• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Was the King James Bible itself inspired?

• Members
On 9/28/2021 at 8:05 PM, Pastorj said:

The translators of the KJV were not inspired.  God did not Breathe out the words of the KJV

God inspired the original penman and then preserved his Word.  This is critical to understand because the KJV is preserved and can be traced back from Generation to generation which is why I can hold up my KJV and call it inspired. It is also why I could embrace a modern translation if it followed the same process as the KJV.

It is also why I can hold up French, Spanish and other translations and call them inspired 

There are false teachers like Peter Ruckman who taught and pushed a double inspiration where God inspired the KJV.

Say what you want about Ruckman and his many issues but he got that part right. 

I'm so tired of hearing the Ruckman card played anytime this issue is brought up. 

This reminds me of how the Hitler card or racist card is played. Won't work for me.

All scripture is given by inspiration. When Paul mention that he was not referring to the originals or the original pen men.

• Members
27 minutes ago, SureWord said:

I'm so tired of hearing the Ruckman card played anytime this issue is brought up. 

This reminds me of how the Hitler card or racist card is played. Won't work for me.

All scripture is given by inspiration. When Paul mention that he was not referring to the originals or the original pen men.

All Scripture WAS given by "inspiration" of God....after that it was preserved, NOT reinspired. Inspiration of Scripture ended when the apostles and prophets had written the books for the Bible. Ruckman was wrong on the inspiration of the KJV.

• Members
39 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

All Scripture WAS given by "inspiration" of God....after that it was preserved, NOT reinspired. Inspiration of Scripture ended when the apostles and prophets had written the books for the Bible. Ruckman was wrong on the inspiration of the KJV.

I in no way believe the KJV was reinspired - I do not believe it ever lost its inspiration.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Quick means alive.

Seeing as we are to get all our beliefs from the Bible, PLEASE SHOW US where the Bible teaches what you stated in bold above.

• Members
37 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I in no way believe the KJV was reinspired - I do not believe it ever lost its inspiration.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Quick means alive.

Seeing as we are to get all our beliefs from the Bible, PLEASE SHOW US where the Bible teaches what you stated in bold above.

Is the Holy Spirit still breathing out new revelation? He illuminates the believers through the scriptures, but he doesn't continue to INSPIRE new scripture or translations. God does, however, preserve his word. Please, explain to us why you believe the KJV is "inspired." Proof please.

• Members

Who's referring to new revelation? No one in this thread. I already answered that point several times recently on these boards. The Bible says "All Scripture IS given by inspiration", not "Was". And there are no Bible passages anywhere that teach the Word of God loses inspiration somewhere along the way. In fact, Paul is stating to Timothy that the OT Scriptures he knew from a child was the inspired Word of God. How does that happen if only the originals were inspired and somehow lost their inspiration for some reason shortly thereafter?

• Members
12 hours ago, Jerry said:

Who's referring to new revelation? No one in this thread. I already answered that point several times recently on these boards. The Bible says "All Scripture IS given by inspiration", not "Was". And there are no Bible passages anywhere that teach the Word of God loses inspiration somewhere along the way. In fact, Paul is stating to Timothy that the OT Scriptures he knew from a child was the inspired Word of God. How does that happen if only the originals were inspired and somehow lost their inspiration for some reason shortly thereafter?

All Scripture had already been inspired and WRITTEN down and preserved. When it is translated into another langauge it is the PRESERVATION of the INSPIRED Word of God. It doesn't lose it's power or authority just because translations aren't inspired. 

• Members

Well, I have already presented earlier in this thread discussion my position concerning the continuance of "inspirational AUTHORITY" upon preserved copies and accurate translations of the Holy Scriptures (which I can accept as "derived inspiration," depending upon the definition of this phrase).

However, when handling the opening line of 2 Timothy 3:16, let us be sure to handle it with grammatical precision -- "All scripture IS GIVEN by inspiration of God."  Yes, this statement DOES speak in the present tense.  However, this statement ONLY speaks concerning the GIVING of Holy Scripture.  The statement is NOT that all Scripture is COPIED BY (by means of) inspiration of God.  The statement is NOT that all Scripture is TRANSLATED BY (by means of) inspiration of God.  The statement is ONLY that all Scripture is GIVEN BY (by means of) inspiration of God.  The Lord our God GAVE His Holy Word by means of inspiration, wherein holy men of God spoke/communicated it specifically as they were moved by the Holy Spirit of God (See 2 Peter 1:21).  As such, I am not aware of any passage which teaches that the copying or translating of Holy Scripture would be done BY (by means of) inspiration of God.  

On the other hand, there DOES remain the doctrine of PRESERVATION to be considered.

• Members
On 9/30/2021 at 5:55 PM, SureWord said:

Ruckman is a heretic and his followers should not be on this site. They follow a heretical teaching on the foundation of our beliefs, the preservation of the Word of God.

• Members
On 9/30/2021 at 1:52 PM, Jerry said:

Thanks Bruce. Your article was well worth the read. Passed it on to a couple friends, one of which really appreciated it.

I'm really happy to hear that.  I wrote it to be a blessing to others and I'm glad that it is.  All credit to my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

• Members
On 9/27/2021 at 10:05 AM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

The question here is NOT about what the Lord our God, the Almighty God, is able to do; rather, the question is about what the Lord our God has revealed concerning what He HAS done in this matter.  If anyone claims a teaching that is not accurate to what God's Word itself reveals as truth, then that teaching is false, even if that teaching sounds really good.

?

• Members
On 9/30/2021 at 1:52 PM, Jerry said:

Thanks Bruce. Your article was well worth the read. Passed it on to a couple friends, one of which really appreciated it.

Great.  One of the things that I value most when I study out a doctrine is "childlike faith".  I do not mean by this that I value naiveté or immature thinking.  I mean that I value simple trust in what God says and simple confidence in God himself.  Surely, this is a major principle taught by Jesus Christ himself in his word.

There was a remarkable man named Robert Dick Wilson who was a great scholar of the Old Testament and a great defender of its absolute accuracy.  Perhaps no one has ever been as qualified as he to defend the Old Testament from a linguistic and historical perspective.  He knew 45 languages. He was a Presbyterian (but I suppose that God has forgiven him of this :)).

Apparently he was also a man of simple faith, for it is reported that as he stood to give his conclusions after a life of study he began his address with these words: “Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so”.  Although I have studied the translation issue fairly extensively, that is the same kind of childlike faith that God has given me in the King James Version, and it has made a world of difference in my walk with Christ.