• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Legalizing drugs, would it be bad or good?

• Members

These are questions for thought, and I world like to see some opinions.

In your opinions, what would happened if drugs were made legal? Would things be better or worse?

Wasn't it in the early 1900's when they were made illegal? Did things get better after this?

Is the main goal of drugs being illegal actually a way for big business, drug companies even the pharmacy and doctors to make money by being the only legal way to obtain such drugs?

I started this topic here because of this topic, I didn't want to hijack it.

BEWARE! Afghanistan South

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25953

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's been proven in the Netherlands that legalizing drugs only INCREASES crime, prostitution and the breakdown of the family and the general welfare of society. Plus the added health problems and the fact that it would burden the taxpayers just as much with it legal than with the so-called "War on Drugs". There is something spiritual that also happens to a nation that embraces drugs. A spiritual lethargia. Holland is in the process on being taken over by Islam and nobody there seems to care because they are all to stoned to.

• Members

Our nation has already rejected God, so I don't think that point is valid, becasue this United States is already an ungodly country.

One thing for sure, what is now being done does not seem to be working. It looks like if things keeps going the same direction Mexico is going to be ruled by the drug lords and no one in that country will be safe. But if that happends it will spill over even more into this United States.

One thing for sure, with the way things are going, it ought to be proof we'er living in a lost and dying world.

• Members
Our nation has already rejected God, so I don't think that point is valid, becasue this United States is already an ungodly country.

One thing for sure, what is now being done does not seem to be working. It looks like if things keeps going the same direction Mexico is going to be ruled by the drug lords and no one in that country will be safe. But if that happends it will spill over even more into this United States.

One thing for sure, with the way things are going, it ought to be proof we'er living in a lost and dying world.

The government has rejected God but there are many in America who haven't rejected him. So the point is valid.

• Members

All surveys that attempt to really pinpoint whether one is a true, biblically born again Christian or not point to the same thing, the percentage in America who are is very low.

To the topic, if drugs were legalized the effect would depend upon the regulations put with them and how they were carried out.

Consider Prohibition. Making alcoholic drinks illegal sounded good on paper but the reality was very different. Prohibition gave rise to the Mafia and made criminals of millions of otherwise law abiding citizens. Corruption was rampant as those profiting from the illegal booze trade handed out lots of cash to those who would help them.

The same is seen in the "War on Drugs". This has given rise to scores of powerful street gangs, motorcycle gangs and the mafia. Contrary to popular belief, not all who use drugs are near complete losers (although in some cases many are), so there are millions across the land who are otherwise law abiding citizens but are now criminals because they like to smoke pot at home on weekends. Corruption is rampant as the illegal drug dealers are flush with cash to spread around to crooked cops, politicians and others.

Remember back to the days when drunk driving was exceedingly common and look at the difference today with strict laws strictly enforced with regards to drunk driving. Even some anti-drunk driving groups are finding it hard to stay in existence because their campaigns for strict laws and strict enforcement has been so successful.

What Jerry has said is true, the War on Drugs is not working. That means something needs to be changed. Which plan would Americans be more likely to back: A full, crushing, heavy handed all-out assault on all drug dealers and users until the vast majority of them are exterminated; or the legalizing of drugs with strict laws strictly enforced regarding their manufacture, sale and use?

• Members

I'm not too sure about this topic, but I believe it is somewhat like prohibition. Prohibition didn't work, neither does the war on drugs. I don't think legalizing drugs or fighting against them will work AT ALL. I do beleive the solution is much more simple than we think. Win souls. Christ is the one that can transform people and destroy vice and crime in a society.

• Members

We know Christ is the answer for all things, but we also know the government is not Christian. In fact, the government today is mostly filled with very unchristian politicians. Also, we know the whole nation won't come to Christ, nor will half the nation, etc. Therefore, there will be some form of government restriction or acceptance of drugs, it's just a matter of what that will be.

