• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Witnessing To A Mormon

• Members

I Have a Father that is in the Mormon Religion and he has gone off the deep end and i am tring to witness to him so if there is any body in here that could help me witness to him i would greatly enjoy the response and i would praise the Lord for ya'll.

Thank You

May God Bless You

• Members

There is literally a ton of stuff out there. Have you read any books on Mormonism yet? My other question would be is he lightly into Mormonism (a new convert) or is he a "temple worthy" Mormon? We just moved back from SLC--lived there 2 years. I'll have my hubby compile a list of good books for me tonight. I think he's read nearly everything there is.

• Members

[quote="bzmomo6"]There is literally a ton of stuff out there. Have you read any books on Mormonism yet? My other question would be is he lightly into Mormonism (a new convert) or is he a "temple worthy" Mormon? We just moved back from SLC--lived there 2 years. I'll have my hubby compile a list of good books for me tonight. I think he's read nearly everything there is.[/quote]
BZ is right, there is a lot good stuff out there.

Actually you can confront the error of their belief just by quoting right from their Pearl of Wisdom and their Doctrine book and you'll find out most of them don't really know WHAT the church believes. I am afraid that the "temple worthy" type Mormons DO know what they believe is in error to the Bible and have consciously made a choice to live in error, at least that is my perception.

• Members
Have you read any books on Mormonism yet? My other question would be is he lightly into Mormonism (a new convert) or is he a "temple worthy" Mormon? I'll have my hubby compile a list of good books for me tonight. I think he's read nearly everything there is.

Thank you
I have read some books on Mormonism. One of the books that i read was "A Struggle For Peace." by Cindy Benson a Baptist that has come out of the church. If you could get that list of books to me I would greatly thank you. And i know that he is heavy in the religion but not to the level of "temple worthy."

• Members

BZ is right, there is a lot good stuff out there.

Actually you can confront the error of their belief just by quoting right from their Pearl of Wisdom and their Doctrine book and you'll find out most of them don't really know WHAT the church believes. I am afraid that the "temple worthy" type Mormons DO know what they believe is in error to the Bible and have consciously made a choice to live in error, at least that is my perception.

Yes, the "temple worthy" Mormons often DO choose to live in error because they don't have an answer. My husband has spent a great deal of time witnessing to a temple Mormon who does baptism for the dead...the whole 9 yards. They DO occasionally get saved. I have a friend out in SLC who's dad is a stake bishop--she is one of the most active members of the church there. I know you're already doing this, but the biggest thing to begin with (and continue with) is prayer for God's intervention. I don't have a clue how much you know about Mormonism, but it is deep. It is a deep spiritual bondage, and physically as well because if it is found out that a married man is questioning Mormonism in a serious way, his Mormon wife will likely be counselled to leave him--and the Mormon church will assist her in doing so financially and setting her up with a better husband. This is especially true in Utah. (I'm sure the rest of the country is like, "What?!" In Utah there is a very thin line between "church and state")There are some really good books on Mormonism; that my husband recommended: Walter Martin--Maze of Mormonism (Walter Martin also has TONS of stuff on-line you can listen to--including debates with high ranking Mormons at public conferences.) Ed Decker--God Makers (there are also videos you can watch on-line), Larson--By His Own Hand Upon Papyrus (this is about the Lost Book of Abraham, and is so compelling that when the temple Mormon my husband was witnessing to found out, he went to one of the Mormon "experts" in it and was told flat out he would have to just take it by faith because all of the evidence pointed the other way! It bothered him greatly), and another source to check out on-line is "Lighthouse ministries" run by the Tanners--they usually have a good list of reccommmended books and other resources. There is also another group called "Living Hope Ministries" they have streaming video that you can watch on-line as well. As mentioned by the last person, some good evidence comes from inside their own books--the Tanners do a great job of hammering on that. Decker exposes a lot of the more sinister parts of Mormonism--I assure you it is true....I pesonally know quite a few ex-mormons! Beware, I will issue two disclaimers. The above sources are not all KJVo--they are still excellent. You will need to use KJV to witness to a Mormon--the other MV are not respected by them at all. Another thing to warn you about is that you cannot just hand any of these sources to a Mormon. These are on the "contraband" list and if they have these sources in their home and it is found out--they can be reprimanded. If they are temple-worthy, they will lose it. They are more for YOUR information in working with them, then for theirs. You might get a Mormon to watch the "Book of Abraham" or "DNA evidence" video put out by Living Hope Ministries. (I don't think they are banned yet??) If you can, they can get a free copy from their website. I don't know if this helps or not. There is way too much info. for me to write here to tell you how to witness to a Mormon. Whatever you do--keep praying for your father and get your church involved. Ask questions, "What do you think about __________?" and present your side of things from the Bible clearly without letting him take you down a rabbit trail off topic. Define what you mean when you use Biblical/church terminology. As you study Mormonism, you'll see we have the same phrases--they mean something TOTALLY different. Make sure you present the gospel and not just chip away at his faith in Mormonism, often when people DO come out of Mormonism, they are so hurt, that they become cold and hard against all religion. I'll be praying for you!

