• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Bible Study Software

Timothy

• Members

I want to know if you use your computer to help you study the Bible.

Computers have their good points in that there is a nice lot of Bible study software out there that is handy. The downside is that sometimes it is more "fun" to some people to do something else with the computer: play games; play movies; chat on the net; spend time in forums; etc.. So I wouldn't expect everyone to study the Bible on the computer.

What software do you use?

If you don't study the Bible on the computer, that's fine too--say so.

For example:

There is Esword, which is good for Windows--especially if you don't have much loose change for the others.
There is also the Sword Project at crosswire dot org. This is open source, and has more add-ons than Esword.

I'm using Linux (surprise), so I use GnomeSword2 on KDE (consistent?). It is based off the Sword Project, so... it is pretty good.

So am I the only person here that uses their computer to study their Bible?

• Members

I find myself using biblegateway any time I want to lookup a verse.

I used e-sword for a while, but was dissapointed that you couldn't sync notes between the Windows Mobile version and the regular. Now that I am a MAC user, I am devoid of a bible software (I really don't like running xapps). As much as I live on the computer, there is nothing like opening a handful of Bibles and some commentaries, and going to town. I defintely like books.

• Members
I think BibleTime is better than GnomeSword. It's a KDE app' date=' but I used it a lot while I was still on Gnome and Xfce.[/quote']Yea, I used BibleTime first, because it was a KDE app, but Aptitude said that there were errors... did something wrong all that time ago. Anyway, a couple of days later, I started to use GnomeSword2. I think it is more on the lines of preface? The beauty is that both BibleTime and GnomeSword2 have the same engine and content--much more than what you can get on a commercial CD--it wouldn't fit!!

• Members

I used e-sword for a while, but was dissapointed that you couldn't sync notes between the Windows Mobile version and the regular. Now that I am a MAC user, I am devoid of a bible software (I really don't like running xapps). As much as I live on the computer, there is nothing like opening a handful of Bibles and some commentaries, and going to town. I defintely like books.
Keep the MAC clean, aye? It is sad, but some people are so consumed with their computers that if they didn't have any Bible software that they are happy with, they might give up Bible study all together. Good to hear that the books are still being used!! Keep up the good work!

• Members

Its not the cleanness, its the implementation. Because of the extra app layer of the x emulator, it take two clicks to do what is normally one, etc. I use it, where I need to, but I do not like it ;-) I guess I am just overly particular. Even with windows, I was never thrilled with any of the software programs, and I would just get frustrated. Also, sometimes is just nice to unplug... I am sure all us "techies" understand.

• Members
I guess I am just overly particular.
Not at all. I would just limit that to "particular", not "overly particular".

Back when I was using Windows, I was the same to a certain degree. When you get to know all these different computer people, they all have, what I call "strange" preferences...

Also' date=' sometimes is just nice to unplug... I am sure all us "techies" understand.[/quote']I know what you mean, but many of the guys out there might think that you are crazy though :loco

Using Debian Linux, some people prefer either KDE or GNOME (then the odd Xfce user), but it is only preference, right? Well, they like to downgrade the other DE so much that you might feel like a great sinner if you use it. Excuse me, guys? This is all "opinion", not "life and death"... :loco

• Members

I have found Swordsearcher to be the best out of all the ones I have used.

Some friends of mine preferred E-Sword or Online Bible because of all the resources that came with it or that you could download - but every edition of Swordsearcher comes out with even more modules (commentaries, books, Bible dictionaries, etc.) - that I no longer need to keep these other Bible programs around. Also, too much junk is included in these other programs (ie. Catholic works, material by heretics or unbelievers, etc.).

With version 5.0 or higher, you can even make the layout even more efficient better to work with - just learned how to maximize it yesterday. Kind of cool. (If you have this version, look up in the help menu for "docking" - now the couple of quirks I had with the layout I wanted are gone).

• Members

For the Mac you can use a program made by the same people who make Bibletime/Gnomesword, called MacSword you can get it from Versiontracker.