• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Revelation 12, past or future?

• Members

Just to be certain...so the woman in Rev.12 is Israel, correct? Because the church did not bring forth Christ, but rather He brought forth the church. Is this correct? because I'm reading several commentaries that it insist the woman is the church. Thanks in advance!

Love,
Madeline

• Members

I think we would all agree that any symbolism in the Bible is also explained elsewhere throughout the Bible.

Revelation 12:1-2 And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars: And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered.

This symbolism is only used in the following passage:

Genesis 37:9-10 And he dreamed yet another dream, and told it his brethren, and said, Behold, I have dreamed a dream more; and, behold, the sun and the moon and the eleven stars made obeisance to me. And he told it to his father, and to his brethren: and his father rebuked him, and said unto him, What is this dream that thou hast dreamed? Shall I and thy mother and thy brethren indeed come to bow down ourselves to thee to the earth?

According to Joseph's dream, the sun, moon and twelve stars represent Jacob and Rachel, and Jacob's 12 sons. Therefore the woman only fits Israel. That makes sense - because the Messiah came through Israel (and there are OT passages that talk about the nation giving birth, etc.). As a child, the devil (and the empire ruled by him) sought to kill Him, and later He ascends to Heaven. Fits Jesus. He is to be the one who would rule the nations with a rod of iron - again, only Jesus fits this description.

• Members
Just to be certain...so the woman in Rev.12 is Israel, correct? Because the church did not bring forth Christ, but rather He brought forth the church. Is this correct? because I'm reading several commentaries that it insist the woman is the church. Thanks in advance!

Love,
Madeline

Jerry said it greatly with biblical reference, but I'll just spell it out:
Jesus came from Israel the woman of rev chapt 12, and it was Jesus that started the church.
The woman, in revelation chapter 12, is attributed to Israel by most biblical scholars, with deviation mainly coming from apocalyptic churches (ones who think the end is near, we're at the end, know the date of the end, ect ect. )
The church couldn't of brought forth Jesus, sins had not been paid for yet.