• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Age difference

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

As I've gotten older I personnally believe women are better off marrying a man older than them.Meaning 8-10 years! :hide I cann't quote scripture for this so please know this is only my opinon: Older men are usually more grounded in the Lord so they understand their leadership role and how to treat you kindly in teaching you submission to their authority, they are settled with finishing their education and are usually secure in themselves about providing for a family, they tend to be more attentive fathers because they understand what is important in life and they just simply have wisdom of years that makes a women feel secure that they have a handle on things. Of course there are immature older men as well but I'm talking about a man that's been growing in Christ all those extra years and seeking the Lord for his wife. pixiedust

• Members
The official "Ick Factor" equation works like this...

(His age/2)+7 <= Her age

So based on that, 29/2 = 14.5. 14.5+7=21.5. You are inside the "Ick Factor".

But there are other factors, and people above have mentioned.

Ha... That's kinda funny.

• Members
As I've gotten older I personnally believe women are better off marrying a man older than them.Meaning 8-10 years! :hide I cann't quote scripture for this so please know this is only my opinon: Older men are usually more grounded in the Lord so they understand their leadership role and how to treat you kindly in teaching you submission to their authority' date=' they are settled with finishing their education and are usually secure in themselves about providing for a family, they tend to be more attentive fathers because they understand what is important in life and they just simply have wisdom of years that makes a women feel secure that they have a handle on things. Of course there are immature older men as well but I'm talking about a man that's been growing in Christ all those extra years and seeking the Lord for his wife. pixiedust[/quote']

In times past it was rather common for such to occur. It was actually considered a more safe and secure arrangement for a young woman to marry an older, established man.

• Members
I could never back this with scrpture but John it was nice to know someone understood . Curious.as a man' date=' what do you think?[/quote']

About older men and younger women marrying? It doesn't bother me at all.

There is a big difference between couples like this marrying and some old guy perv who trolls around looking for young girls to take advantage of.

Typically, I usually had younger girls after me all the time. I dated a few but the woman I married is actually almost a year older than me.

I have a cousin who was in his 20s when he married his 16 or 17 year old girlfriend. They are still married and have had a wonderful marriage.

John here's the funny thing I was shocked "old men perv's" That had never crossed my mind! I'm thinking of only a man well known in the local church.

• Members
John here's the funny thing I was shocked "old men perv's" That had never crossed my mind! I'm thinking of only a man well known in the local church.

Yes, I know what you are speaking of it's just that many others seem to think any time an older man and younger woman get together there is something perverted about it, which is why I mentioned the fact there is a difference.

One would hope that a good Christian man marrying a younger Christian woman would be doing so because the Lord brought them together.

Even less than a century ago this was common practice. Somehow modern society decided this was wrong and much social pressure was brought to bear making it rather taboo. Interestingly, older women who marry younger men don't tend to come under the same scrutiny.

Part of the problem today is that young men and young women are now viewed as still being children. This often carries over into their 20s. American popular culture is all about youth and childishness and being that way for as long as you can get away with it. Most children, youth and young men and women these days are not taught to be prepared for marriage and real life. This adds to the many problems.

Those are things I hadn't thought about. That's why the Lord has men in charge because you see things in ways I would have never even thought about! pixiedust :hide

• Members

Yes, I know what you are speaking of it's just that many others seem to think any time an older man and younger woman get together there is something perverted about it, which is why I mentioned the fact there is a difference.

One would hope that a good Christian man marrying a younger Christian woman would be doing so because the Lord brought them together.

Even less than a century ago this was common practice. Somehow modern society decided this was wrong and much social pressure was brought to bear making it rather taboo. Interestingly, older women who marry younger men don't tend to come under the same scrutiny.

Part of the problem today is that young men and young women are now viewed as still being children. This often carries over into their 20s. American popular culture is all about youth and childishness and being that way for as long as you can get away with it. Most children, youth and young men and women these days are not taught to be prepared for marriage and real life. This adds to the many problems.

"much social pressure was brought to bear making it rather taboo"

John,
This might be an interesting side to explore. I wonder what brought society to this conclusion?

Others,
Oh, my wife and I are the same age.

• Members

"much social pressure was brought to bear making it rather taboo"

John,
This might be an interesting side to explore. I wonder what brought society to this conclusion?

Others,
Oh, my wife and I are the same age.

Yes, such would be interesting to explore. Over the past century or so a great many things have drastically changed from what they had been for centuries. Consider the myriad of changes brought about by the radical feminist movement; which no doubt played a part in the topic at hand.

Look at the vast changes in Christianity in America. Much of this involved humanism, of which the radical feminist movement was/is a part.