• Members

The Mormons use the KJV so you can read from their copy of the Bible.
That starts them "on-side".

Investigate their ideas on Baptism - they are baptismal regenerationist in a general sense.
(Baptism essential to salvation - so they say!)

So you need to be full bottle on that.

Also look at the thought that between the time of the Apostles and the time of the "New Revelations" to Joseph Smith there was no salvation possible under their regime.
Waht happened to all those people with no hope?

It is not difficult to show that their "New Revelations" are faulty.
Historical inaccuracies are all over the place.

Look up "Professor Anthon" whom they quote as supporting their translation of the "reformed Egyptian", but who actually wrote a letter of rebuttal, stating that the
mormon claim was "perfectly false".

Other happenings recorded in the mormon books are historically or geographically wrong.
For instance in 1 Nephi 2:4-9 it mentions somethign about a river entering teh red sea, but there isn't nor has there ever been a river emptying into the red sea.

silk is mentioned as being produced in america, but this has never been sucessfully grown in america.

There are plenty of others but remember that arguing from science or history will never be as useful as the Bible - It is the Word of God that is a twoedged sword.

It is not with our own sharp arguments and minds, but with the wisdom of God as revealed in His Word.

Show him that Jesus is NOT a created being, nor is He the brother of Satan.

Just use the fact that he will recognise the authority of God's Word, and make sure you know about the Deity of Jesus Christ, and the true relevance of Baptism.

These two will give you a good start.

• Administrators
Also look at the thought that between the time of the Apostles and the time of the "New Revelations" to Joseph Smith there was no salvation possible under their regime.
What happened to all those people with no hope?
The answer to this would be that they are in spirit prison, awaiting the baptism by proxy that the LDS provides (that's what the Mormon missionaries who came to our house for our learning sessions told us).

Excellent advice given here! The Mormons do accept the KJB. But to them (and this is how my mom's best friend's husband, who was married to his first wife in the temple, explained it to me), the KJB and the Book of Mormon are both necessary for life. They balance each other out (kind of like you have a chalk board. If you put one nail in the middle of the board, it will slip, but if you put two of them, one on each end, it will be secure - the Bible and the BOM are the nails). The problem with their claiming that, though, is that they don't read the Bible! They read the BOM (and the Pearl of Great Price, Doctrines and Covenants, and Book of Abraham) mostly.

Pray, pray, pray. As Bzmom said, it is a deep spiritual bondage. And you need to know your Bible - not just the parts that refute what Mormons teach. You need to know what the Bible says about God (remember, their belief is: as man is God once was; as God is man is becoming), about Jesus Christ (know what and where the Bible speaks of His diety) and be thorougly versed in salvation.

