• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

I am all about submission, but oh my word!!!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
24 He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Prov 13:24 (KJV)

I don't think the Bible makes any such comment about the husband sparing the use of the rod on his wife.

Yeah, but in the OT women were like property. Look at Exodus 20:17.

• Members

First, I totally agree with the idea that there is no biblical basis for a husband to spank his wife. I am aware of no Scripture that either mandates or suggests such a practice.

That said...As far as I know, there is neither any Scripture which speaks out against the practice.

Sooo...I don't think we can say that these couples are sinning or acting unbiblically when they participate in the kind of consensual discipline presented by the website in the OP. The practice might seem really weird to those of us who are firmly planted in 21st century America (it sure does to me), but perhaps it didn't seem so off-the-wall during times when the general culture viewed husbands as the authority in the home.

Please don't mistake my meaning here. I'm certainly not recommending, advocating, or defending the practice. I'm just sayin'...

• Members
First, I totally agree with the idea that there is no biblical basis for a husband to spank his wife. I am aware of no Scripture that either mandates or suggests such a practice.

That said...As far as I know, there is neither any Scripture which speaks out against the practice.

Sooo...I don't think we can say that these couples are sinning or acting unbiblically when they participate in the kind of consensual discipline presented by the website in the OP. The practice might seem really weird to those of us who are firmly planted in 21st century America (it sure does to me), but perhaps it didn't seem so off-the-wall during times when the general culture viewed husbands as the authority in the home.

Please don't mistake my meaning here. I'm certainly not recommending, advocating, or defending the practice. I'm just sayin'...

So if I decided to spank my wife for misbehavior it would not be a sin?

• Administrators

This is, to me, disgusting. The man is the head of the house, no-one would dispute that. But what is his wife? She is to be in subjection to him, with all reverence, no-one would dispute that (well, no-one who knows what the Bible specifically says would, anyway!). But is she not his partner? His partner in life and in child-rearing?

Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;
While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.

While they behold the chaste conversation (lifestyle)...not enforce with spankings!

Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered

I'm sorry, but I don't see how spanking a wife gives her honor. It just escapes me.

I do know that many women who are in a physically abusive relationship believe that they deserve it - they've done something to make their man angry, and so must be punished. This is the same type of reasoning behind CCD. One of the testimony's even sounded like it...they "test spanked" and he told her that (10 swats) wasn't enough, so when she "needed" discipline for something, it would be worse - and he would give her reminder swats during the following weeks. Yuck. She had a habit he didn't like, so was going to use that to help her. And she loved him more than ever for it.

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it. My husband deals with me in a loving way - without laying a punishing hand on me. When I do something wrong, he lets me know - and he's more than willing to work with me to conquer something, but not by spanking. He honors me as his wife, not his underling to be punished when I've displeased him.

One of the big problems that I see with this type of thing is, as I mentioned earlier, the wife is to be the husband's partner. But if she can be spanked just like the kids, how does that make her any different? At least in the kids' eyes? I mean, take it to the extreme (and it would go there with some - things always do), and you'd have kids tattling on mommy...

I fear that this kind of thing would cause the children to not respect their mother, in many ways. And it could set them up to either be abusers (boys) or abused (girls) when they become adults.

There is no scripture that commands it. There is no scripture that says not to do it. But I think there is plenty in there about the relationship between the husband and wife that would teach that it isn't right.

• Members
This is, to me, disgusting. The man is the head of the house, no-one would dispute that. But what is his wife? She is to be in subjection to him, with all reverence, no-one would dispute that (well, no-one who knows what the Bible specifically says would, anyway!). But is she not his partner? His partner in life and in child-rearing?

While they behold the chaste conversation (lifestyle)...not enforce with spankings!

I'm sorry, but I don't see how spanking a wife gives her honor. It just escapes me.

