Christian duties. :2cents

Excellent post! :amen:

• Members

I voted YES - I have fasted for up to two weeks, never any longer than that, though.

And often, though I don't believe in announcing the fast to everybody, either. Sometimes you have to tell others to get them to stop trying to feed you.

That series was excellent, btw, off to search again for it.

• 2 weeks later...