• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

qwerty one page third

• Members

There is a visitor coming to church this week, someone special

"Is it the mayor?" People asked? "If it's the mayor, we need something special. We should have the children sing a special song" This was talked about. "We should hang up red, white, and blue streamers, it's so neat that the mayor is coming to our church!"

No, it isn't the mayor.. someone more important

"The Governor? The leader of the entire STATE!?!" Was the next guess. "We should buy radio time.. we should let the city know that the Governor is going to be at OUR church!! We need to get volunteers to donate items and time so we can serve lunch after service! We need to clean and decorate the church! this is BIG!"

No... not the Governor... someone more special!

"More special then the governor? WOW, A movie star? A Movie STAR is coming to OUR church!?!?!?!?!?!? We need to make sure there is more seating! We need to get the children ready for a PLAY! We need to make sure we have extra people on security to park cars and ushers to find seats! This is amazing, a real MOVIE STAR is coming to OUR church!?!?!"

Even better then a movie star!

"The president? The PRESIDENT? The leader of the entire free world is coming to church! We need the kids to sing! We need the teens to put on a play! We need decorations! We need specials! We need radio time, and tell the T.V. stations! We need security to handle the people, and ushers to handle the seating and traffic! We need tables set up for information about missions, and bake sales, and we need to get extra audio equipment so we make sure we don't miss a word of what is said! We need to clean this place top to bottom, we need to have every floor mopped, every corner dusted! This is incredible.. the PRESIDENT is coming HERE!"

Bigger.

"Who's bigger then the president of the united states?"

"God. The creator and Lord of the entire universe"

"That's who's coming? Oh... He comes every weekend though... No need for anything special... I can sleep in"

I think I remember reading something about God and mammon... I forget how it goes....

• Members

Sadly, that's a very true scene!

There are many who would rush to church for a special guest speaker, or if some sort of celebrity were coming, or to hear a special singer, or see a special program, but to simply go to church to fellowship with others and "meet" with the Lord, well that's just a lot to expect and some just "can't" make it while others grudgingly haul themselves to church and can't wait for it to be over so they can "get on with their weekend". :sad

While a lot of folks use the phrase, "We have to go to church on Sunday"; I've always made it a point that my wife and children never hear me say that. I always state, "We get to go to church tomorrow." I also make it clear the reason we are going, which is to hear the message God will have the pastor preach to us.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I always look froward to attending church, perhaps some people dread going.

And some feel that it is the only sacrifice they should make and that they can forget about all of it till next Sunday morning from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM.

I never looked at it as a sacrifice, but a privilege.

• Members

:amen: Jerry!

Going to church is something to look forward to, something to be joyous about.

For too many it's a just something they have to do to keep up appearances. For others, it's something to do when they can fit it into their schedule.

I love church and would be well pleased if I never missed another day of church the rest of my life!

• Members

Amen brother.

I have had church members who expressed that it was a great sacrifice for them to attend 1 hour of church service on a Sunday morning. These were people who worked Monday thru Friday, they felt Saturday & Sunday was their time off to do the many things the world has to offer.

• Members

Unfortunately, even many professing Chrsitians view Sunday morning more as a time to get "extra sleep" or as time to get over their hangover from the late night alcohol drinking Saturday night and time to get ready for whatever game is on the TV that day.

Attending church, especially once a week, isn't a sacrifice for the great, very vast majority of folks in America. It's a choice. A choice between gathering with your brothers and sisters in Christ as Scripture clearly teaches we are to do, or of seeking after worldly matters instead.

Going to church should be a joy and a blessing we look forward to, not something we dread.