• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is chewing gum in church okay?

Is chewing gum in church okay?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Is chewing gum in church okay?

• Yes
    • No

• Administrators

I voted no, simply because I think it is disrespectful - people who chew gum (and I do...lots!) don't always realize they are chomping away with their mouths open, bubbles are being blown and popped, etc. I don't preach (truly I don't!!! :Green ), but would imagine that it would be rather distracting to see a bunch of people "chewing cud." :lol:

But I wouldn't yell at someone who does. We don't allow our son to, nor do we do it ourselves.

• Members

I was raised that you DO NOT EVER chew gum in church. Can't say I'm that adamently against it though. Sometimes you just have to have something in your mouth to stay awake. So while I don't really care for it much, I don't think it is wrong. Do I let my kids chew gum in church? or is it given to jr. church kids? No, but basically because they just will make a mess with it. I have signed in front of the church during sermon time and I really can't say that those that were chewing gum were distracting me at all or blowing bubbles and such.

• Members

I was taught and always heard it's disrespectful to chew gum in church but I have been wondering what other people think.

One time I mentioned to my wife that sometimes in church my mouth and throat get dry and I wished I had a piece of gum in my mouth. My wife gave me one of "those looks" and said, "You don't chew gum in church, it's disrespectful."

Last Sunday, I noticed the church piano player sitting in the front pew with her child preparing to go to the piano. Right before she left the pew, she got out a stick of gum, stuck it in her mouth, and proceeded to the piano happily chewing away.

I've noticed that sometimes the church will pass out a stick of gum to the children who attend church, but I also notice this is always done AFTER church is finished! :Green

Myself, I find it far more distracting for youngsters to be playing with noisy toys in the pews than for someone to be chewing gum. Of course, other than the piano player, I couldn't tell you if anyone else were chewing gum or not. It is possible to chew gum, or simply have a piece of gum in your mouth, in a manner that's not very noticable.

I know I absolutely would be against gum chomping and bubble blowing in church! :lol:

• Members

I (personal opinion) think it is in bad taste and I feel it is very disrespectful. My husband and I did not allow our two daughters to chew gum in Sunday school or church. I have had visitors and members alike chewing gum behind me or in front of me and they definitely were not discreet about their mouths wide open and smacking like crazy and I do believ in a situation like that it is very distracting to the man of God in the pulpit trying to bring God's message and also to the lost soul/souls who are sitting in the congregation.
Janice :smile

• Administrators
I think it may be alright if you do it quietly. But not if you are the preacher or in the choir.
A long time ago my dad tried to preach with a Tic Tac in his mouth, it did not work out very well because it flew out of his mouth when he was preaching and landed and stuck on a sleeping kid in the front row. The Tic Tac stuck on the littles boy cheek. After waking up a 5 minutes later the boy realized that the Tic Tac was stuck on his cheek and eat it. :duh

• Members
A long time ago my dad tried to preach with a Tic Tac in his mouth' date=' it did not work out very well because it flew out of his mouth when he was preaching and landed and stuck on a sleeping kid in the front row. The Tic Tac stuck on the littles boy cheek. After waking up a 5 minutes later the boy realized that the Tic Tac was stuck on his cheek and eat it. :duh[/quote']

Are you serious? :uuhm: That would have made a really good "funniest home video"....

I think gum is fine if you can handle it but most people look/sound disgusting while chewing it so in most cases I'd say no. I don't like gum too much, once in awhile I'll chew a piece for my breath but I can only tolerate it maybe 10 minutes before I throw it out.

• Members

Speaking of tic tac. I had a little kid put tic tac in the nose twice. He just want to see if the nose can get tic tac. I didn't know and ask what he was thinking. My wife had to use the twister to pull tic tac out of the nose. Wasn't that funny and gross?? :lol:

Anyway, I tried chewing gum during the service once. I realized it was distracted while the preacher preached. It seemed interfere the Holy Spirit that I was not able to get the conviction. So, it is better not have gum in the service to get a full conviction and pay attention to what God has to say thru preachers.

Evan57 :ears: w/o hear

• Members
A long time ago my dad tried to preach with a Tic Tac in his mouth' date=' it did not work out very well because it flew out of his mouth when he was preaching and landed and stuck on a sleeping kid in the front row. The Tic Tac stuck on the littles boy cheek. After waking up a 5 minutes later the boy realized that the Tic Tac was stuck on his cheek and eat it. :duh[/quote']

Brother Matt it is "ate it" not "eat it."

Anyway...I started reading your post and I tried to picture Brother Souza preaching with something in his mouth..and as rowdy as he gets when he is preaching I could so not see it happening. I haven't gotten to hear him preach in years! I miss seeing him and Mrs. Faith, I hear they are in Texas right now...they should stop by. :wink