• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can divorce be a pastor or deacon?

Can divorce become a pastor or deacon?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Can divorce become a pastor or deacon?

• Yes
    • no
    • not sure

• Moderators

OK, I don't normally waste my time with such -- but, I will finish taking Firm's statements to end conclusion. I have 5 children, my last to marry is in May 2012, at that time I must resign (following his statements) since I no longer have children. You say, but they haven't all died yet. OK, then in that case (since they fit my child clause requirement), at 30 years of age one turns from God and becomes a drug dealer requiring that I now resign due to the poor family testimony one of my children (grown,married,and with children) has created.

Or this -- after 2 children, 8 years of marriage, and 2years patoring there is a car wreck. Both children die, pastor HAD but does not HAVE children -- shall pastor resign?

Edited by OLD fashioned

• Members

OK, I don't normally waste my time with such -- but, I will finish taking Firm's statements to end conclusion. I have 5 children, my last to marry is in May 2012, at that time I must resign (following his statements) since I no longer have children. You say, but they haven't all died yet. OK, then in that case (since they fit my child clause requirement), at 30 years of age one turns from God and becomes a drug dealer requiring that I now resign due to the poor family testimony one of my children (grown,married,and with children) has created.

Or this -- after 2 children, 8 years of marriage, and 2years patoring there is a car wreck. Both children die, pastor HAD but does not HAVE children -- shall pastor resign?

Why put such scenarios out there? Why try to circuMVent the Word? The Word says MUST BE... not MUST HAVE BEEN.

• Moderators

Why put such scenarios out there? Why try to circuMVent the Word? The Word says MUST BE... not MUST HAVE BEEN.

1) I didn't "create" any scenarios, I merely related 2 actual incidents that I know of (except the drug detail, the real detail is different).

2) I was merely following the line of previous statements to obvious conclusion for these 2 REAL incidences, if the response is different than what was concluded, please explain train of thought for said variance. Edited by OLD fashioned

• Members

Of interest, I have often heard the saying, "God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called"

Here, in the Timothy passage, it is apparent that the man MUST be qualified before taking the office of a Bishop/Pastor/Elder. If a man desire the office of Biship, he must...

Apparently the calling has been given prior to the desire, and God began quallifying the called by giving him a wife, children, a heart for a good report, etc..

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Moderators

Of interest, I have often heard the saying, "God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called"

Here, in the Timothy passage, it is apparent that the man MUST be qualified before taking the office of a Bishop/Pastor/Elder. If a man desire the office of Biship, he must...

Apparently the calling has been given prior to the desire, and God began quallifying the called by giving him a wife, children, a heart for a good report, etc..

And then at age 45 (if he only has 2 children), he becomes disqualified without any action on anyone's part (if I read the implication of post #96 correctly). OK, gotta go back to work, besides I'm closer to sarcasm than I prefer to allow myself.

• Members

OK, I submit. MUST BE does not mean MUST BE. It means DOESN"T HAVE TO BE.

Using that logic, what Jesus said at twelve years of age was, I don't have to be about my Father's business in Luke 2:49.

Using that logic, what Jesus said in reply to Nicodemus was "It's not necessary to be born again." in John 3:7

Using that logic, the passover did not have to be killed in Luke 22:7

John 12 34 the Son of man must be lifted up. Using the logic that MUST BE doesn't mean MUST BE, Jesus didn't have to die on the cross.

The fact is, in each of the verses I referenced above, the same Greek word was used... the word "dei"

So if MUST be doesn't mean MUST BE in 1 Timothy 3, then it doesn't mean MUST BE in the other verses either.

Here's the clincher... Titus 1:11. Whose mouths MUST BE stopped... So the unruly, the vain talkers, and the deceivers don't need to be silenced?

I see.