• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How do you refer to your pastor?

How do you refer to your pastor?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. How do you refer to your pastor?

• Pastor
    • Brother
    • Reverend
    • Elder

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
The author of this poll is obviously not from California as there is no option for "Dude" on here! hahaha. just kidding...seriously though' date=' i usually refer to him as pastor or preacher.[/quote']

No dude, I'm not from sunny California, but I have been there many times, back in the late 70's and early 80's I was out about once a week.

• Members

During those years, I probably spent more time in California, than I did in Arkansas, and what time I spent in Arkansas, I was trying to get some sleep to make the next trip out there. We would haul many things out there, even dead chickens, them produce back home.

Edited to add a true California story.

Before they were tuck driving schools, you learned ever thing on your own. I was unloading at one place out there in sunny California, and a young boy who worked on the dock asked me where I went to truck driving school at.

I asked him, What is truck driving school, at that time I had never heard of such a thing as a truck driving school. He told me it was a school that teaches you how to drive a truck. I said, OH. Them he asked me, how did you learn to drive a tractor trailer? I told him I went to a trucking company and asked for a job, they put we to work, them I learned how. He looked at me as if I was plump silly.

Before I left, I asked him, would you like to see the inside of my truck. This young man of about 18 let out a big smile and said yes. I told him to go around and get in the drives door and have a seat, I would get in the other door.

When I got in the first thing he asked me, what are those 2 levers sticking out of the floor. I told him those are the gear shift levers. He said, "2 of them?" I told him yes, I've got two transmissions. He said, "How many times do you have to shift to get in high gear?" I told him sixteen times, but part of the time you shift both transmissions at the same time.

When he climbed down out of the truck, he asked, "How fast will it run?" I told him 100 MPH plus. He was one amazed California DUDE with a big smile on his face, he said, "That's exactly the kind of truck I want to drive, I am fixing to get in that truck driving school as soon as I can."

Since them I thought all the dudes were in California.

• Members

When my wife talks to others in our church and refers to me in my official capacity in the church, she says pastor. When it's a more personal story, she refers to me as Mitch. It's kind of weird to have your wife call you "pastor."

Mitch

• Members

My wife called me pastor at church and Ed at home. I call my pastor "Pastor". No last name needed and in my opinion no first name out of respect for him and his position. Though I am a little old fashion, I believe it to be disrespectful to the position of pastor to call him by his first name. Off topic a little, but children should never be allowed to call an adult by their first name either.

• Members
Though I am a little old fashion' date=' I believe it to be disrespectful to the position of pastor to call him by his first name.[/quote']

Not to ding you Pastorj but that sounds a tad prideful. Pastors are the shepards of the flocks, not the owners.

Wayne

Then how come when they introduce the president of the USA it is "Mr. President" not "George". :lol: Personally I think it is polite not to address someone in a position of authority by their first name unless they ask you to, it shows respect. Of course some pastors WANT to be called by their first name and if they ask you to do that then I think it is polite to do so. Unless you know for sure it is best to err on the side of caution. :Green

• Administrators
Then how come when they introduce the president of the USA it is "Mr. President" not "George". :lol: Personally I think it is polite not to address someone in a position of authority by their first name unless they ask you to' date=' it shows respect. Of course some pastors WANT to be called by their first name and if they ask you to do that then I think it is polite to do so. Unless you know for sure it is best to err on the side of caution. :Green[/quote']

:goodpost:

• Members
My wife called me pastor at church and Ed at home. I call my pastor "Pastor". No last name needed and in my opinion no first name out of respect for him and his position. Though I am a little old fashion' date=' I believe it to be disrespectful to the position of pastor to call him by his first name. Off topic a little, but children should never be allowed to call an adult by their first name either.[/quote']

:goodpost:

• Members
Then how come when they introduce the president of the USA it is "Mr. President" not "George". :lol: Personally I think it is polite not to address someone in a position of authority by their first name unless they ask you to' date=' it shows respect. Of course some pastors WANT to be called by their first name and if they ask you to do that then I think it is polite to do so. Unless you know for sure it is best to err on the side of caution. :Green[/quote']

Hmm . . ok then should we say Mr. Pastor? :Green Actually your joke makes my point - it is a worldly custom - not Biblical. Is it now to Mr. Baptist instead of John the Batist? :Green
The whole point being, as Pastorj stated, he is a bit old fashioned. I am too - so old fashioned I try not to make worldly values the standard of behavior for the church. I do unto others as I would have them do unto to me - I'm Wayne - get it. :Green

it is a worldly custom - not Biblical.

I am not so sure that is the case, doesn't the Bible say Sarah called her husband Abraham "lord"? Why would that be? She knew his name and presumably was on good terms with him. :lol: Only one reason to do that, to show respect for his authority position. :Green