And then, let the joy of the Lord shine through you. LDS have happy moments, and they have large families. But they don't have true joy, they don't have peace. You let that shine through you so they can see it (not a put-on, the real thing), and the Holy Spirit will work...

• Members
The answer to this would be that they are in spirit prison, awaiting the baptism by proxy that the LDS provides (that's what the Mormon missionaries who came to our house for our learning sessions told us).

Excellent advice given here! The Mormons do accept the KJB. But to them (and this is how my mom's best friend's husband, who was married to his first wife in the temple, explained it to me), the KJB and the Book of Mormon are both necessary for life. They balance each other out (kind of like you have a chalk board. If you put one nail in the middle of the board, it will slip, but if you put two of them, one on each end, it will be secure - the Bible and the BOM are the nails). The problem with their claiming that, though, is that they don't read the Bible! They read the BOM (and the Pearl of Great Price, Doctrines and Covenants, and Book of Abraham) mostly.

Pray, pray, pray. As Bzmom said, it is a deep spiritual bondage. And you need to know your Bible - not just the parts that refute what Mormons teach. You need to know what the Bible says about God (remember, their belief is: as man is God once was; as God is man is becoming), about Jesus Christ (know what and where the Bible speaks of His diety) and be thorougly versed in salvation.

And then, let the joy of the Lord shine through you. LDS have happy moments, and they have large families. But they don't have true joy, they don't have peace. You let that shine through you so they can see it (not a put-on, the real thing), and the Holy Spirit will work...

Amen. They will use the KJV, but I should have told you that it is highly footnoted and "corrects" all those "errors" about Christ's deity etc. that you hold so dear. They are taught that "the Bible is God's Word in as far as it is translated correctly." (Meaning with Joseph Smith's corrections) You should do as much study as you can, but again, remember, our salvation is still by faith, and no amount of proof of anything can change that. Address areas of contradictions and problems with his religion when you can--delicately, but concentrate on the Word of God and prayer. You are in a spiritual battle and the only weapon you have is the sword of the Spirit. Pray! Pray! Pray!

• Members

If you wanna witness to mormons, this is what I did:

I read the book of mormon. And I did it cautiously, this is how:
For every page of the book of mormon I read, I read 2 pages of the KJV
As I read the book of mormon, I kept 5x9 post cards and a pen at my side, and when I found a direct contridiction in the text, I would write it down, and stick it between the pages, this helped keep me grounded in what I was reading
I prayed..... a LOT

I did this in one week, because I had a meeting with 2 mormons to debate them. The debate took about 4 hours, and at the beginning I told them "you'll have to reject the bible, or reject the book of mormon, by the end" I got them to say to the KJV "that's not right, they messed it up" and that's when I told them "I said at the start you'd have to reject one of the books, and you just rejected the bible.... anything more?" I didn't debate them for them, but for the people I knew would be there.

Oh, I love God.... near the end, I could feel the holy spirit, like a blanket of water, pour down upon me and the room, and thats when they got nervous and rejected the bible.... one of them asked "if I accept Jesus like you said, but stay a mormon, what then?" I explained they would still be going to heaven, but don't pretend spreading a false religion gets you favor from God, but if nothing else, accept Jesus, PLEASE accept Jesus..." He was about too, I truly know that, until the other guy gave him a look. I hope he took care of it later when he was alone. Got 4 saved from the debate though, people there eating lunch who stayed around listening... even the cook. I got to pick the place and totally picked it for the audience. Funny thing is, we had people break in to ask questions, such as "why does God let little babies get raped" I remember that one... I knew I was doing good cuz of the 5-7 interruptions, every question was directed at me, not the mormons lol.

Anyway, I guess my point is that you can easily punch holes in the book of mormon, if you wanna. If you want what I got, I can give it, but I'm sure there are people much smarter then me who have wrote bigger books lol. Request, I give, otherwise do what I did, it worked for me.