On a personal level, or with regards to Christians in general, indeed we should be busy spreading the Gospel to win lost souls to Christ and that will absolutely have an impact in the lives of those saved.

However, this thread started out dealing with the legal aspect, not the Christian or personal aspect.

• Members

First, people don't need drugs they need Jesus. They don't need the chaos about to occur fogged any further.

Second, now would be a terrible time to make a source of withdrawl from reality available. During an already depressed economy, with loss of jobs, homes, desperate people don't need to have addiction to add to their problems.

• Members

How do you define a "drug"? Most things people eat or drink is considered a "drug". You have alcohol. Then you have caffeine. Then you have nicotine, and so on and so forth.

Note that the Scriptures do not directly say anything against drugs, but did warn about the danger of addiction. Many cults like to use drugs to "get high" as part of their rituals and practices. Such the Bible calls "sorcery", and is one of the marks of the lost.

There are drugs that are highly addictive and can be fatal. If we legalize it 100%, they'll be easily made available to everyone. With demand, comes supply - many people take drugs because it offers them a "getaway" from the stresses of modern life. (instead of seeking God)

I believe that you throw people into prison or execute them only if they pose a threat to order within the society (in accordance with Rom. 13) - i.e. they are violent criminals. Don't spare the murderer, rapist or thief. Non-violent drug addicts should be sent to rehab or halfway houses rather than being thrown into prison.

• Members

Legalizing drugs wouldn't make them that much more accessible and wouldn't drive more folks to become druggies. The largest growing drug problem in the country is in prescription drugs. Folks are seeking out prescription and unscrupulous doctors are more than happy to provide them. Then folks sell their prescription drugs (which are legal) to others.

Those who want an "escape" today have no problem finding alcohol, various illegal drugs and many legal drugs they can use to achieve what they are after.

The War on Drugs has been a total failure. Evidence would suggest there are really only two viable options offering anything close to a solution.

One: A total, brutal crackdown on all drug suppliers, makers, distributors and users regardless of who they are, how "small" they are or where they are. This basically means mass execution considering how large the problem is.

Two: Legalize drugs and put in place strict laws regarding them and have those laws strictly enforced with severe penalties.

• Members

Many people think that the majority of Americas are Christians, that is far from true. As John pointed out.

John wrote:
<<"All surveys that attempt to really pinpoint whether one is a true, biblically born again Christian or not point to the same thing, the percentage in America who are is very low.">>

It is a fact, there be few who serve the one true God in America and use the one and only path to God that there be, by faith in Jesus, not of works, not of self.

Its a fact, many in America do serve gods with a little g, many people do serve a christ that is not the Son of God and a christ that wasn't born of a virgin.

So yes, America has already turned away from the one true God, this is not a Christians nation.

Yes, America has lots of churches but very few chueches who teach and worship the one true God and His Son the only Savior is spirit and truth.

John 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Yes, there be few Americans who stay with God's truth, without God's truth one cannot worship the one true God.

Matthew 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

Matthew 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Yes, most people are gathering up around the board gate where many enter in at, but few there be who enter in at the narrow gate.

I'm with John on this, as already stated, what they're now doing is not working and don't seem that it ever will.

• Members
Legalizing drugs wouldn't make them that much more accessible and wouldn't drive more folks to become druggies. The largest growing drug problem in the country is in prescription drugs. Folks are seeking out prescription and unscrupulous doctors are more than happy to provide them. Then folks sell their prescription drugs (which are legal) to others.

John, I might be mistaken, but I don't think it is legal to sell your prescription drugs to others.

I don't see how you could say that "legalizing drugs wouldn't make them that much more accessible." Alcoholic beverages (which used to be illegal and harder to come by as a result) are now available in any grocery store, many restaurants, ABC stores, bars, and so many other public places. It's just common sense to assume that mass availability will definitely increase drug usage and drug abuse. History bears this out.

Those who want an "escape" today have no problem finding alcohol, various illegal drugs and many legal drugs they can use to achieve what they are after.