I do know that many women who are in a physically abusive relationship believe that they deserve it - they've done something to make their man angry, and so must be punished. This is the same type of reasoning behind CCD. One of the testimony's even sounded like it...they "test spanked" and he told her that (10 swats) wasn't enough, so when she "needed" discipline for something, it would be worse - and he would give her reminder swats during the following weeks. Yuck. She had a habit he didn't like, so was going to use that to help her. And she loved him more than ever for it.

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it. My husband deals with me in a loving way - without laying a punishing hand on me. When I do something wrong, he lets me know - and he's more than willing to work with me to conquer something, but not by spanking. He honors me as his wife, not his underling to be punished when I've displeased him.

One of the big problems that I see with this type of thing is, as I mentioned earlier, the wife is to be the husband's partner. But if she can be spanked just like the kids, how does that make her any different? At least in the kids' eyes? I mean, take it to the extreme (and it would go there with some - things always do), and you'd have kids tattling on mommy...

I fear that this kind of thing would cause the children to not respect their mother, in many ways. And it could set them up to either be abusers (boys) or abused (girls) when they become adults.

There is no scripture that commands it. There is no scripture that says not to do it. But I think there is plenty in there about the relationship between the husband and wife that would teach that it isn't right.

:amen::amen::amen:

I would, however, like to ask the question to those who kept saying "if is consentual". IF a couple believed it was right for the wife to be "disciplined" through spanking, then WHY should it have to be "consentual"? It is definitely not consentual between parent and child. Just ask any 2yr. old if they agree that they should be spanked! No, I am definitely in agreement 100% with HC, this practice is wrong; but if it were practiced for the reasons stated then it really should not HAVE to be consentual. (I think having it as such, though, gives the phony appearance that it is not what would be considered wife abuse today.) Oh, and yes I am aware that this might have been more common in the past, but there was also a time when people received whipping for what today would be considered minor offenses. Should we move to corporal punishment of adults in general again? Now, that might be an interesting debate, indeed.

• Members
Oh' date=' and yes I am aware that this might have been more common in the past, but there was also a time when people received whipping for what today would be considered minor offenses. Should we move to corporal punishment of adults in general again? Now, that might be an interesting debate, indeed.[/quote']

Yes, and those people of the past would now say we are liberal and have backslidden! Kind of like some who take Fundamentalism to the extreme, proclaiming everything that they disagree with as being a product of liberalism or someone being backslidden. They have no room for God's working his will in other's lives in a different manner than in theirs (I'm not talking about those clear items in Scripture).

• Members
So if I decided to spank my wife for misbehavior it would not be a sin?

Jerry, all I said is that the Bible does not specifically condemn the practice. How do we know if something is sinful? We know something is sinful if it violates clear commands and principles of Scripture. LuAnne has delved into that a bit. She believes that the practice violates certain biblical principles (I would tend to agree with her). She has a problem with spanking being degrading, not honoring. All I said was that there was a time and culture when this practice wasn't considered degrading. (We still don't think it's degrading to spank children, but we do view spanking wives as degrading.)

Some women obviously do not view spanking as degrading. There is nothing in the Bible that says it is, or that it isn't. We make that determination on our own, based on our own ideas of the roles of men and women in the body of Christ. I personally am repulsed by the idea of husbands spanking wives; I can't imagine my husband doing it to me. But I can't say that the behavior is "for sure" sinful, can I? It's one of those things we can have an opinion on, but that we can't know for sure is actually sinful for every person. Motivation has a lot to do with it.

NOTE: Again, I am NOT advocating this practice in the least; I am repulsed by it. It would, without a doubt, be sinful for my husband and me to engage in this practice because we do not believe it to be God's will for us, or necessary to the development of a Christ-like relationship. I would never counsel someone to engage in this, either. I DON'T LIKE IT! But that doesn't mean I can condemn those who use it. I don't think there's a strong enough biblical case to do so. As trc has said, "[some people] have no room for God's working his will in other's lives in a different manner than in theirs (I'm not talking about those clear items in Scripture)." I don't want to be one of those people.