• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do you play the lottery$$$$$$$$$$$$ ?

Do you play the lottery$$$$$$$$$$$$ ?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you play the lottery$$$$$$$$$$$$ ?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'd rather not answer that question

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I answered 'no.'
Proverbs 20:21 An inheritance may be gotten hastily at the beginning; but the end thereof shall not be blessed.

Proverbs 23:5 Wilt thou set thine eyes upon that which is not? for riches certainly make themselves wings; they fly away as an eagle toward heaven.

• Members

Its the same thing as I tell my boys when they want to try to put money into the claw machine to get a toy. I just say "It steals your money until you put so much in that it would have been cheaper just to buy a stuffed animal at Walmart."

You buy ticket after ticket until you may as well have just put your money in a savings acct and drawn a bit of interest. And that's if you are lucky (with the tickets). Its putting money into a bag with holes.

• Members
Its the same thing as I tell my boys when they want to try to put money into the claw machine to get a toy. I just say "It steals your money until you put so much in that it would have been cheaper just to buy a stuffed animal at Walmart."

You buy ticket after ticket until you may as well have just put your money in a savings acct and drawn a bit of interest. And that's if you are lucky (with the tickets). Its putting money into a bag with holes.

What if your goal is not really to win anything? What if you have other motivations?

Edit for clarity: What if your boys really like watching the claw move, and playing the game and really could care less if they got a toy? Is $.50 spent on entertainment money well spent?

• Members

Number one, if your goal is giving to education or charity, then donate that way.

Number two, if your idea of fun is scraping goo off a ticket and feeling the disappointment of yet another loss...hey that's your thing. :lol:

There are studies showing its addicting though, which is another angle of the discussion.

• Members
Number one, if your goal is giving to education or charity, then donate that way.
HAHA! true enough. I heard on Dave Ramsey how the vast majority of lotto sales are in low income zip codes, while the vast majority of scholarship recipients come from middle to high income zip codes... in other words its poor people sending rich kids to college. That's definitely ashame.

Number two, if your idea of fun is scraping goo off a ticket and feeling the disappointment of yet another loss...hey that's your thing. :lol:

Well, it kinda is... Not really though. I mentioned in the other threads, I will once or twice a year bring on home as a conversation starter. I have never bought a ticket with the idea that I was "playing to win". On the flip side, some really great conversations about life, values, etc. have come from me bringing home a lotto ticket. That is well worth a dollar.

There are studies showing its addicting though, which is another angle of the discussion.

True. I worry about people who drop major cash into a system like that. There is a guy at work who spends about $100 a week (BroMatt can correct me if my number is off). Put into an interest bearing account, $100/week would be a very nice savings account. Like anything, we are never to be controlled by anything except the Spirit of God. Being addicted to anything is wrong. If that is a tendency of folks, then certainly abstaining completely is the best idea.

• Members
Kitagrl wrote:
Number two, if your idea of fun is scraping goo off a ticket and feeling the disappointment of yet another loss...hey that's your thing.

Well, it kinda is... Not really though. I mentioned in the other threads, I will once or twice a year bring on home as a conversation starter. I have never bought a ticket with the idea that I was "playing to win". On the flip side, some really great conversations about life, values, etc. have come from me bringing home a lotto ticket. That is well worth a dollar.

I wouldn't do it for testimony's sake but hey if that's truly your motive and its not a habit, then *shrugs* I can't necessarily say its bad, other than it could be a stumblingblock to others. (Like my dh is a pastor, what if a church member saw him buying one, he might get addicted to the lottery because the pastor opened the door).

• Members

I wouldn't do it for testimony's sake but hey if that's truly your motive and its not a habit, then *shrugs* I can't necessarily say its bad, other than it could be a stumblingblock to others. (Like my dh is a pastor, what if a church member saw him buying one, he might get addicted to the lottery because the pastor opened the door).

Fair enough. Thats a much bigger conversation. Where do we draw the line on being a stumblingblock. A lot of that is heart attitude, and truly being concerned for your brother. The rest is more "appearance driven" as you so aptly put it, IMO. I do not think there is an exact answer for every situation, but instead listening to the spirit's voice.

• Members

Here is my thinking about the Lottery - I told this to a friend who plays every week on payday... take the money that you would have used to buy a ticket and stash it in the sugar bowl on top of the refrigerator. Do this everytime you feel the urge to play the numbers - just stick however much money you would have spent on the tickets in the sugar bowl. Then at the end of the year, on your birthday - open the sugar jar and go spend your "winnings!" :Green