Sure, but they pay a steep price for the illegal drugs. Alcohol and legal drugs simply do not have the same kinds of mind-altering/mind-destroying potential as illegal drugs. (That's why they're illegal.) Alcohol, painkillers, etc., have more of a soporific/deadening effect, not the coveted, sophisticated "high" of meth or crack cocaine. (Yes, I know that some prescription drugs and even certain household solutions can produce a high, but not anywhere near the kind of high that most illegal drugs produce.)

One: A total, brutal crackdown on all drug suppliers, makers, distributors and users regardless of who they are, how "small" they are or where they are. This basically means mass execution considering how large the problem is.

IMO, this is the ideal solution. But we all know it ain't gonna happen.

Two: Legalize drugs and put in place strict laws regarding them and have those laws strictly enforced with severe penalties.

I don't see how this would help the situation at all. It's the opposite of a "solution." The status quo is better than this option.

The Mafia, gangs, prostitution, etc., will always be with us, whether or not drugs are legalized. These entities make money off of soooo many other illegal practices (black market, fraud, racketeering, etc.). They don't need drugs to stay illegal in order to make money. Sure, a lot of "drug dealers" would be out of business, but they'd just find other mischief to get into. There's no shortage of illegal ways to make money.

• Members

Present day time drugs are the number one money maker for mobs, just as during the Prohibition alcohol was. And the drug lords have plenty of expendable money, and they are using it. I feel sure many of them are using that money in the right places, payoffs, but of course at present time in Mexico they're using fear, if Mexico falls this will spill over into America even worse that it already has.

The way many get their drugs is to use 2 to 4 doctors. I know of one who used 3 doctors to get his, that way he could have a months supply of drugs to keep him happy. Of course on 2 of them he had to pay the office calls, but narcotics are quite cheap in the drug store. Plus having a bottle with his name on it prescribe to him made him legal if we was stopped, that is as long as he only had one bottle. But still this come out cheaper than buying perscribed drugs illegal.

I know of others who will pull up to peoples houses, and will do almost any thing to deceived the person in order to get to their medicine cabinet, ask to use their bathroom, their telephone. I know of one who goes around deceiving people who has terminal cancer, for she knows they will have plenty of pills. That's right, she will steal narcotics from a person who is terminal ill who needs their meds for their pain.

Its illegal to sell drugs prescribe to you by your doctor, in fact its illegal to give someone a narcotic pain pill that is prescribe to you to someone else.

The doctors are not totally at blame, but many would love to put the whole blame on the doctors. And because many doctors have had legal actions taken against them they now turn many out of their office to live in pain for fear of legal actions. A person cannot imagine what this would be like until they have lived in real pain their self with out no relief.

For some things there is just no easy answer. I'm against the sale of alcohol, I'm against drinking, but we know from history that it was worse druing the Prohibition than it have been since it was lifted.

• Members

I guess at the end of the day, one can only conclude that whenever there is some sort of law for something, when the state puts something on paper, things often get complicated. Just because there is a law in place doesn't mean it is enforced. If a person wants to give his/her prescription drug to others, how easy is it to catch them? Not easy unless you want to establish a police state with cameras all around.

"Mass execution" is no guarantee that druggies will "be taught a lesson" - sometimes it may even be counterproductive. Remember, when you throw a convict in prison, he gets a criminal record = cannot get job easily. He mixes with other criminals - some more hardened than him. And (assuming he does not know Christ) he learns their evil ways. Then he comes out, scorned at by society, family and probably church - and most likely returns to a life of crime. I don't think this is the result we want to see.

And the Scriptures? Well, anything can be abused and addicted of. One can be drugged. Drunk. And may I add, so does overeating and drinking too much coffee.

I think we're been talking so far - as how to stop drug abuse. We all agree that the people need Jesus, yes. Yet the focus so far has being on how to punish them, how to ban this etc. A question: how do you deal with the drug addict that you know (if you know any)?