• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Question for mothers, wives, friends of soldiers!

• Members

I have a group of soldiers from Any Soldier that I have "adopted." I send them cards, letters, and care packages from time to time to help show them my support. They are a real humble bunch though and usually say anything is appreciated. Do any of you who personally know soldiers know what is best to send in care packages? They do recommend snacks, personal hygiene, and fun items, but that is still pretty vague. Also since it is so hot out there I'm afraid of what might melt along the way.

Anyone have any tips on what soldiers you know wanted in their care packages?? :puzzled:

• Members

I have a friend that was in Iraq a year or so ago and he said that they really like snacks with something sweet in it like the trail mix from Wal Mart. He said as far as hygiene tooth brushes and tooth paste are a major thing. As far as in the winter, hand warmers. Also maybe some cool paks for like sore muscles and such like. And most importantly Bibles. He said they like a good book to read and sending them a Bible shows more care for them than any snake ever could.

• Administrators

For the lady soldiers, feminine hand creams and shampoos are nice.

Wet wipes are great, too - they (all soldiers) use them to bathe with when shower facilities are not available. Make sure they are alcohol free; the wipes with lotion are the best.

Gatorade makes a powder that you can send for them to add to water.

Multi-vitamins. Sun screen. Tissues. Gold Bond medicated foot powder or baby powder. Neosporin. Icy Hot. Snack Crackers. Pickles (good for salt - they come individually wrapped). Cookies - especially homemade. Hand creams (Curel and Vaseline make really good moisturizing lotions)

Calling cards. This is probably one of the greatest things they can get. To be able to call home and hear their loved ones' voices...Even with cell phones, calling cards are a wonderful gift.

Stamps and stationery supplies so they can write home (many have email access, but writing home can fill some time). Pretty stationery for the ladies is always nice.

Letters. From anyone. Pictures drawn by little kids (especially pictures drawn specifically for the soldiers).

Bibles and good solid books. Also, books that are entertaining (clean!) would help pass the time.

Sermon cds. Many of the soldiers have access to the internet, so they could go on and listen if they wanted to, but sending certain cds might be good.

My son added just to use your imagination. Getting a package from home means so very much to our soldiers. Just to know they aren't forgotten...