• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

juicer question

• Members
Mine are like jam w/o the chunks and seeds. My fruit butters are smooth and seedless.

With jam, you have chunks of whole fruit. With jelly, only the juice has been used. But with fruit butter, I put the whole fruit through a hand-cranked strainer that sends all the seeds and skin one way and the good pulp another. So what I end up with is between jam and jelly. It isn't chunky fruit but it isn't just juice either.

Then when I follow the Sure-jell recipe which has a very small cooking time, I get maximum color and flavor. Yummy stuff!

You got my vote. :thumb :clap::clap::clap: :amen:

• Members
Thanks a lot folks - now I'm trying to wipe all the drool off the keyboard! :lol:

Wayne

Wayne, :lol

If you can get fruit right now, you can try this experiment:::::

***Blueberries are almost over, but still available.

***Peaches are coming in.

***Strawberries, Black Raspberries, Blackberries, Loganberries, etc. are all availble as frozen.

#1. Wash the fresh fruit thoroughly and let drain-dry.

#1.a. If your fruit is frozen, let it thaw out and then proceed, but skip the washing and stewing steps. The fruit is already washed and "cooked" ((((The freezing, literally does that cooking for you)))). :lol

#2. Stew (simmer) the fruit on very low heat for about 20 to 30 minutes, or just until softened, stirring occasionally.

#3. Run this "stew" thru your Victorio Strainer to filter out all the seeds.

You now have puree.

Follow the instructions in the box of Sure-Jell to the letter.

You will end up with the finest fruit butter on earth!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members
What section of a supermarket do you find Sure-jell in?

Wayne

I usually find it in the section that would also have canning jars, pickling and preserving supplies, freezer boxes, etc.

However, I'm never patient enough to walk thru the store searching. :lol::lol::lol: I just go to the service desk and ask. :wink :thumb

• Members

Jim, you precook your fruit before putting it through Victorio?? Didn't know that. I just put fresh soft fruits (berries, peaches) straight into the strainer. Even less cooking time so the flavor and color is preserved. :thumb

sacrew, if you shop at Wal-mart, the sure-jell and other canning stuff is normally in housewares, in the kitchen section. In grocery stores and supermarkets, you can find sure jell in the baking products aisle.

• Members
Jim, you precook your fruit before putting it through Victorio?? Didn't know that. I just put fresh soft fruits (berries, peaches) straight into the strainer. Even less cooking time so the flavor and color is preserved. :thumb

sacrew, if you shop at Wal-mart, the sure-jell and other canning stuff is normally in housewares, in the kitchen section. In grocery stores and supermarkets, you can find sure jell in the baking products aisle.

I "stew" the fruit before the straining process in order to loosen the fruit-pulp from the seeds more thoroughly. I get more pulp thru the strainer with this method. Way, way back when we first bought the Victorio my wife did a whole lot of raspberries in it only as washed and sorted, with no precooking. She ended up with a sizable pile of seeds and pulp. She asked me how do we get the seeds separated from the pulp because it looked like we were throwing so much away, and we groaned to have to throw away so much of that "good-stuff". I told her that I didn't know, so she tried running the residue thru the strainer again. Well, that didn't work as it bound the whole thing up. WHOTTTTTTTTA MESS!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol: We won't do that again. :cooldude:

When I did my grapes I first stewed, blended the mix lightly , seeds, skins and all for the purpose of chopping up the skins, and then straining out the seeds. In this way I got 99% of the pulp from the skins. It is very important to get the "skin-pulp" because at least 95% of the flavor is in the skins. When I saw how successful this was, I carried the idea over to all other fruits, too. :lol

By stewing on low heat for only as long as it takes to soften the fruit and loosen the pulp from the seeds it shouldn't hurt the flavor. :Green For my grapes it took about 20 minutes or so. For soft-bodied fruits (raspberries, blackberries, loganberries, etc.) it may be a whole lot less.

A lady from a church we used to go to tried making grape jam from grapes I had given her. It didn't thicken suitably so she boiled it for three more hours to reduce the water content. It was incredibly sweet but had no flavor whatsoever. :sad

• Members

Another note::::

Suppose you try blueberries. If you like blueberry pie or cobbler, you'll really like this. :Green :thumb

Try this procedure for maximum benefit:::::

#1. Wash, sort and drain dry.

#2. Stew lightly for about 10 to 12 minutes or so.

#3. Blend on "Liquify" in your blender. This process will mix the skins and pulp all together thoroughly.

#4. Follow the Sure-Jell instructions.

• Members
Hmm; interesting. I ran my strawberries through about 3 times to get all the pulp out and it didn't bind up. I got it all too; :lol all that was left was a tiny pile of seeds and a little bit of white residue.

Most excellent, Jessica. :lol :thumb :clap::clap:

The cooking/stewing step was not necessary in your procedure and that is a definite plus. :Green

• Members

I must say that my wife, who really knows her way around the kitchen, is not about to do my stewing process to soften the fruit. Not only that, but her jams, jellies and other confections are infinitely better than anything that I could ever put together. :Green She may very well be the finest cook in the entire state of Pennsylvania. :clap::clap::clap::clap: :thumb

All things being equal though, she does enjoy my sweet pepper relish, and she does not even like peppers.