• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

King James questions

Guest Guest

I'm looking for some help. My friend as e-mailed me with KJ questions that I done a pretty good job of answering until now. Any help would be appreciated.Here is his e-mail:

Hey, would you help me understand a few things. I've read before that the King James Bible was William Tyndale's prayer answered, but wasn't the "Great Bible" the first Bible accept by a king(King Henry VIII) to be translated? So would that be Tyndale's prayer answered?

Also, the seven times purified. There were 10 English Bibles including the KJV, so why did they omit the 3 other Bibles? It explains this in the link below, but I really don't understand it. Maybe you can help me understand it better.

Also, it is said that about 85% of Tyndale's translation is used in the King James Bible. Do you think they translated the texts and saw that Tyndale was correct on 85% of it or what? Lets study into this more deeply. I've used google to try and find some history sites on this information, plus the site below.

http://www.biblebelievers.com/Vance5.html

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Well, you can tell your friend that he's right for not understanding that article, because it's nonsense. The Bible saying that God's Words are purified seven times refers to their purity and completeness and has absolutely nothing to do with versions or translations of the Bible. Talk about pulling something out of a hat. I know some people who found Shakespeare in Psalms too. :thumb

Well, you can tell your friend that he's right for not understanding that article, because it's nonsense. The Bible saying that God's Words are purified seven times refers to their purity and completeness and has absolutely nothing to do with versions or translations of the Bible.

True... Don't even try to defend that article. It is based on a faulty premise.

• Members

I believe Vance is right on in what he says at the end of the article - and he answered your question in it in regards to there being seven English translations based on the preserved texts:

And thus we have our answer. The seven English versions that make the English Bibles up to and including the Authorized Version fit the description in Psalm 12:6 of the words of the Lord being "purified seven times" are Tyndale's, Matthew's, Coverdale's, the Great Bible (printed by Whitechurch), the Geneva Bible, the Bishops' Bible, and the King James Bible.

The Wycliffe, Taverner, and Douay-Rheims Bibles, whatever merits any of them may have, are not part of the purified line God "authorized," of which the King James Authorized Version is God's last one -- purified seven times.

The King James is the seventh in this line of English Bibles, built on the foundation of the precursors before it. It purified and perfected (ie. completed) the work that the precursors had begun before it. The ones before the KJV were the purifying of the English text - and the KJV has stood the test of time.

I believe this is a good APPLICATION of Psalm 12:6-7. Even without taking the precursors into consideration, the KJV itself went through a very thorough purifying process - the Bible was divided into six different groups, and each individual part of the Bible went through 14 revisions or checks before it was finished - so what we have now was purified and thoroughly tested by all those involved in the translation.

The ones before the KJV were the purifying of the English text - and the KJV has stood the test of time. I believe this is a good APPLICATION of Psalm 12:6-7.

With all due respect, I think to apply Psalm 12:6-7 to the KJV issue is a prime example of riping a verse out of context and misusing it. That verse was there long before the KJV or indeed any bible existed in English. It is about God preserving his Word and the "as silver purified seven times" was already true in Davids time. Regardless, the verse says "AS" silver purified seven times which was just an expression stating that it was as pure as it could possibly be. It was that way directly from God, no purifying needed. We don't really want to "wrest" scripture to prove our point. Doing so obscures the truth making us no better than anyone else "wresting" scripture. We don't want to be guilty of using something that sounds good but yet is highly misleading. The fact that it "preaches", is a poor reason to use it. :cool

P.S. stretching the truth for a "point" is a pet peeve of mine. :wink

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

With all due respect, I think to apply Psalm 12:6-7 to the KJV issue is a prime example of riping a verse out of context and misusing it. That verse was there long before the KJV or indeed any bible existed in English. It is about God preserving his Word and the "as silver purified seven times" was already true in Davids time. Regardless, the verse says "AS" silver purified seven times which was just an expression stating that it was as pure as it could possibly be. It was that way directly from God, no purifying needed. We don't really want to "wrest" scripture to prove our point. Doing so obscures the truth making us no better than anyone else "wresting" scripture. We don't want to be guilty of using something that sounds good but yet is highly misleading. The fact that it "preaches", is a poor reason to use it. :cool

P.S. stretching the truth for a "point" is a pet peeve of mine. :wink

Psalms 12 is also one of my pet peeves, as is taking things out off context regarding any topic, as I believe it's being dishonest, even if such dishonestly has good intentions.

Some (me included) would argue that Psalms 12:6-7 is not just talking about the words of YHWH, but also people (in fact, every verse in that chapter except for verse 6 is speaking of people). The KJV translators understood this and included a margin note (sorry I highlighted verse 8 as well by mistake) to explain not what, but who "them" is in verse 7. Unfortunately, publishers have chose to remove these very helpful notes in modern KJVs.

Rule #6 of King James required all explanations of Hebrew and Greek words to be included in the text, and only where the text cannot "express" the words "briefly and fitly", then and only then are the translators to include them in the margin. Some will dismiss the margin notes in the KJV, but I feel the very few that the KJV included are extremely important (because rule #6 discouraged all notes except the absolutely necessary ones- the ones there must be important) as it gives a more complete and honest translation. The translators felt that "Him" which appeared in the Hebrew, was not expressed fully in their translated English text, so they included it as a note.

• Members
LOL' date=' Psalm 12:6-7 is absolutely the single most important passage in the entire Bible and it has EVERYTHING to do with the KJV.[/quote']
Oh wow, if I ever teach on that verse in Korea, I'll have to remember to explain to them why their Korean Bible talks about the KJV and why that verse doesn't belong in their Bible. :bang:

• Members

This is the perfect case of an ambiguous pronoun in english and the misuse that it leads to. Good posts to Kevin, Seth, Kubel...

Brother Parrish... I don't think I've had the chance to welcome you... welcome to OLB. I must say, the most important verse in scripture would be hard to choose. There are so many, Jesus' cry from the cross, His resurrection, his final command to his church before ascension.... and you choose Ps 12:6-7. Sounds like you may have misplaced priorities friend.

• Members
This is the perfect case of an ambiguous pronoun in english and the misuse that it leads to. Good posts to Kevin, Seth, Kubel...

Brother Parrish... I don't think I've had the chance to welcome you... welcome to OLB. I must say, the most important verse in scripture would be hard to choose. There are so many, Jesus' cry from the cross, His resurrection, his final command to his church before ascension.... and you choose Ps 12:6-7. Sounds like you may have misplaced priorities friend.

I haven't misplaced anything. Sorry guys, I settled this one long ago.
For me it's like this?If God is not preserving His perfect Word for us today, none of those other verses matter. Thanks for the welcome!