• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Was the King James Bible itself inspired?

• Members

I believe the original texts are the divinely inspired Word of God in its entirety, written by men as they were moved by the Holy Spirit, and that it is the sole authority for the Christian's faith and conduct. I believe the King James Version of the Bible is the preserved Word of God for teaching and preaching to English speaking people. This is what I will use when I quote scripture. I believe other English translations contain the Word of God including the latest Roman Church, Douay, authorized version, The New American Bible, Saint Joseph Edition. (2 Timothy 3.16-17; 2 Peter 1.20-21)

...the 1769 KJV fits me and I believe God is honored that I have it settled.

Besides the above...I cannot submit to memory the newer EVs. It's too much like casual conversation which, leads many to discard a great percentage of when someone is speaking. We have to remember this is God speaking to us and answering questions we have so, casual and discard are not options. The KJB makes me pause and think about the meaning also; in many cases I look up meaning. It causes me to meditate on God's Word and I know that pleases Him. (2 Timothy 3:15)

• Members

I believe the original texts are the divinely inspired Word of God in its entirety, written by men as they were moved by the Holy Spirit, and that it is the sole authority for the Christian's faith and conduct. I believe the King James Version of the Bible is the preserved Word of God for teaching and preaching to English speaking people. This is what I will use when I quote scripture. I believe other English translations contain the Word of God including the latest Roman Church, Douay, authorized version, The New American Bible, Saint Joseph Edition. (2 Timothy 3.16-17; 2 Peter 1.20-21)

...the 1769 KJV fits me and I believe God is honored that I have it settled.

Besides the above...I cannot submit to memory the newer EVs. It's too much like casual conversation which, leads many to discard a great percentage of when someone is speaking. We have to remember this is God speaking to us and answering questions we have so, casual and discard are not options. The KJB makes me pause and think about the meaning also; in many cases I look up meaning. It causes me to meditate on God's Word and I know that pleases Him. (2 Timothy 3:15)

:thumb:

• Members

It's an interesting question, and one I've never really settled on in my heart as to what I believe on it. The only I know for sure is that the KJV is God's perfect word. In the end, the only thing you can know for sure about the Bible is what the Bible says about itself.

Ps. 12:6-7, "The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
[7] Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever."

II Tim. 3:15-16, "And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

1. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God. Whatever Timothy had, Paul called it Scripture. Guaranteed he did not have the Hebrew originals on his desk, so that copy of copies that he had Paul said was scripture AND that it was given by inspiration. I guess the question is does "given by inspiration" refer to back when the originals were written or does it mean that the copies themselves are inspired? I tend to lean towards the former, but we do know for sure that we are correct in stating that a copy of copies can be given by inspiration.

2. God's word is pure. Wherever God's word is today, it's pure without error. In Jer. 36 ("many like words") we see that small variances from one edition to another do not change this fact that God's word is still pure.

3. God words are preserved for us. OBviously, we believe the fulfillment of that is the KJB.

4. God's words are purified. I think this is where things get sticky for people. It says it, right there plain in the text, that God's words are purified. Purified means made better. Now, when you take a Greek word that has 8 different interpretations in English, you come to a crossroads. You either "go back to the Greek" and tell people how that word in English could have been 7 other different words(anyone can do this, all you need is a lexicon), or you praise God for settling the issue as to what word should have been used by reading your King James Bible. One method magnifies man and his brain, the other method glorifies God.

Edited by Rick Schworer

• Members

Scripture says the original Scriptures were inspired and Scripture tells us God will preserve His Word. If one holds that the KJB is the pure, true Word of God then it would stand to reason that God guided the translators of the KJB to His preserved Word and enabled them to accurately translate that into the KJB.

Thus the KJB is a preservation of the inspired Word of God. There was no need for further inspiration.

• Members

Yeah, I'm a little hung up on the purified thing but I can see how that might be true. It seems to me that scripture is saying the Word is as pure as purified silver though. That's how I read it at least.

• Members

Yeah, I'm a little hung up on the purified thing but I can see how that might be true. It seems to me that scripture is saying the Word is as pure as purified silver though. That's how I read it at least.

I'm not an expert on this kinda stuff, I just know the KJB is perfect and it's God's word, and that I do not need an understanding of the original languages to know what God said (I did take 1 year of Greek, but I've since forgot it all). How the KJB got there, I'm not sure.

But here's an idea when it comes to being purified seven times:

1. Hebrew.
2. Aramaic.
3. Greek.
4. Old Syriac.
5. Latin.
6. German.
7. English.

Seven English Translations:

1. Wycliffe's
2. Tyndale's
3. Coverdale's
4. Great
5. Geneva
6. Bishops
7. KJV Edited by Rick Schworer

• Members

Purified simply means free from error/impurity. I think the "seven times" equalling Bible versions is really pushing things. "Seven" is simply the number of perfection, so silver purified seven times would denote the most perfect and impurity-free silver possible, which is what God's Word is. No hidden meaning....pure means pure. It is not saying that the Word of God, at one time, was NOT pure. Its simply using a word picture to show how pure it is.

• Members

Purified simply means free from error/impurity. I think the "seven times" equalling Bible versions is really pushing things. "Seven" is simply the number of perfection, so silver purified seven times would denote the most perfect and impurity-free silver possible, which is what God's Word is. No hidden meaning....pure means pure. It is not saying that the Word of God, at one time, was NOT pure. Its simply using a word picture to show how pure it is.

:amen::thumb:

• Members

It could very well be.

But it's an awefully big coincidence, doncha think? :bible:

• Members

It could very well be.

But it's an awefully big coincidence, doncha think? :bible:

Not really. Such a theory would seem to make the English Bible either the only preserved line or somehow special above others.

If not, then it would seem each language would have to have 7 Bible translations before they could have a perfect one too.

Of course none of this takes into account how this effects those Bibles translated into other languages after English. Nor does it factor in which base language Bible they translated from or whether they went with what manuscripts, both, or several of each.

• Members

One can manipulate pretty much any number to create coincidences and call them "acts of God"....

A bit off topic but Dr. David Jeremiah pointed this out when he gave several names of those predicted to be the anti-christ over the years. Those doing the predicting would use various mathematical means to do so and if one means didn't give them the results they wanted they would us another! :rolleyes: